Author Topic: Best Restaurant or Taverna  (Read 25282 times)

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Best Restaurant or Taverna
« on: August 29, 2020, 04:00:29 AM »
I do realise that we "oldies" have done this previously but come on let's give it another go!  My four preferences are:

1. Olympia.
2.Fantasea.
3. Barolo.
4. Brusko.

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Best Restaurant or Taverna
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 11:05:56 AM »
1. Mistral
2. Olympia
3. Gravia
4. Fantasea.
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 11:08:55 AM »
Morning Rod

We always eat in Nafsika,  but also like

2 Stars

Yiannis next to Aspa supermarket

Olympia

Offline valfarrell

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 12:32:39 PM »
Ours would be

1 Nafsika
2 Zorbras
3 O manthos
4 Barras  ( for its friendliness and location)

Hope to be there eating out next year.

geordieborn

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 01:24:31 PM »
After being absent for many years, so based on last year only, and the fact we could not have eaten any more than we did!
Manthos…..
The others we ate at and really liked were Fantasea, Nafsika and Beachcomer. Only ate at the Mare Deus (Athina pool ) for lunch, but it might as well have been another dinner the amount we ate there! I think out of the 17 days we were there we had lunch there most of the days. The young kids working there were lovely and very good at dealing with lots and lots of tables. Any other lunch being again at Manthos where the two day time guys looking after you were superb.
I wish we had the time and inclination to try other places for dinner. We did look, but those mentioned above covered just about every meal the other places were offering.  The choice of food is so much wider than many years back (or we have learnt to be more adventurous). But there is probably still room for improvement  for all of them. Manthos our favourite by far, but the guy taking orders needs some lessons …. Yeh, yeh I guess he is likely the man in charge – well he could learn from some of the others! Beachcomber could definitely do with a varying menu AND has to offer espresso (Manthos, Nafsika , Akrotiri and Mare Deus had great espresso). Nafsika is hard to judge because we’ve went there for so many years and despite it being variable in terms of quality and service over the years, it has been super, but it probably is in need of a bit of an uplift? Fantasea we only went to twice and had for some reason always avoided in the past. It was a really good surprise, food similar to Manthos in some ways, but not quite the same quality. In the old area ALL could do with offering breakfast or a more varies choice! The only place we found suitable for us was Akrotiri and boy that was some hike ??? [size=78%]![/size]

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 02:03:58 PM »
Agree regards the Manthos waiter, rather rude last year, did not seem interested in taking our order when we visited in June, went again in September, different class, amazing service and food, with a view to die for too.

For me....

Olympia
Manthos
Athena Pool Bar for lunches
Tasty Corner..........people watching paradise  ;D
If its not one thing,its your mother.

geordieborn

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 02:35:47 PM »
Agree regards the Manthos waiter, rather rude last year, did not seem interested in taking our order when we visited in June, went again in September, different class, amazing service and food, with a view to die for too.

For me....

Olympia
Manthos
Tasty Corner..........people watching paradise ;D

Have to say there are many reasons, after the food, to rate a place upon and the above is one ;D

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 04:23:41 PM »
I'd rate all of these equal for nosh and fun:

Nafsika
Yianni and Vaso
Zorbas
Mistral
Beachcomber

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 02:30:58 AM »
Beachcomer - though I do think they need to vary the menu - it's been much the same since it opened in 2007.
Olympia - it's had it's ups and downs but has been consistently good the last couple of years
Zorbas - mainly for the atmosphere to be honest
Manthos - old and new

We do like Yiannis Grill and loved The Sunset when it was open - do miss that place.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 01:49:25 AM »

For me....

Olympia
Manthos
Tasty Corner..........people watching paradise  ;D

This year Manthos does not have the same waiting staff. I wouldn’t like to speculate who the waiter was you found rude last year but, Winkie and Geordieborn I would be amazed if it was Andreas who took it over last year and continues to run it this year. He has a real passion for customer service and I have never seen him rude or even indifferent, everyone welcomed with enthusiasm. He runs it and serves his mums food having moved from many years running Romanza restaurant and bar. This year owing to the uncertainty of the season he is running daytime service on his own and has a waiter, Akis, with him in the evening who I understand was at the Nafsica. He has been really busy despite the lower numbers of tourists, which is a testament to the quality of food and service. If anyone has a visit coming up then try it, I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 02:09:31 AM »
Ok, so this is based on this years visit. Returned home today and was only there 10 nights so could not even get around all of our usual. After my comments above it will be no surprise to learn I place Manthos up there. We had lunch there most days and evening meal twice. Some tavernas/ restaurants we ate at this year we were a little disappointed with compared to previous visits, but this we put down to the particular dishes we chose. Service was as usual; friendly, warm and welcoming at all. Top four:
1 Manthos
2 Romanza restaurant, I know it’s a hell of a walk if you are not staying there ( we were) but the chefs food was outstanding. The family took over the restaurant and pool bar last year, Dad is the chef and the three sons run the front of house. Outstanding food.
3 Beachcomber
4 Yiannis family restaurant

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 02:11:07 AM »
Beachcomer - though I do think they need to vary the menu - it's been much the same since it opened in 2007.
Olympia - it's had it's ups and downs but has been consistently good the last couple of years
Zorbas - mainly for the atmosphere to be honest
Manthos - old and new

We do like Yiannis Grill and loved The Sunset when it was open - do miss that place.
I had the best bekri ever at Sunset.  I think I have spelled it right.   :-\

geordieborn

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 01:43:19 PM »
This year Manthos does not have the same waiting staff. I wouldn’t like to speculate who the waiter was you found rude last year but, Winkie and Geordieborn I would be amazed if it was Andreas who took it over last year and continues to run it this year. He has a real passion for customer service and I have never seen him rude or even indifferent, everyone welcomed with enthusiasm. He runs it and serves his mums food having moved from many years running Romanza restaurant and bar. This year owing to the uncertainty of the season he is running daytime service on his own and has a waiter, Akis, with him in the evening who I understand was at the Nafsica. He has been really busy despite the lower numbers of tourists, which is a testament to the quality of food and service. If anyone has a visit coming up then try it, I don’t think you will be disappointed.
Glad to hear you had a good time BAJ and thanks for the updates. Yes, I’m pretty sure the guy was in charge at Manthos, and was indeed called Andreas. Different people different views on what is and is not good service/attitude. I would not go so far as to say we found him rude and this impression of him came very , very early in our holiday, first evening visit in fact! Saying that we continued to go there the entire holiday and would do so again as the food , location and views were superb. The young girl and well built guy a lunch time were the exact opposite in as much as they quite laid back, but knew exactly when and what to do without having to try to demonstrate this all the time. Perhaps Andreas having the additional responsibility and a young business will be different over time. It’s odd for us as all the previous years when Manthos had the place we never went! More so when we think how well we knew (and still do) the old fox…

Offline hobbes

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 05:19:09 PM »
We never got into Manthos as there was no menu for us to peruse so we didn't bother!
Funnily enough we have similar issues at Waves-like the menu, love the location but there has always been one chap there who acts like he's doing us a big favour letting us eat there so we stopped bothering! So strange when everyone else welcomes us with open arms. Our faves would be ;

Olympia
Zorbas
Little Prince-Steve loves their sizzling steak, the dish you can wear as well as eat....
Brusko

Honourable mention to the bakery for their pain au chocolate-I don't know what sort of chocolate they use in them but it tastes like "Old Jamaica"....My favourite memories from last year were eating them for brekkie on the balcony overlooking the Vicky pool and the sea, and just thinking-"It doesn't get better than this"....

geordieborn

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 05:52:52 PM »
Yes, finding menus can be a bit harder these days, never with Nafsika mind you! Waves is on the road at the top of the back little ally, they likely need one on the beach! We had a coffee there as we do with most places to suss them out for eating, guy was okay and friendly enough, but the espresso awful! Same with Manthos a coffee and water early morning and request to see the evening menu (which were on the bar in any case). But I agree it would probably be better to have something outside, but then again when you are full most nights and change the menu often, perhaps it's not worth their effort?

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni