Author Topic: Andy 7: Latest San Steph Holiday Report  (Read 7110 times)

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Andy 7: Latest San Steph Holiday Report
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:21:11 PM »
Have been back just 48 hours now and already the recent two weeks holiday in San Steph seems just a memory, so before I forget altogether I thought I would post my thoughts.

This was our 3rd holiday to San Steph in less than a year so it had a lot to live up to, so were we in anyway disappointed......NO!

Mike the waiter at the Little Prince summed it up when he greeted us on our first night and said "Welcome Home", that's how it feels going back to San Steph, the people treat you like long lost friends.

Anyway, we stayed at the Teresa's which was again very good, Leo and family were excellent and the Greek night was again brilliant, the bar terrace and pool area has had a face lift and looks smart.

San Steph itself also has a fresh look about it with the new Italian Restaurant filling a gap on the main street, the Mythica occupying the new unit opposite Yannis and Bar Code a smart new bar near San Steph Travel.

The beach had been damaged and 'shrunk' by recent storms but was back to normal after the first week, the sea doing a remarkable job in repairing both the beach and off shore sand banks, which help to create the lovely warm shallow water.

We spent our days either at the Athina Pool or on the beach, we had many lunches at the Mango Bar which had a surprisingly cheap menu and the food was excellent, served up by a cheerful waiter who sung along (rather badly) to British pop songs. The Mango had a great holiday feel to it and I could spend hours there drinking coffee and reading the 'Daily Mail' (sorry Zimmer!).

We hired a car and visied Agios Georges South which was a nice flat resort with friendly people (why are the Corfu people so friendly where ever you go)? We also visited Afonas and Agios Georges North, this is a stunning area with a remarkable walk from the headland Taverna down to the double Afonas Beach, the track is about a mile each way across a rough surface and we had to turn back before we could reach the beach as the wife had flip flops on! If you do this walk wear trainers at least and take plenty of water, the sun heats the rock face to a furnace.

Most evenings we spent at the Little Prince and as usual was always the last to leave! We did try the Mythica but it's not for us and after the Teresas Greek night we stuck with the Little Prince as the food and atmosphere is the best in San Steph, even after 12 nights there was things on the menu we hadn't tried but I could eat a Saganaki starter and Bom Bom Lamb main course till Christmas and still not be sick of it.

The house white wine was again excellent and we proudly exhausted their supply one night! Fresh supplies were quickly obtained the following day.

After the storms of late June the weather was hot and sunny for our fortnight although a strong wind kept us off the beach for the last few days and even the Athina Pool area became too cold one afternoon despite the thermometer registering 27c.

So all in all another great holiday to San Steph, we found places we hadn't been to before and combined this with the familiar San Steph to provide the perfect break.

zoe

Re: Andy 7: Latest San Steph Holiday Report
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:47:15 PM »
glad you had a great holiday must say i loved the bom bom lamb even though when i first saw it i thought that looks awful  but it is lovely we are thinking about going back in sep/oct for our 3rd visit as well its nice to go to other places but we know we are going to a place with no horrible bits to worry about

Offline Helen

• SanStef Hero
  • Helen & Graham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:10:08 PM »
Andy 7
Glad you had a great time again !!
what is the Bom Bom Lamb ? had some lovely food in the little prince , but don't know what this consists of, i love lamb in Greece it is one of my favorites
Helen

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:14:18 AM »
Great report Andy 7 . I know we have both had the bom bom lamb but can't remember what it was like. We are looking forward to our 2 weeks of paradise at Teresa and we have just 6 weeks and 2 days now before we go.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »
Very nice report Andy7, well put together!!
Gives a great insight for new visitors.
As for the Bom Bom Lamb - Jules must have been drunk again!! LOL
It was probably a case of Lamb Curry and Bom-Bom toilet!! LOL
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Bubblehead and kipper

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 12:55:38 PM »
Great and positive report and in agreement with the above a super insight for new commers; hope to meet you next time.

Offline Wint

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 12:37:02 AM »
Good to read your new report and be up to date on changes... back for second year for 1 week this Friday  :)  Cycled to village above Afonas Beach early one morning last year before dropping down to Agios Georges - but plan to make the trek down to Afonas Beach this year - is the start of the path and route down easy to find and follow? (looks to be out down the left hand side of headland on Google Earth)

don

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 02:20:26 AM »
Ask the young lady in the bakery. She lives in Afionas!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni