Author Topic: English Baked Beans, Bananas & Chinese Shops.  (Read 4486 times)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
English Baked Beans, Bananas & Chinese Shops.
« on: February 26, 2021, 07:15:35 PM »
Now living here of course I enjoy my Greek feta and other local things. We grow our own veggies season to season and enjoy this.  However our man on line that delivers 'other stuff' this may include Bisto Gravy Granules and Heniz Ketchup, English Baked Beans and Bacon amongst many other things is still waiting how to go forward........
You must consider he supplies local supermarkets too around resort not just SS.  Maybe if you are here for a week or 2 you may not think about this so much.  But you need your UK beans and Bacon for your English Brekkie? If we go into importing with VAT etc how much will the costs increase?  No Idea?
Now previously I ordered via a UK website our clothes on line via M&Co, M&S , Next etc but now we are having to pay import duty and VAT.  This makes it no longer viable to support UK companies.  I could go to one of the many Chinese Shops (poor quality but Greek Government backed I believe) shops springing up everywhere.  So my dear friend if you see me in torn rags you will know why.  LOL. 
Now back in the early 80's when I was a rep here we couldn't purchase Bananas only the green, bitter small variety via the Cretan merchants.  My father was a Greengrocer he always arrived at the airport with lovely Bananas for the customs men and us as reps.  It was like Christmas mid season.     
We also wait and see on this issue too.......
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:19:33 PM by Lesley »

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: English Baked Beans, Bananas & Chinese Shops.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 08:42:56 PM »
We decided that Greek baked beans were actually better than Heinz!

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 09:00:04 PM »
me too Kiknos are lovely

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 11:33:06 PM »
Staying in the elevated heights of Tsaros with no transport apart from tired legs does focus one's mind on the the food shelves in the supermarket. I prefer Greek tomato ketchup - it has more tomatoes and less vinegar. The eggs are usually very good, so omelettes are a must. The bacon is not so great, but infinitely better than what you can get in the USA.

When I lived in the Zambian bush, about twice a year we managed to get tinned bacon. It's not great - but when you've been yearning for it for six months it tastes divine! I used to go regularly to Lindos, on Rhodes, and I always took the reps cheese and a cauliflower. That's what they wanted. 'Always be nice to the reps' is sound advice, I'm sure you'll agree. It's amazing what some of them will do for a slice of cheddar.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 10:20:49 AM »
and talking of bacon, whilst working in Egypt for almost 6 months, Aris' birthday fell during this time.  Darling where do you want to to go for your Birthday Dinner?  It took all of 2 seconds for his answer.   The Hard Rock Cafe!  Why?  Because if was the only place you could get a Bacon Burger.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 11:16:41 AM »
 ;D

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 03:48:10 PM »
Yes a strong Yellow Cheese could always sway us back then LOL x

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 04:33:31 PM »
The food on Lindos was generally appalling. You did not go to Lindos for a culinary experience. At that time all the "Villa Girls" had to have Cordon Bleu certificates.

But there's only so much you could do with the available produce. Vegetables? Forget it. The pork was drilled from concrete pigs. The "lamb" was from geriatric animals.

So - you had great cooks desperate for spices and fresh ingredients. Win win!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 05:25:43 PM »
Lesley, I'm sure people would be glad to bring things over for you, woudn't want to see you in rags.
Back in the day when things weren't so easily available in Corfu I have taken over a tape deck, trainers,an iron and various clothing. It invariably happened a few weeks before our holiday we'd get a phone call with a request for something or other.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 05:56:15 PM »
Thank you that is really kind - in fairness I don't need anything I am happy to buy food locally and we grow so many seasonal veggies ourselves, clothes are not an issue, apart from I am not going to support Chinese Shops again would prefer to buy locally when/if needed - clothes are materialistic afterall.  What do you need in 40c not a lot.  Come Winter we all stay home - even more so this Winter!!! Lockdown Day 113 2nd time around.

Was just thinking pre Greece being in the EC we would as reps bring everything needed over from UK (no 15, 20, 23 kilos or excess luggage controls back in the 80's) 6 months, shampoos even tampax etc and since they joined we have been spoilt with buying in from UK online.  Due to Brexit our options are now limited or have tax and vat added so just something to consider as us as locals and holidaymakers. Even pre Brexit I see many guests bring shampoos, deodorants over - not surprising really - I went to a larger supermarket the other day a roll on Dove deodorant was 3.50 for 1 - no pound shops here buy 3 for pay 2 etc.

I only need strong yellow English cheese and Ploughman's Squeezy chunky Pickle well also Bisto Granules should our man can't find the way - but we wait and see.  Jimbo cauliflowers are easy as we grow them and Broccoli in our garden.  Our tomatoes and lettuces will be so tasty too with our wonderful sunshine we do not grow anything under glass or forced.

So pardon the pun - But more food for thought re Brexit which I and many others just took for granted.

Actually talking about Cauli's that our Supper this evening Cauli, Leek and Bacon bake au gratin with - nope not yellow cheddar a local white cheese to make the sauce.

Wishing All A Happy Weekend  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:50:34 PM by Lesley »

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 03:11:24 AM »
I had to read this thread just to see how the items in the title were linked 😂

Offline hobbes

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 04:07:53 PM »
Lesley we have postponed our Canadian holiday to next year and we are booked in for the end of September again so nearer the time I will ask you if there is anything you want-I know lots of expats around the world always seem to want marmite and custard-hopefully not together!
I guess you must already be nearly full when we come as we didn't get offered the new block this time by Jet2 so no chance of our lovely end room!

See you in September, Julie and Steve

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 11:11:01 AM »
Thank You Julie & Steve - Give them a ring and ask if any Superior are available (they do go quickly as there are only 4) if there has been a cancellation?  - Wishing you a lovely weekend and see you in September.......
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 09:45:02 AM by Lesley »

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni