Author Topic: Food, Glorious Food ! Apologies Oliver !  (Read 20379 times)

Offline Mikeatew

• View Profile
Re: Food, Glorious Food ! Apologies Oliver !
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
Loved the very detailed gastronomic write-up - almost as much as you enjoyed the food (and wine).  Pity you didn't get to Sunset this trip; delightful family and fresh greek home cooking by Maria snr.

Also, we seldom see mention of Stamatis's fabulous pizzas.  Of course we all enjoy the greek dishes but once-in-awhile a break is good and his Pizzas are (I think) better than anything to be found in UK.  A great caharacter is Stamatis but don't get him started on politics!

MikeT

don

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 09:16:14 PM »
And Stamatis is from?

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 02:16:47 AM »
Great update Don, I wished I'd seen this when we were out there. We never managed to reach Olympia but your comments and some fellow guests at Olga's indicate that it's well worth the short walk, cheers

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 04:08:47 AM »
With regard to Pizzas, being just off the heel of Italy, there was always bound to be some influence in Corfu.
Stamatis (if it's the same person as I confess to forgetting his name), worked in New York for some years and learnt his trade from the Italians there. He then arrived back in Corfu about 20 years ago in a big red American open top car and was a well know local sight for many years, driving this monster car up the main street.
He then opened up the Town Pizza and I also think I had a world beating Pizza there as well, better than any UK pizza.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

don

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 11:16:53 PM »
Our traditional first meal as a holiday opener at The Little Prince went awry this last visit as it was 02:45am Saturday when we finally arrived in San Stef. Our cases were rapidly dumped and we set off to search the "ghost town" for some urgently needed sustenance. The only place still open to get a meal was Yannis' opposite the Athens Bar. Souvlaki Pitta was the order and most welcome and tasty it was too. Now well fed we set off in search of liquid! The only place open at that time was Thomas Bay.. Poor young Nikos was just about ready for home but gladly stayed to ensure that we were as well watered as we were fed! Cheers mate!
Our first evening meal was in Ozzy Oils where we met Zoe and Roy. Good night was had and the food just as awesome as ever. Typically great welcome from Kerry, Nikos and George.
The next night was Sandra's first chance to have Sizzling Steak... This was according to her the best ever! The night though held one of those "esrever" moments. There we were tucking in when a familiar voice shouted up "GOTCHA!" Yes, we were really shocked! It was Di and Phil from home. I've worked with Di for the last 10 years and never had an inkling that she would be there! Sue & Jules, We know how you felt now!
The next night we went to Beachcomber and Sandra tried the highly recommended Stroganoff - cheers folks it was as good as you said! I had the Fish Caldane - lovely "mild" curry with one mighty Chilli inspired back draught! Try it, your throat will recover.
It was back to the Little Prince where surprise number 2 awaited us. Mary and her husband Ian crept up on us and well nigh brought on heart attacks all round. Jules - Sue we get it in duplicate! The meal was just as good as ever! 
It was on to Olympia for our take on Greek Meze! We had loads of starters on the table - some we loved, some we merely liked and some that were Yeuk! Our CHOICE. Our FAULT but overall a great way of eating and  chance to be more adventurous than usual! Try It!
Last night - Officially - Traditional end to holiday at the Little Prince.... Sizzling Steak - Obviously and Giros Plate for me!

Six nights and Six great value meals... All equally enjoyable in their own right and all liberally washed down with large amounts of wine! 

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 11:53:50 PM »
What a brilliant week - just sorry we could not meet you there this time!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 12:07:11 AM »
At least Sandra still got her Sizzler in the end.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

don

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 02:13:32 AM »
At least Sandra still got her Sizzler in the end.
Jules how very dare you!!!! That sounds disgusting!! LOL

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 03:57:23 AM »
WHY? - wasn't it your's? LOL

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni