Author Topic: This Will Totally Ruin San Stephanos  (Read 72451 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Re: This Will Totally Ruin San Stephanos
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 11:51:34 PM »
Here is the translation page:
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=el&u=http://aioliko.com/&ei=DDhKS-jyLNTLjAe8he2ABw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.aioliko.com/%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

I just checked the Agni site on this - so with thanks to them - as this is an important subject - I will reproduce a bit of the thread!
Apologies if I have done the wrong thing! I have given credits!

"Sunnypop" =  say's - there is already a long thread on this subject. I know I started it! But don't fret too much about this proposed wind farm, it is not going to happen, it was turned down by all councils involved in December!!
A private energy firm made a proposal, it was turned down. End of.
Although, let's hope for a more realistic and thoughtful proposal next time
http://www.agni.gr/message_boards/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=51987&ReturnPage=&PagePosition=0&ThreadPage=1

"Rocky & Bill" = say's - There was talk a couple of years ago about a wind farm near the top of the Pantokrator. With my journalist hat on I contacted the company concerned and asked for further information - never heard anything back though!
The company behind this was 'enova' and if you're interested their article relating to it a 24MW wind farm on the island of Corfu and the application for 4 MW solar project in the same location can be found here fourth item down.
http://www.enova.de/ccms/index.php3?hid=049216&spid=2

There is also a FACEBOOK GROUP on this:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=253346864758&ref=mf

That's it - just read the thread if you are still worried!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Holistica

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 12:14:31 AM »
Just signed it - thanks Tony for the translation link - I couldn't find the translate button either.

We heard a bit about this in the summer - and I'm appalled at the idea. Not nice for the tourists or the locals. Who wants to have the beautiful view spoiled by this ?? Our house looks over the sea - I don't really want to have to sit and look at this from my balcony.

It would certainly affect tourism I'm sure - as if tourism isn't already affected!

Honestly - who's thinking all these ideas up!!

Offline Holistica

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 12:18:18 AM »
Was just thinking also - this not only will affect tourism - what about the fishing??

As we all know there is still a busy harbour there and lots of our Greek friends are fishermen. There's another industry going on in our villages and that will be affected too. I spoke to a fisherman in November about this and he said its going to be a real problem.

Whatever next ??  ???

zoe

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 12:37:59 AM »
thanks for the link tony have signed

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 01:01:55 AM »
I've now done a lot of reading on this - I hope - I guess - that it may not go ahead - loads of opposition and any Greek Politician who backed it would never get re-elected if it kills tourism.
Seems that locally, anyway it has been rejected.
Lets hope so!!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 01:04:08 AM »
Lets hope for one and alls sake that it doesn't get the go ahead. It would truly spoil San Stefanos for everyone.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 01:08:31 AM »
Well I don't want the noise drifting in, never mind the caustic view!!

Offline pembo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 02:24:47 AM »
I am not sure how many people realise this but plans are being drawn up to build a huge Wind Farm just off shore from San Steph that will totally ruin the town and probably the tourist trade on which it depends.

As the Website below explains the proposal is to build 300 Wind Turbines each 550feet high, they will be situated around each of the Diapontian islands including Donkey Island just off the coast of San Steph.

http://www.aioliko.com/

This site if built will totally destroy the San Steph seascape, who will want to lie on the beach and relax in San Steph with the noise and flicker from 300 Wind Turbines for company? The famous San Steph sunset will be broken up by the line of these huge structures and the flicker at sunset will be cast across the town at dusk.

Construction of the Wind Farm will involve the movement of thousands of heavy plant and machinery and such a large industrial construction site will have a profound affect om the remote Corfu North East landscape.

If you look at the Website you will see a map of the proposed Wind Farm location and as you can see the closest turbines will be just half a mile from the beach and will tower 550feet above the sea, a similar height to Blackpool Tower.

If this goes ahead then many people including myself would be put off visiting San Steph and I am worried that it could destroy the tourist trade in the town.

If you are worried as well please sign the petition on the Website and conserve San Steph for the locals and tourists alike.

Andy
Thanks for the info Andy. We have got quite a few peope to sign the petition, even people who have never been to San Stef are signing it.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 05:10:45 PM »
Yes - I agree Pembo - I am doing the same - I don't think it will go ahead - or if we can stop it if it does!
But by god we can DO OUR BEST TO TRY!!
You won't stop it by doing nothing - that's for sure!
I am rounding up people to sign it!

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
    • arillas.com
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 11:44:57 AM »
Dear Friends
I must point that this is not a problem of san stefanos only, but it concerns THE WHOLE ISLAND OF CORFU!!!
The proposed development of an industrial wind farm  in the area of north west Corfu has been objected by the Local councils of  Esperion And Agios Georgios ,  ( North West Corfu).

Soon we are waiting for the objection of the local council of Thianli ( North east Corfu) And the Prefecture of Corfu.

All the associations of Corfu have objected this proposition including the ASSOCIATION OF CORFU TRAVEL AGENTS   , villa Owners, Hotel Owners and Hotel Directors, The tourist guides   Environmental and cultural organisations and many others.

All Objections among with the first part of aprox 3000 signatures from Corfiots and friends of Corfu have been presented by a committee of citizens of North Corfu and the diapontian Island to all the governmental services and offices in charge,

as well as in our Corfu members of the Greek parliament.

However more signatures are  collected through our website www.aioliko.com which is currently only in Greek language as we believe that Such news published on the internet especially on touristic resort sites have the potential of giving the public a wrong idea of what’s going on.

Such a development has not been authorized by the state and is not going to happen without the acquiescence of the local population.

Currently there is action being taken by local organizations and active citizens in order to inform and consult the local councils and citizens as well as every governmental and environmental authority in Greece and European community..

In such an area where tourism associated with the island’s natural beauty is the main source of development, we have to be careful in the fact of how we are going act.

We aim not to create panic since no building permits have been issued. 

Such news travel rapidly around the world and can be used also against us from any foreign mass media and competitive tourist enterprises. Therefore we have not published any of our website’s content in foreign  languages as it could possibly turn potential customers away from booking their holiday or investing in this area.

However, we have in our mind that if larger publicity needs to be taken then we will be ready to inform the rest of the world about it.

never the less, we are spreading the fact by word to mouth, we are collecting signatures from the local population and friends of the island and we organize public meetings with the authorities and citizens of the island in order to find ways and secure that this would never happen.  you are more than welcome to sign our petition online at http://aioliko.com/index.php/silogi-ypografon.html  or if you live in Corfu you may contact us in order to get a signature-leaflet  where you can  sign manually and find others who want to do the same.

Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7  Arillas
49081 Corfu
0030 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
San Stefanos Online Admin Team

YANNIS26

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 12:42:33 PM »
Hi Dimitris
I can assure you that this San Stefanos Forum is right behind you in their opposition to the wind farms.I urge every member of our forum to sign the petition highlighted in your posting.
Thanks for the further information.
Yannis26
PS
Following Dimitris posting i have used the link supplied & registered my objection.The link came up in English so no translation problems.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 04:09:44 PM by YANNIS26 »

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 02:33:48 AM »
Thanks for the info Dimitris - Yannis put it very well!

Offline birtman

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 07:58:59 PM »
signed today.!!!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 01:00:07 AM »
I saw three of the same sized windmills today near the wide river (Avon???) close to Somerset/Welsh borders - M5/M4 - couldn't miss it.
Horrible to view - and so big!!

Offline lufcsahb

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 12:11:20 AM »
I read this board a lot and this post horrified me.  Thankfully it now seems it's not going to happen but I have signed the petition just in case. x

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni