Author Topic: A New View From The Beach at San Steph  (Read 5301 times)

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
A New View From The Beach at San Steph
« on: July 18, 2009, 10:31:48 PM »
Those who enjoy the coastal walk from San Steph to Arrilas may have noticed the anenomter mask next to the church on the headland.

On seeing this I was immidiately dismayed as I knew at once what it meant and following some detective work I have found out that a power company want to build an offshore wind farm near San Steph.

Now some people dont mind the sight of these 400foot high structures but am I the only one that would not like to look at them from my lunch table at the Mango Bar?

These damn Wind farms are being planned all over Europe and the photo below will give you some idea of the view from Arrilas and San Steph in a few years time if the power companies have their way.

http://www.photographersdirect.com/stockimages/o/offshore_wind_farm.asp

(Copy and paste)

I have spoken to a few Taverna owners and it seems local opposition is mounting mostly from fisherman concerned about the effect on local fish stocks.

We can only hope they are successful in their opposition.

Andy

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: A New View From The Beach at San Steph
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 10:55:08 PM »
Agreed, horrendous contraptions. And they supply little of any nation's energy in relation to total energy usage. Cost an absolute fortune as well.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »
No one wants to spoil the beautiful sunset at S S!!
Not with that rubbish anyway.
I took a photo of it last week, are you sure it's in relation to a wind farm as it looks like a radio or telephone mast.
It is next to the shrine on the headland, (not a church), but even that is an eyesore in itself!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 11:59:18 PM »
No one wants to spoil the beautiful sunset at S S!!
Not with that rubbish anyway.
I took a photo of it last week, are you sure it's in relation to a wind farm as it looks like a radio or telephone mast.
It is next to the shrine on the headland, (not a church), but even that is an eyesore in itself!!

Hi Tony,

Sorry mate but its an anemometer mast.

You will have noticed that it has 3 spinning anemometers on the mast designed to measure wind speed at various heights, a TV or radio mast will only have one on the top.

Its purpose was confirmed to me by a S.S. Taverna owner and we can only hope it all comes to nothing, however, I know from bitter experience that power companies dont go to the expense of putting up these masts unless they are serious about it.

The problem is that SS is probably the windiest part of Corfu which makes it a natural target for wind farm development.

Dont even get me started on the folly of wind farms and the destrutive effect they have on the landscape >:(

Andy

Andy

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 02:42:44 AM »
Thanks for that Andy - I bow to your knowledge there -
I also hate the sight of wind farms, which surely can be placed away from a tourist resort!!
Well done on the research anyway - now we have to wait.
I will post that photo on facebook if anyone wants to check it out.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni