Author Topic: Disability in SanStef  (Read 7883 times)

Offline cornishmaid18

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Disability in SanStef
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:24:17 PM »
I am hoping someone will be able to help!
My husband is unable to walk far and uses a wheelchair to get about when necessary but we were able to enjoy a great 2 weeks in San Stefanos in August by staying at the Nafsika which was handy because of it's proximity to the beach and he could manage on crutches.
From the Nafsika we were able to "push" to the newer part of the resort, which to be honest wasn't easy ( a bit hilly up from Margarita's super market!!) but we managed but some parts of the resort were simply not accessible.
We would like to return with our family next summer and the original plan was for the two of us to go back to the Nafsika and get an apartment for the girls close by.
I would like to be able to get a place for all of us but there are so many hills around that anything too far from the road is a no no - unless we maybe hire a quad bike for the time there? Cost of car hire for an automatic transmission car is prohibitively expensive( we tried thru Noula at SS travel), but automatic transmission on a quad would be fine.
Apart from an incident when a girl went thru the railings at the Beachcomber one morning at breakfast during our stay I think this may be an answer to our probs. Does anyone have an email address for Spiros please? - I am hoping he may do me a deal for 2 weeks! I have a phone no. but not brave enough to phone cold.
Would be really grateful for any advice etc or your thoughts.
Also apts in the old part of town - obv I have Vagelis's details but all ideas gratefully received - there will be 6 of us.
Thanks.

Offline 2sanstef

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sanstefanos.co.uk
Re: Disability in SanStef
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:31:24 PM »
http://www.sanstefanos.co.uk/where_to_stay/where_to_stay_nafsika.html

Try the website, don't worry about phoning Spero he speaks very fluent english and will be pleased to speak to you.
Its our 10th time here and we will be coming back again very soon!" 8)

www.sanstefanos.co.uk
Admin

Offline cornishmaid18

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »
Sorry for being unclear -  I meant Spiros the quad bike guy on the track to the Athina not Spero at the Nafsika who we know and have details for.
I would rather stay somewhere independently this time.
Thanks anyway.

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 01:02:26 AM »
Theodosia apartments are beside the Olympia  restaurant (on the right as you come up on the road from the beach past the juice bar etc) are run through san stefano travel and would be convenient for the beach. There are some apartments on the ground floor there. There is a slight incline on the path up to them but might be worth a look.

Offline hendrix46

• SanStef Hero
  • Sooner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 01:08:26 AM »
Hi cornishmaid, Spiros email address is

spirosbike@hotmail.com

He does however speak excellent English but it is often easier to make first contact by email. If you get a quad then it gives more choice for apartments. More info on apartments later. Hope this helps.
CorfuCol

Offline hendrix46

• SanStef Hero
  • Sooner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 01:11:14 AM »
Hi stressed, you'd be the one to talk to about mobility problems!! haha :)

Me? I just kept finding myself legless!! :)
CorfuCol

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 01:29:51 AM »
still managed to get to the bar though you noticed colin! every time i met you it was in some hostelry or other. Great minds and all that !
xx

Offline cornishmaid18

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:31:13 AM »
Thanks both!
This is a new issue for us to deal with but are determined to not let it hinder our enjoyment and discovery of San Stefanos.
We spotted Theodosia on one of our "treks" but the path up looked a bit steep and unmade for a push! However if we can get a quad on a long term let it might be worth another look - the German girl who somersaulted from her quad at the Beachcomber put me off a bit but think this is prob the way to go in the apparent absence of more mobility type equipment/scooters available to hire on Corfu.
It would certainly give us both more freedom to explore the area and I might even get to see the view from the Romanza which I keep hearing about.
We did get up to Delfino Blu for a nose but too steep to go any further.
Will email Spiros and go from there.
Thanks again
Helen

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 06:46:49 AM »
Hi cornishmaid18, First you can hire a wheel chair from sidari, details in the post in information section.
They deliver and collect.
Secondly, you have a choice of two bike hire places.
Nikos (Pegasus), at the side of the Condor or Spiros as you know, around the corner.
Both will definitely do a deal with you and you should go to both to see which is better.
They always have Quad bikes in stock!
The Quad bikes are easy to drive and are Automatic.
Control done from the Handlebars - dead easy to drive - go slow round corners and try to avoid the potholes!! LOL.

The Theodosia Apt's are where we stayed in July.
The Downstairs Apts would be perfect for you and the slope is not too bad.
I pushed my Grandson up in his pushchair daily, no comparison, but it's not too bad and manageable!
There are a few other suitable Apt's around as well! With a Quad - you can go to many different Apt's!!

Hope this helps - just ask if you need more info!

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni