Author Topic: advanced passenger information  (Read 35109 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: advanced passenger information
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 10:11:37 PM »
It is against EU regulations for airlines to request this, or at least to threaten you with not flying. See this link:

http://www.sarahludfordmep.org.uk/news/001402/sarah_presses_european_commission_on_advanced_passenger_information_and_spanish_implementation_of_eu_law.html

It may be required for Spain (which is imposing it despite the EU free movement rules). The UK government site is hopeless vague on the subject.

This still seems to be muddy water, and really needs to be clarified. The simplest thing would be to request full names on the booking form!!! 

Offline Googleberry1811

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 11:12:45 PM »
Thanks everyone. I've been on Easyjet's website but short of putting in a request for a name change I cant seem to find anywhere that says I can change details that are held for me  :(

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 12:31:33 AM »
We only spotted this on our Thomsons Final invoice after paying the balance. We submitted ours straight away. The information has only been needed since earlier this year.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 02:20:42 AM »
It cannot be made a requirement for an airline to demand this information BEFORE a flight from the UK to Greece. This is clearly laid out in the EU's information service summary of the Directive:

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/10/349&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

The key words here are:

"Such personal data are typically taken from the machine-readable part of passengers’ passports and forwarded to the authorities after the completion of check-in."

Note the "after".

It's important in this age of identity theft that we don't needlessly spray information such as passport numbers across possibly compromised internet links, and I would urge anybody feeling that they want to be bullied into doing this to do it by telephone. This is basically a lazy catch-all for airlines in case people are flying to (say) the USA, where there are additional requirements. If you are an EU citizen you have a right to travel with adequate documentation at the border.

Looking at our Thomson's booking confirmation, this request is at the very bottom, after in-flight meals, seat reservations, and other trivia. If it's a show-stopper, why isn't it in the initial booking phase?

The answer to that is that it's easier for them to request it, even if it's not necessary. I doubt if this information is actually used for European flights until after check-in. After all, I can book with whatever details I like. Only at the desk is this information validated. Do you really think that Thomson's and EasyJet are transmitting this stuff to Kerkira airport the second you submit it?

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 12:24:06 PM »
Had an email from Thomson yesterday where they highlight that this has to be done. Was not aware of this as I did not read this thread!!
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »

The airlines appear to be going over the top on this. So - for peace of mind - I suggest going along with it.

Earlier this year the Thomson's API web page would not accept the booking reference, despite several attempts. The same thing happened yesterday. I then phoned. 28 minutes of awful music-on-hold later and I eventually got through to a bored young woman who simply repeated parrot fashion that it was a requirement. Why, I then asked, was it the case that:

* This information was not requested on the flight/holiday booking form?
* The requirement was a tiny paragraph at the bottom of the acknowledgement email?
* The web form was at best unreliable, and mostly unusable?
* I appeared to be charged 10p per minute for listening to second-rate pop music?

She did not have an answer to any of these questions. I then laboriously read out the details, which she eventually seemed to get right.

This situation is ridiculous, and I intend to raise it with Thomsons, and also with Baroness Ludford. If this is information is vital it should be made easy for people to supply it.

Offline sharris

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 04:34:25 PM »
we registered our details prior to holiday in May.....whilst at check-in at Birmingham Airport, we mentioned it to the girl on the desk......she said it makes no difference whatsoever to check in whether passports are registered or not.........that may have changed by now i guess but.........

we still do it..just to be on the safe side even if it appears to be irrelevant....

Sarah H

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 06:13:49 PM »
sharris - You seem to be quite right. They are probably doing nothing with this information, and causing people unnecessary worry.

I will do my best!

don

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 06:23:41 PM »

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »
Yes - that's full of "mays" etc and really doesn't make it at all clear!

don

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 10:15:29 PM »
It does have a lot of reading though!

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 10:30:26 PM »
The API website (government) says that the travel companies release the details just prior to flight to the COUNTRY you are going to- I take it that means the Greek Borders Agency or whatever they have over there. Shame it was not announced more loudly given the threat of flight refusal, and what happens if you do not have any computers to register the details?? So next year I will have to go through the stupid charade three times ::)

don

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 10:43:12 PM »
Note.... We never get asked to leave a passport at reception on arrival. Does the API get passed all down the line. For example immigration departments?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 01:31:52 AM »
You can find the text of the email that I have sent to Baroness Sarah Ludford MEP here:

http://www.melissi.co.uk/ludford/ludford.rtf

I hope you will all agree with this. If not, raise any other points and I will pass them on. What concerns me is not that we have to give the details, but that the process may be frightening for some people.

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 01:06:43 PM »
Well reasoned letter Jim and lucidly put. You have hit upon one very good point...so what is the point of the passport scanners at the airports- surely this info can be sent down the line. I for one am uncomfortable with any government organisation holding details given their cavalier attitude to security and ahem, losing data.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni