Author Topic: Food, Glorious Food ! Apologies Oliver !  (Read 20380 times)

don

Food, Glorious Food ! Apologies Oliver !
« on: July 19, 2009, 11:29:49 PM »
Friday - The Little Prince - Our first night and Sandra has to wear her now traditional dark top in expectation of her holiday starting Sizzling Steak. Yes it was everything she'd dreamt of for the last 10 months and to cap it all Dimitri gave a helping of Garlic Mushrooms. I had Saganaki (fried cheese) followed by Sirloin in Garlic. This was a newbie to my taste buds and pleasantly surprising in that the garlic didn't drown the taste of everything else. This was all washed down with a litre and a half of a very palatable House Dry White. A cracking meal to start the holiday.
Saturday -The Orchard on the road to Peroulades from Sidari - Now becoming a regular haunt of ours. We both started with Garlic Bread followed by Moussaka for Sandra and Meatballs for me. This was washed down by a litre of dry white. A change of scene but a great meal eaten in great company and well looked after by Debbie, George and Lisa.
Sunday - Olympia - This is fast becoming one of our favourite eateries. Sandra started with Loaded Potato Skins with a main course of Chicken with  Cheese. The main was new to her palate and a meal she is looking forward to having again. I started with the Fishcakes and followed it up with some lovely Salmon. Fish was destined to come up again and again for me totally usurping Lamb as my favourite. For a change we had a Large Carafe of Dry White Wine. A great meal yet again and a normal top notch welcome from Stavros and Vasillis.
Monday - Mythica - A new restaurant this year and one we were eager to try. Never having eaten at the Romanza Jenny and Leo's eating experience was new to us. I had Smoked Fish and Prawns as a starter, delicious, followed by a Sea Bass Fillet on a Mushroom Risotto - An excellent choice! Sandra chose Garlic Bread followed by Kokkinisto. A new one for her and one she was still talking about days later. All this was washed down with a bottle of Dry White Wine. We are glad we allowed ourselves to form our own opinions of Mythica. Sarah cheers for your recommendation!
Tuesday - Ozzy Oils - This was their barbecue night and a new experience for us. The Bread was to die for and came with dips and Greek Salad. The main was a gigantic Village Sausage, Pork Souvlaki and Chicken Breast with a Jacket Potato. I am not a barbecue fan but this was the tops. Inevitably we washed it down with a large Carafe of dry white! Kerry your voice is amazing. €12 for a great meal and a brilliant singing turn. Encore!
Wednesday - The Little Prince - For a change a small carafe of Dry White and one of Red - See we aren't creatures of habit! Sandra had Garlic Mushrooms (again) and Stamna - Way too much to eat! I Had Meatballs followed by Kleftiko - six days before lamb? A personal Best! The Lamb was melt in the mouth and as ever the Roasties were spot on. I think this is one of those place we will go back to!
Thursday - Barras - Only stayed there for a week by now! As ever a great meal, Garlic Bread and Meatballs for Sandra and for me? Lamb Stifado after Meze Onassis. For a change a large Carafe of Dry White went down well. Did though forget wine came with my choice so I tried a glass of Red.
Friday - Waves - I think this may be "The Garlic Holiday" as Sandra had Special Garlic Bread follwed by Sofrito. Not wanting to overdo the lamb I followed Saganaki with a beautiful helping of Sole. Guess what? Yes! Washed down with a generous helping of Dry White. Very impressed by this meal.
Saturday - Ozzy Oils - prearranged to meet other people from this site, Tonyco1, Zimmer and families I raise a glass to you. Zoe cheers and hope we meet one day! Sandra had Village Sausage and "Skippy" Pie. I had this last year but went down another route, Fishcakes followed by Salmon. Fish is brain food? So where are mine! This was washed down with a "Special Somerset Cider" courtesy of Zoe and A Hellenic Ale courtesy of Zimmer, all washed down with a large Dry White. Brilliant meal and tip top company capped by a captivating special song from Kerry. Best night yet!
Sunday - Little Prince - For me Gigantes followed by the Seafood Platter. Not my greatest coice but then that's nobodies fault but my own. Sandra though found her Garlic Mushrooms, Sizzling Steak and Dry White superb. I am getting to love the Red!
Monday - Beachcomber -  No fish this time here for me. Sandra though started with a superb Prawn Cocktail. Why can we never buy sauce like that? This was followed by a Char-grilled Pork Chop done to a T. I had Mushroom au Gratin before a Chicken Stir-Fry. I am far from being a Chicken lover but this was delicious. Inevitably all washed down with a really outstanding Dry White straight from the Peleponese! As someone posted the waitress was outstanding. I stand 6 foot and she matched me!
Tuesday - Paradise - As ever a great welcome from the lads and a mountainous meal. Only two tables in use all night. They deserve better! Back to the Lamb for me as I had Chops after a tremendous Saganaki. For Sandra, Garlic Bread and Paradise Chicken. Probably the cheapest but possibly the best Dry White here. More people should give it a try.
Wednesday - Olympia - Our Meze night! No main couse but a trawl through the starters. Becoming a traditional night for us! Mushrooms stuffed with Bacon, onion, pepper & Stilton (Yummy!) Prawn Saganaki (Bad Choice on Spiciness not quality) Potato Skins with Bacon Cheese and Tomato( More) Meatballs (Best Yet) Village Sausage (So good!) and  finally Spring Rolls (not Greek?) all washed down with a large Dry White.
Thursday - Thomas Bay - My all time favourite Lamb Giouvetsi. Cooked to perfection but way, way too much of it. Sandra started with a Pasta Salad and me? Gigantes! For a change, A large Carafe of Dry White. Loved the meal as always!
Friday - Little Prince - For a little role reversal I had Garlic Bead and Sizzling Steak and a small carafe of Red. Surprisingly Sandra turned away from her all time favourite meal and had Meze Onassis and Sirloin in Garlic washed down with a small Dry White. Loved this meal.
Saturday - Manthos - Greek night so a limited menu. Great dancing though! We started by sharing a Garlic Baguette and Saganaki and then went for Spit Roast Chicken and for me Spit Roast Lamb. The downside - CHIPS - Hate them! Good carafe of Dry White though! Probably the worst meal but still fair quality and value.
Sunday - Mythica - This place was growing on us. Back to fish for me as I had Avacado Prawns followed by Salmon with Risotto Milanese. For Sandra, Meatballs and Beef Stifado all helped down with a classy Dry White.
Monday - Little Prince - This may have its detractors but we've never had a bad meal here.We shared a Garlic Bread before I had Sea Bass, to die for! I want some now! Sandra went for Bacon Chicken. Great meal and the inevitable Small Red & Small Dry White to help it down.
Tuesday - Barras - Gave starters a miss this time! I went for the Lamb Kleftiko which was tremendous while Sandra had Pork Souvlaki in Barbecue Sauce. This was the first meal she wasn't thrilled with. The pork was rather tough! Lovely wine though. Again a split between my Red And Sandra's Dry White.
Wednesday - Waves - Not arranging things but are we haunting Tonyco1 or him us? Shared the Special Garlic Bread and a Large Dry White Wine but went our inevitable separate ways with our main courses. Sofrito for Sandra, this fast becoming one of her favourites. I couldn't go to Greece without having Moussaka and this was up there with the best I've ever had!
Thursday - Little Prince - The traditional Last Supper before I retire to my own Kitchen and take on my alter-ego as SUPERCHEF! As ever Sandra donned her Dark Vest so Mike knew what was coming! Yes Garlic Mushrooms and Sizzling Steak. Tonyco1 had the same. I think he like it! Me? I had Sea Bass, has to be close to my best meal ever! Small carafe Dry White, Small carafe Red!

Hope that gives off a good idea of the variety of food available and gets the old taste buds working. The only thing is, we are now saying me missed of Sunset, what about Elpitha and Evinos. Oh! Yannis as well. We had a great time eating and drinking with good leisurely chats thrown in. All in all  - Roll on September 25th even if it's only for 7 days and 4 of them are already spoken for.    

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 10:18:52 PM by don »

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Food, Glorious Food ! Apologies Oliver !
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:43:56 AM »
Well Don, what can we say. A very detailed report of all you had to eat in the evenings. Is there any wine left in SS? ;)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

zoe

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:38:24 AM »
dont know how you can remember the food after the wine

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 05:40:54 AM »
Don wrote it all down as he went along, I will attempt a report when I finish my night shift maybe!
First I hope to publish my photos on facebook again.
Trouble is I have over 1000!!
I often take between 3 to 10 pictures of certain things, and so hopefully get one great shot out of it!!
Then having sorted out the many pics and deleted loads, made sure there are not too many doubles,
I then may edit some, crop or enhance the brightness etc.
Next I try to sort them into logical folders and then I can publish them.
about half-way through now!
I am a bit worried about Don's filming of me in Karaoke doing Barbados, but with words changed to San Stefanos etc.
Who knows where that may end up!!
Anyway - well done Don!! Massive report - must have taken time to do!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Bubblehead and kipper

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »
Excellent preview of your account of the places you ate. A brill read and find it particularly interesting because of the way you described the good bits about each place that appealed to you-most of those are our favourites too but have to limit eating out to friends, family visits and special occasions, just like living in the UK.

We are very lucky and blessed with so many great restaurants choices and competitive prices in SS.

"San Stefanos Waterfront" our Dive Shop is situated in between 5 amazing Restaurants here in the Old Town and on an evening the "Aroma" is one to die for!!! I don't think the community including the owners in this part are not fully aware of what we have here.

These beautiful Restaurants make it very special down here and bring a "flurry" of diners down in the evenings and it is exciting to watch them going from one to the other "scouring" the menues with eager antisipation!!! yum.. yummy.

We should have an entrance to Old Town and a sign highlighting our outstanding collection of Restaurants.

In the mean time, Thank you for your most informative and mouth watering write up. It is worthy of PRINTING and keeping a copy by me for reference.

Great!!!!!

Bevie

am going 

don

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 02:11:14 PM »
Cheers Bevie looking forward to September so we can try our favourites again. Will have to meet for a drink one night!

Offline kemo

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »
Thanks Don for  a very interesting review of your eating experience.You have certainly made my mouthwater so roll on september when our turn will come.I think I will follow your choice of menu at Mythica.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 05:10:45 AM »
Well I just read the Don-Revue again - (not the Don Revie!!),
I am sitting here at work, last day of my night shift, and it's "Lunch-time"!
My mouth was watering and all I have is an egg sandwich, a banana, an Orange
and a packet of 2 x "Go" Yogurt / forest fruit biscuits. !!!
Just not fair - no Mythos just tea / filter coffee or chilled water!,
as my job is Safety Critical (no D & A allowed)!! Random testing in my job.

Having just read the Mythica Meals and remembering how good they were - gutted!!
What I would give for a sizzling steak from the little Prince right now!!!
Our meal at the Sunset was superb, fresh sardine starter as well - yum!!
Oh! well - reality - - - and the grubby old sandwich is looking me in the eye!!
G'night folks!!
Enjoy your San Stefanos meals if you're out there right now - and think of me!!

don

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 10:57:54 AM »
Just got things ready for work, late start due to 9.30 Physiotherapy appointment. It is wet and cold here so I've done a flask of soup and got some home made ciabatta. This is July going on November. Roll on September and San Stefanos!

Offline sunshine

• SanStef Hero
  • 6th September. Staying at Jasmine pool bar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 10:37:02 PM »
our first time in ss last year we ate at the sunset most evenings as i had a back injury so couldnt walk very far and loved to sit in the hammock watching the world go by and as we were staying right opposite found it convenient,but hope to try other places this year

don

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 10:52:38 PM »
Hope this thread has given you Food for thought LOL

don

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Thanks Don for  a very interesting review of your eating experience.You have certainly made my mouthwater so roll on september when our turn will come.I think I will follow your choice of menu at Mythica.

When in September do you go and where are you staying?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 12:49:45 AM »
We could start a forum convention in Sept!!

zoe

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
i will bring the cider

Offline kemo

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 04:44:58 PM »
Hi Don we fly out on 4th september for 2 weeks staying at olga apts. This will be our 3rd visit having stayed at olga last year and thomas bay the year before.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni