Author Topic: Respect and Dignity in the Forum!!  (Read 42532 times)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Respect and Dignity in the Forum!!
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 10:27:57 AM »
Hi All - We have noted the odd complete naughty word being "Fully" dropped into the conversation here on the forum.
Can I ask us all to remember that kids visit and read this as well, and any "naughty words" should not really be given out in full format,
However, if it is a ''must'' to cement a point, and you really must, lets all agree at the least, to put it in the starred format:
i.e. B****r, etc, at least that way, we the Adults, (hopefully), can work it out and the kids,
who probably know anyway, can't actually repeat it and justify it as acceptable, by saying - well it was on the forum.
This way no one can get upset, it's just a bit of old fashioned respect for others!!
Now - don't shoot me for this one, because we can still have the usual fun!!,
I certainly don't want us to be like my workplace where it's over-the-top Political Correctness and run by killjoys!!
Enjoy it and have fun - S S here we come!!
Hmm...playing "Devils advocate" for one moment, I'm not sure whether "naughty" words - where they emphasise a point - are,in themselves, particularly,hurtful. It's the context, and naughty words IMO arent needed for something to be construed as hurtful. PC over  ;)
This is the basic bottom line - We give our time to write on this forum for a few main reasons.
1) We the Forum Contributors, enjoy doing this, we all love S S and want to pass this feeling onwards to others and have a bit of harmless FUN & NICE banter doing it!! Nothing is ever meant to be Nasty or Negative to the others.
Most of us now "know each other well", we achieved this by writing and taking part in the banter, over a log period of time!!
We also know not to go too far and where the line is that we just don't cross, while doing it!!
It's because we have this understanding with each other - (we know each others level of humour), that this works!!
i.e. - YES - We do take the "mickey" out of each other, but we all know that it's not meant to be hurtful in any way, because we respect each other, and would be the first to jump to anothers assistance at any time. We have made friendships doing this.

2) We remain aware that children may also browse and therefore we try to be respobsible in some area's, the main one is not to spell out fully any inapropriate words. Yes!! - we sometimes wish to make a point, so we use stars instead of printing that word.
Adults understand what is being said anyway in that context. It's a set standard that we don't wish to breach!!
I think and hope that the above opinion is endorsed by the site owners and my fellow contributors!
i.e We want this site to be ''Fun'' to take part in, but ''responsible'' and ''helpful'' to all who may need any information.
Totally agree Tony. Couldn't have put it better myself.
I'm fascinated as to the sort of child that would read an adult forum concerning holidays, it's not very exciting or childlike [for the children ] is it? Just wondering like....carry on bantering  butty ;) :)
Younger people will read these forums as well because they will be just as excited if not more about where they are going than some adults are.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 06:59:53 PM »
Hi All - We have noted the odd complete naughty word being "Fully" dropped into the conversation here on the forum.
Can I ask us all to remember that kids visit and read this as well, and any "naughty words" should not really be given out in full format,
However, if it is a ''must'' to cement a point, and you really must, lets all agree at the least, to put it in the starred format:
i.e. B****r, etc, at least that way, we the Adults, (hopefully), can work it out and the kids,
who probably know anyway, can't actually repeat it and justify it as acceptable, by saying - well it was on the forum.
This way no one can get upset, it's just a bit of old fashioned respect for others!!
Now - don't shoot me for this one, because we can still have the usual fun!!,
I certainly don't want us to be like my workplace where it's over-the-top Political Correctness and run by killjoys!!
Enjoy it and have fun - S S here we come!!
Hmm...playing "Devils advocate" for one moment, I'm not sure whether "naughty" words - where they emphasise a point - are,in themselves, particularly,hurtful. It's the context, and naughty words IMO arent needed for something to be construed as hurtful. PC over  ;)
This is the basic bottom line - We give our time to write on this forum for a few main reasons.
1) We the Forum Contributors, enjoy doing this, we all love S S and want to pass this feeling onwards to others and have a bit of harmless FUN & NICE banter doing it!! Nothing is ever meant to be Nasty or Negative to the others.
Most of us now "know each other well", we achieved this by writing and taking part in the banter, over a log period of time!!
We also know not to go too far and where the line is that we just don't cross, while doing it!!
It's because we have this understanding with each other - (we know each others level of humour), that this works!!
i.e. - YES - We do take the "mickey" out of each other, but we all know that it's not meant to be hurtful in any way, because we respect each other, and would be the first to jump to anothers assistance at any time. We have made friendships doing this.

2) We remain aware that children may also browse and therefore we try to be respobsible in some area's, the main one is not to spell out fully any inapropriate words. Yes!! - we sometimes wish to make a point, so we use stars instead of printing that word.
Adults understand what is being said anyway in that context. It's a set standard that we don't wish to breach!!
I think and hope that the above opinion is endorsed by the site owners and my fellow contributors!
i.e We want this site to be ''Fun'' to take part in, but ''responsible'' and ''helpful'' to all who may need any information.
Totally agree Tony. Couldn't have put it better myself.
I'm fascinated as to the sort of child that would read an adult forum concerning holidays, it's not very exciting or childlike [for the children ] is it? Just wondering like....carry on bantering  butty ;) :)
Younger people will read these forums as well because they will be just as excited if not more about where they are going than some adults are.
Sorry - I find it difficult to believe [ but I'm a complete cynic] a 7 year old - or a teenager, for that matter, would either be sophisticated enough to seek a forum out or be that bothered when it has things like face book and kids it's own age to find things out,  or when it could probably pester it's parents....how come they never post ? :) just saying like  :D

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 09:52:27 PM »
Zimmer- Kids are highly sophisticated with regard to computers these days! never under-estimate them!
Anyway, irrespective of that, it is not an "Adult" Forum anyway, it is a family forum! - Bottom Line!
So Cynic or not, we have our forum rules and general decorum, which we like to try and preserve.
If anyone wants to "F"'n blind, all over the posts, this is not the right forum for that person!!

It's a bit like the resort at San Stefanos!
If you* (*example-not you personally), holiday there and go round being miserable, or acting like a complete buffoon, you won't make any friends. If you* act like an ignorant fool and spoil others entertainment, or roll around drunk like the worst kind of lager lout, you'll* find that you* are treated like a leper, because S S is a nice happy resort!
Lets be fair, if you* go there with a nice open and friendly attitude, you* will be welcomed with open arms, you will make friends, sometimes for life and that is really nice to have, so we say to all visitors - it's your* call!! - you decide!!
I know which way we always go, and we have made many friends for life, still in contact from anything up from now and going back to 26 years ago! You* get out of your* S S experience whatever you put into it!
Anyway - hope to meet you on the Saturday and hope we end up as good friends!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

don

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 11:38:58 PM »
Respect is esteem for, or a sense of the worth or excellence of, a person, a personal quality, ability, or a manifestation of a personal quality or ability. ..Definition: courteous regard for people''s feelings; "in deference to your wishes"; "out of respect for his privacy"

dig⋅ni⋅ty  [dig-ni-tee]  
–noun, plural -ties.
1.   bearing, conduct, or speech indicative of self-respect or appreciation of the formality or gravity of an occasion or situation.
2.   nobility or elevation of character; worthiness: dignity of sentiments.
3.   elevated rank, office, station, etc.
4.   relative standing; rank.
5.   a sign or token of respect: an impertinent question unworthy of the dignity of an answer.
6.   Archaic.
a.   person of high rank or title.
b.   such persons collectively.

For those not too used to the words together they mean behaving in a courteous manner to your fellow man/woman while affording the right to think as they do without causing upset or embarrassment to others!
In a nutshell  Treat others as you would like them to treat you! Obviously if someone is a pyschopath othe rules apply! They should be made to bear the consequences of their actions...... God not my Law Degree again!!!!!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2009, 03:02:26 AM »
Respect is esteem for, or a sense of the worth or excellence of, a person, a personal quality, ability, or a manifestation of a personal quality or ability. ..Definition: courteous regard for people''s feelings; "in deference to your wishes"; "out of respect for his privacy"

dig⋅ni⋅ty  [dig-ni-tee]  
–noun, plural -ties.
1.   bearing, conduct, or speech indicative of self-respect or appreciation of the formality or gravity of an occasion or situation.
5.   a sign or token of respect: an impertinent question unworthy of the dignity of an answer.
6.   Archaic.

For those not too used to the words together they mean behaving in a courteous manner to your fellow man/woman while affording the right to think as they do without causing upset or embarrassment to others!
In a nutshell  Treat others as you would like them to treat you! Obviously if someone is a pyschopath othe rules apply! They should be made to bear the consequences of their actions...... God not my Law Degree again!!!!!

Hey Brother (high five) Respecccctttttttttt!!
You and your real brother called "Google" !! LOL

don

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2009, 09:43:44 AM »

dig⋅ni⋅ty  [dig-ni-tee]  
–noun, plural -ties.
6.   Archaic.

Hey Brother (high five) Respecccctttttttttt!!
You and your real brother called "Google" !! LOL
The HEARTFELT bit was all my own... I freely admit I'm in touch with my weird side!!

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2009, 10:00:47 AM »
Well I agree both those replies, I'm not a  foul mouthed yob...just yet ;) and I dont like tattoo earing drunks either, theres a time and a place for everything, I was trying to make a point that it's not so much individual words as the context of words which make the message, the written word is a poor form when delivered by internet.It's entirely possible not to respect someone and never say an abusive word to them.But where does one draw the line between all these things? and thats at the heart of things ie we all adapt our own standards to suit our way of thinking, so, for me "B....y Hell" is just highlighting a feeling to someone else it's a terrible way to speak and to someone else totally natural...but I agree there are or should be common grounds of recognised behaviour...of course thats different when it's one's favourite sports team :)"Ow come on refee!"  now is that  "time and place" ok or, really, hypocracy? is constantly making fun of someone just fun or verging on bullying? who knows . it's all relative.

Anyway, Don, try and download "Dignity" by Dylan  "Dignity never been photographed"...have fun,breakfast calls

zoe

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »
i joined this forum last november after looking at others i found the banter on here fun i knew what to expect before i joined i was made to feel welcome by  everyone on the forum no one takes any offence of the banter and i dont think anyone would think the banter could be bullying in anyway  all that give a bit off leg pulling are happy to take it and i  have made good friendships even though we all have not met  we all have a common love of san stefanos i would hate to think that the comments made will make people change the fun we can all have

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »
i joined this forum last november after looking at others i found the banter on here fun i knew what to expect before i joined i was made to feel welcome by  everyone on the forum no one takes any offence of the banter and i dont think anyone would think the banter could be bullying in anyway  all that give a bit off leg pulling are happy to take it and i  have made good friendships even though we all have not met  we all have a common love of san stefanos i would hate to think that the comments made will make people change the fun we can all have
I don't see that happening - I think we will - between us - make sure!
The forum is ''it's people'' and ''it's people'' will rule! (too profound for this time of day - but true)!!

Offline OuzoPower

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 03:54:42 PM »
Something my old dad used to say :-

" It's nice to be nice ! "

If something has been pointed out as offensive, unsavoury or even just a little bit off, continuing with it is bad manners. Simple.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 03:57:21 PM »

If something has been pointed out as offensive, unsavoury or even just a little bit off, continuing with it is bad manners. Simple.

Your old dad was a wise man!!

Offline OuzoPower

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2009, 04:04:48 PM »

Methinks he would have liked San Stef ... a lot!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2009, 04:09:43 PM »

Likewise - I think my Parents would have loved this place as well.
My father worked overseas in Singapore for about 20 years, his holidays in the UK were taken in Bognor Regis -
but it lacks the charm of San Stefanos by miles - they really would have loved it!!

don

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2009, 09:06:15 PM »
Dignity  Deacon Blue (out of Steely Dan - great literary device?)
Respect Aretha Franklin

Serious point is that I don't care what race, religion, colour etc If someone treats me ok I treat them ok. If I treat someone Ok I deserve to be treated ok in return. Any bad language used is to me an insult to me. The user obviously feels it is all I deserve. The other way is to feel for someone with a poor vocabulary! It is a sorry indictment of our country when the most used adjective begins in F and ends in ing !
I must confess as a true sports fan to detesting sports Bigots....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:10:14 PM by don »

don

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2009, 09:09:26 PM »

Likewise - I think my Parents would have loved this place as well.
My father worked overseas in Singapore for about 20 years, his holidays in the UK were taken in Bognor Regis -
but it lacks the charm of San Stefanos by miles - they really would have loved it!!
I stayed at Butlitz in Bognor once but fortunately formed an escape committee and have luckily avoided recapture for nigh on 40 years!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni