Author Topic: Flight news  (Read 3812 times)

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Flight news
« on: July 01, 2021, 01:16:05 PM »
After booking my bargain £5 back up flights with Ryanair yesterday I was chatting to my neighbour, a Ryanair pilot. A couple of interesting things he said:
1. Ryanair purchased a lot of fuel last year when the price was low, it has a use by date and is too expensive to return, so that is why he believes Ryanair are flying so much compared to others.
2. He predicts low fares next year owing to a price war as many overseas carriers have had huge government bail outs which need to be paid back. I thought the opposite would be true and that by next year pent up demand would drive prices up.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Flight news
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 01:17:06 PM »
Thanks, BAJ. That's very interesting.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 06:33:14 PM »
Yes, that is interesting, BAJ!

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 11:09:57 AM »
Just read online that TUI are closing their base at Edinburgh next year, shocking if true  >:(.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 12:36:06 PM »
I wonder if they will close other regional bases to consolidate their costs.

Offline Scottygirl

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 01:00:29 PM »
Just read online that TUI are closing their base at Edinburgh next year, shocking if true  >:(.

We are already booked for June 22 from Edinburgh with TUI for Little Prince ! Why would the capital of Scotland need TUI !!! Ridiculous if true Winkie x

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 02:43:15 PM »
I think the fate of regional hubs is very much in the balance, unfortunately. I would rank Edinburgh as far higher in the importance stakes than Newcastle or Leeds. As a capital city, it's hardly even regional! Mind you, closing a base does not mean the extinction of service: just no planes and crews sited there. It takes 20 minutes to fly a plane in from Glasgow to provide a flight.

Offline Scottygirl

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 03:36:41 PM »
I think the fate of regional hubs is very much in the balance, unfortunately. I would rank Edinburgh as far higher in the importance stakes than Newcastle or Leeds. As a capital city, it's hardly even regional! Mind you, closing a base does not mean the extinction of service: just no planes and crews sited there. It takes 20 minutes to fly a plane in from Glasgow to provide a flight.

That’s true Jimbo, hopefully services will still be available.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 07:21:18 PM »
I'm sure they will. It's expensive keeping planes and crew in an area - plus the maintenance people and equipment.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni