Author Topic: This Year  (Read 9324 times)

Offline gbh5754

• View Profile
This Year
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:51:58 AM »
We would have loved to have come back this year but we have booked for Egypt found an all inclusive deal too good to miss.maybe come back next year? :) :) :) :)

don

Re: This Year
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:53:02 AM »
Been there................ Prefer San Stef  but you'll have a great time.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 01:11:53 AM »
Been there too - December - lovely but San Stef is hard to beat!
Tip
Take BIMUNO - Tesco sell it - or a pharmacy - google it - you need it in Egypt - trust me!! and it works!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline gbh5754

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 12:33:26 AM »
Thanks for the tip found it online ok will take some before and during our stay thanks once again. :) :) :)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 02:24:16 AM »
The problem with Egypt is not so much the food - (careful of water - bottled only), it's the banknotes.
They are full of nasty germs.
You will not see toilet rolls on sale in the locals shops - only in hotels. - - -  Fact!
Also not a lot of water in the dessert regions, so think about it -
notes handled by a hand that's not so clean!!
Always wash hands after handling money - before eating!!
Take a small gel hand cleaner in your bag - and the Bimuno - and bottled water - check that salads are washed in treated water and you will be fine and safe from tummy bugs!!

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 02:26:50 AM »
Tried Egypt.............. Tried a week no food and on drip in hospital for a week after... San Stef please.
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 02:29:18 AM »
I was also ill for almost 2 weeks, because I handled the banknotes to tip while eating a bagette!
Linda & I ate the same - she was not ill! Point proved - Sandra handles the cash!!

don

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 02:44:15 AM »
The Cairo trots are when you pass a very solid stool ....................... But a bar stool ..... OUCH!!!

Offline Colin

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 03:27:59 AM »
Egypt sounds like a s**t place!

Offline kemo

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 11:35:25 AM »
We have never fancied Egypt now after reading above reports it is certainly a no go area.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 01:47:06 PM »
Don't get me wrong - it was great there - wonderful Hotel and Beach - lovely people.
Just take simple precautions and you can enjoy a brilliant holiday!!
I was aware - I just relaxed and forgot!
I was then able to pass bar stools through the eye of a needle until I eventually saw the GP and got anti-biotics.
After all this - I read the article in the Daily Mail about Bimuno a pre-biotic, which they did many trials (inc. Blind trials) with.
Another friend went to Egypt and used it - (I told them about it), in Jan, they both had "runs" free holidays - so it seems to work fine.

YANNIS26

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 02:05:26 PM »
Hi All
I thought i would join the debate re holidays in Egypt.
Would i go to Egypt in June in preference to San Stefanos,no way.
Would i go to Egypt in January in  preference to the Canaries for a fly & flop,definately.
The reason is i was a regular visitor to the Canaries in January but over the last few years the weather has deteriorated or my blood has got thinner with age.
This year i visited Dahab in Egypt and had a wonderful relaxing holiday.I stayed at the Iberotel Dahabeya and everything about it was first class.The weather was in the high 20s all week and neither Pauline or i had any problems with stomach bugs.
The one thing you must do when visiting Egypt is preplan.
1 Check a web site like Trip Advisor and pick a highly rated hotel in your price range.Do a thorough check of  the reviews paying particular attention to food quality and absence of reviewers complaints of stomach bugs.
2 Do not handle Egyption money.Pounds are widely accepted everywhere i took a supply of pound coins as tips.Having said that the service was first class whether you tipped or not.
3 Stomach upset treatments.I do not know anything about the one Tony recommended but i do know the
vast majority of British remedies do not work. At the first sign of a problem go to the local Pharmacy their remedies work very quickly.
4 Ensure the hotel uses treated water in all food preparation and ice making.
5 Take with you and use on a regular basis a good quality gel hand cleanser,especially before meals.
All these precaution have been mentioned previously by Tony but if you follow the Boy Scouts motto Egypt is a wonderful place for a relatively cheap A/I holiday in Winter

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:10:09 PM by YANNIS26 »

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 03:49:05 AM »
Yannis that is spot on - and we did all the above - I just messed up with the banknotes on one occasion!!
If someone wants to stay in Sharm-el-Sheikh, I can highly recommend the Hotel we stayed in - plenty of good write-ups on it on various sites.
The Royal Albatros Moderne Beach Hotel in Nabq Bay, close to a nice shopping / restaurant complex as well.
Better weather in winter - 5 hours flight - nice people.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni