Author Topic: advanced passenger information  (Read 35018 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: advanced passenger information
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 01:52:47 PM »
Thanks! It's not the government that's getting this information - it's the airline. Given Thomson's inability to make a working web-form I don't have much confidence in their security!

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 07:40:58 PM »
Thanks! It's not the government that's getting this information - it's the airline. Given Thomson's inability to make a working web-form I don't have much confidence in their security!

Sorry to quibble mate, but read here, you will see that the info goes to E-Borders...
This page describes our procedures for collecting information about passengers before they travel to or from the UK, and how these may affect you.

Every year, more than 200 million passengers cross the UK border. To help secure the border, we use an electronic system called e-Borders to carry out checks on travellers before they begin their journey. This allows our officers to identify those who should not be in the UK or who intend harm.

All you need to do is provide your carrier with information from your passport or travel document before you travel, and the carrier then provides e-Borders with passenger and crew details for the journey.

You can request access to personal information held by e-Borders, in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1988. To request a copy of your records, you should make a 'subject access request' in writing. The Requests for personal data page of this website contains more information.

If you are in the transport industry, you can find detailed information about your responsibilities under e-Borders in the e-Borders requirements for carriers and ports section of this website. That section also contains information for the owners and operators of fishing boats, leisure craft (such as yachts) and light aircraft, although they do not yet need to provide information to e-Borders
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 08:11:43 PM »
The airlines are required to provide this information, they do not have a choice and I can't see a problem with doing so. It took me a couple of minutes only to fill in our details on the Thomsons website, those without a computer can ring up to provide the info. maybe it would be a good idea if the facility was there at the time of booking, hopefully this will be the way forward. To me it is not a problem and i have no objections to providing the info.
It also explains clearly on Thomsons website and other tour operator websites the need for them to provide the info.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:45:32 PM by lilly »

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010, 12:48:38 AM »
swedebasher - Sure - it goes to the border agencies eventually, but it's the carrier who is holding the information.

lilly - The Thomson page for this has consistently refused to accept our identification. This is for two trips this year. As I said earlier, I had to hang on for about half an hour to do this by phone. I'm not exactly computer illiterate - I program the things!

The airlines are not required to, and almost certainly don't, transmit this information until check-in is complete. The carriers can't request this information until it's less than 28 days before travel. They must delete it 48 hours after arrival. That leaves the interesting problem of getting home, where there appears to be no such requirement.

This is a mess. The airlines are NOT required to do this under the EU Directive, except before departure, which means check-in time. When the friendly person at the desk sticks your passport under the scanner I am pretty sure that if you're on a no-fly list you'll soon be surrounded by Special Branch officers and AK47s or equivalent.

It's still entirely possible to turn up at an airport 2 hours before a plane takes off, buy a ticket, and fly. Where does API fit into this? We have a right, as EU citizens, to treat aeroplanes like taxis.

You fill in (if it will let you!) your passport number, DOB, and other useful information for identity thieves. This stuff is really not safe.

All I am asking for is an absolutely clear definition of our status.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 12:59:27 AM »
Jimbo, it does say on Thomsons website/other tour operators that they are required to provide this info and goes on to explain why.
I can see your point though, hope you get a reply to your letter, maybe then things will become clearer.x

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 01:32:08 AM »
This is the kind of bullying that's going on - Olympic:

"Please note that we will not remind passengers who have failed to provide API no later than 2 clear days before departure of their flight. Initially this information will be collected by the airline at check-in at the departure airport although this may cause additional delay and might require additional security screening; but it may also result in passengers being charged for the additional responsibility involved in collection of the information at the airport, or ultimately passengers may be denied boarding."

It's conspicuous rubbish to say that it takes more time. Put passport on scanner - press button - wait for big flashing red lights.

All I'm asking for is complete clarity as to what our rights and obligations are, and a less intimidating approach. I think lots of people are being scared by this stuff.

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »
Im with Jim on this...two entities holding info and neither seem to have total security.
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2010, 06:31:46 PM »
Does seem slightly gobbledy Gook and like someone referred too earlier, late bookings or even standy by passengers? ???

Offline skiingemu

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 02:08:02 AM »
~only just noticed this now,  booked on line with Thomson didn't have any email to say to complete never really had final invoice but did receive phone call from thomson asking if everthing ok and did we want to book seats together etc, they didn't at this point mention this.
therefore never completed and didn't have any problems  everything just as when we have travelled to greece or any other other country previously.
I would imagine if compulsary that it would have to be better advertised and future bookings unable to go ahead with out completing the form at tiem of booking

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 02:14:05 AM »
skiingemu - Totally agree, and thanks. I'm trying to get this clarified on everybody's behalf.

Offline skiingemu

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 02:04:32 AM »
Just a update from another ski site I visit,
seems people are starting to pay for there January hols on line and have had to complete API as this is compulsory from next year
Janet

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni