Author Topic: Nasty habits  (Read 41982 times)

Offline Clare Davies

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Nasty habits
« on: August 15, 2009, 08:45:49 PM »
Does anyone know about the recent smoking ban & how does it effect us dirty smokers?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty habits
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 08:54:35 PM »
Yes, it has had a mixed response in the village, the local businesses are bending the rules.
Most people are doing the right thing and nipping out for a smoke, no one likes a smoker on the adjoining table.
However, in the bars especially, there seem to be some smoking zones in some establishments.
So it's not as strictly enforced, if at all - in fact, as in the UK.

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Clare Davies

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 10:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the info Tony, I understand what your saying. We are smokers but it is important to respect everyone around you.

Yamas
Clare

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
Yes - you may have guessed none of us lot smoke - but we are understanding!
But it seems to be ok in some bars for the smokers and not as bad for the non-smokers.
All works well!!
Enjoy your holiday!

don

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 11:32:19 PM »
From talking to the locals we got the opinion that for the time being the ban is optional!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:41:04 PM »
It's LAW!! But the Locals have their ways!! LOL

Offline Clare Davies

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 11:52:43 PM »
Yes I think there has been a smoking ban in Greece for a couple of years now, but the Greeks don't like to be told what to do and when they can do it. Our Greek friends out there would cause a riot if it was policed in the same way that it is here. As for us we are considerate smokers, may be this will help us to kick the habit once and for all, tried several times but failed!!!

Yamas
Clare

Offline Holistica

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 12:39:53 AM »
From talking to the locals we got the opinion that for the time being the ban is optional!

Was that Nikos ( my other half) who told you that then ?? What a lot of nonsense. It is law here in Greece, but ..... Greek laws are not always obeyed ( as you'll know) particularly in Corfu! They are a law unto themselves! And I always say that for every law/rule here, there is another to counteract it!
I think what they're saying is that smoking in enclosed areas is not allowed but as many of the bars etc are quite open ie. sitting outside with maybe only a canopy over you, it is allowed that you smoke there.
The law doesn't affect me - never smoked in my life - but it does make it more pleasant for me when I'm out not to become a passive smoker. Having said that, some of my friends smoke ( including Nikos) and I think its good to be respectful to each other.

zoe

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 01:08:40 AM »
roy and i dont smoke and as he has a bad throat that is made worse by smoke we try to keep away from smokey bars

Offline Clare Davies

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 01:27:10 AM »
OK thanks for the comments, a bit of a touchy subject this one !!!!! Think I will get back to happy memories of SS and why we keep going back

Yamas
Clare

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 10:56:18 AM »
Smokers ought to realise they could me made passive drinkers!!!!!!!!!! Think on that
WHAT!!!!!
Don - you been Drinking? makes no sense - try again!! LOL

zoe

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 12:24:44 PM »
i think he has been more than passive drinking ; :)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 03:10:33 PM »
Yes Zoe - he has for sure - Mr. Wobbles today!
Never mind, when he's slept it off - he'll put us all right again - I am sure!! LOL

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 03:49:41 PM »
I love Zoe's one liners  - very funny :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 03:50:44 PM »
Does anyone know about the recent smoking ban & how does it effect us dirty smokers?

Hi

The ban in Greece is not the same as the ban in the UK. If an establishment is under a certain size and totally enclosed - they can choose to be smoking or non smoking, and from what we were told by our greek friend, the majority have gone with smoking, they don't want to lose their Greek customers in the winter.

If it is larger (not too sure on the size), there has to be a non smoking area (this is usually the inside of the Tarverna/bar). At the moment it is not too bad as most people sit outside so everyone (well almost), is happy!!

The problem will be at the end of the season when the nights get chilly!!! Not sure what the Tarvernas will do when it is too cold to eat outside but smoking is not allowed inside!! Knowing the Greeks they will get round it somehow.

Also, at the moment the law is not very well enforced - especially on the islands (chances are they are stricter in Athens). The Greeks have apparently taken on 30 non smoking enforcement officers, to check establishments and to see if they are obeying the law - the only problem with this is the 30 officers cover the whole of Greece!!

Brilliant!!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni