Author Topic: Respect and Dignity in the Forum!!  (Read 42720 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Re: Respect and Dignity in the Forum!!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 03:43:03 AM »
Hi All - We have noted the odd complete naughty word being "Fully" dropped into the conversation here on the forum.
Can I ask us all to remember that kids visit and read this as well, and any "naughty words" should not really be given out in full format,
However, if it is a ''must'' to cement a point, and you really must, lets all agree at the least, to put it in the starred format:
i.e. B****r, etc, at least that way, we the Adults, (hopefully), can work it out and the kids,
who probably know anyway, can't actually repeat it and justify it as acceptable, by saying - well it was on the forum.
This way no one can get upset, it's just a bit of old fashioned respect for others!!
Now - don't shoot me for this one, because we can still have the usual fun!!,
I certainly don't want us to be like my workplace where it's over-the-top Political Correctness and run by killjoys!!
Enjoy it and have fun - S S here we come!!
Well said totally agree
Thanks  - Lets just not cross the line I say!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

don

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 08:32:07 PM »
We've tried other forums (no picking on that last word..I don't do Latin) but this one is the TOPS! Not only have we learned a lot but it is good clean knockabout fun too. Let's keep it "SIMPLY THE BEST."

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 10:41:16 PM »
I agree Don. Other forums have tried but they simply don't match up to this site. We are lucky that someone took there time and trouble to create this site for us.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 10:28:39 AM »
I agree Don. Other forums have tried but they simply don't match up to this site. We are lucky that someone took there time and trouble to create this site for us.
I expect that you were banned from all the others - Jules!! LOL

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 11:22:52 AM »
Hi All - We have noted the odd complete naughty word being "Fully" dropped into the conversation here on the forum.
Can I ask us all to remember that kids visit and read this as well, and any "naughty words" should not really be given out in full format,
However, if it is a ''must'' to cement a point, and you really must, lets all agree at the least, to put it in the starred format:
i.e. B****r, etc, at least that way, we the Adults, (hopefully), can work it out and the kids,
who probably know anyway, can't actually repeat it and justify it as acceptable, by saying - well it was on the forum.
This way no one can get upset, it's just a bit of old fashioned respect for others!!
I certainly don't want us to be like my workplace where it's over-the-top Political Correctness and run by killjoys!!
Hmm...playing "Devils advocate" for one moment, I'm not sure whether "naughty" words - where they emphasise a point - are,in themselves, particularly,hurtful. It's the context, and naughty words IMO arent needed for something to be construed as hurtful. PC over  ;)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »
Hmm...playing "Devils advocate" for one moment, I'm not sure whether "naughty" words - where they emphasise a point - are,in themselves, particularly,hurtful. It's the context, and naughty words IMO arent needed for something to be construed as hurtful. PC over  ;)
This is the basic bottom line - We give our time to write on this forum for a few main reasons.
1) We the Forum Contributors, enjoy doing this, we all love S S and want to pass this feeling onwards to others and have a bit of harmless FUN & NICE banter doing it!! Nothing is ever meant to be Nasty or Negative to the others.
Most of us now "know each other well", we achieved this by writing and taking part in the banter, over a log period of time!!
We also know not to go too far and where the line is that we just don't cross, while doing it!!
It's because we have this understanding with each other - (we know each others level of humour), that this works!!
i.e. - YES - We do take the "mickey" out of each other, but we all know that it's not meant to be hurtful in any way, because we respect each other, and would be the first to jump to anothers assistance at any time. We have made friendships doing this.

2) We remain aware that children may also browse and therefore we try to be respobsible in some area's, the main one is not to spell out fully any inapropriate words. Yes!! - we sometimes wish to make a point, so we use stars instead of printing that word.
Adults understand what is being said anyway in that context. It's a set standard that we don't wish to breach!!
I think and hope that the above opinion is endorsed by the site owners and my fellow contributors!
i.e We want this site to be ''Fun'' to take part in, but ''responsible'' and ''helpful'' to all who may need any information.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 05:53:04 PM »
This is the basic bottom line - We give our time to write on this forum for a few main reasons.
1) We the Forum Contributors, enjoy doing this, we all love S S and want to pass this feeling onwards to others and have a bit of harmless FUN & NICE banter doing it!! Nothing is ever meant to be Nasty or Negative to the others.
Most of us now "know each other well", we achieved this by writing and taking part in the banter, over a log period of time!!
We also know not to go too far and where the line is that we just don't cross, while doing it!!
It's because we have this understanding with each other - (we know each others level of humour), that this works!!
i.e. - YES - We do take the "mickey" out of each other, but we all know that it's not meant to be hurtful in any way, because we respect each other, and would be the first to jump to anothers assistance at any time. We have made friendships doing this.

2) We remain aware that children may also browse and therefore we try to be respobsible in some area's, the main one is not to spell out fully any inapropriate words. Yes!! - we sometimes wish to make a point, so we use stars instead of printing that word.
Adults understand what is being said anyway in that context. It's a set standard that we don't wish to breach!!
I think and hope that the above opinion is endorsed by the site owners and my fellow contributors!
i.e We want this site to be ''Fun'' to take part in, but ''responsible'' and ''helpful'' to all who may need any information.
Totally agree Tony. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

don

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »

I've got to agree. As you said over a log period of time? we have got to know each other and hopefully never offend anyone.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 09:36:02 PM »
Hmm...playing "Devils advocate" for one moment, I'm not sure whether "naughty" words - where they emphasise a point - are,in themselves, particularly,hurtful. It's the context, and naughty words IMO arent needed for something to be construed as hurtful. PC over  ;)

I've got to agree. As you said over a log period of time? we have got to know each other and hopefully never offend anyone.
Thanks Don - that is the key target, not to offend - even when being risque'!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:38:29 PM by tonyco1 »

don

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 10:26:24 PM »
I RESPECT the right of each and everyone of you to produce copious amounts of typos. I admire the DIGNITY you show when pulled up about it LOL And I'm saving up FOR RUm on the plane LOL ???

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 11:11:51 PM »
I RESPECT the right of each and everyone of you to produce copious amounts of typos. I admire the DIGNITY you show when pulled up about it LOL And I'm saving up FOR RUm on the plane LOL ???
HA-HA - very good!!  Bit like an extract from the record - The Deck of Cards, remember it:-
The soldier said, "Sir, I have been on the march for about six days, I had neither Bible nor prayer book, but I hope to satisfy you, Sir, with the purity of my intentions. And, with that, the boy started his story.

“You see, sir, when I look at the Ace, it reminds me that there is but one God,
And the duce reminds me that the Bible is divided into two parts, the old and the new testament.
When I see the three, I think of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.
And when I see the four, I think of the four evangelists who preached the gospel, there was Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
And when I see the five, it reminds me of the five wise virgins who trimmed their lamps, there were ten of them, five were wise and were saved, five were foolish and were shut out.
Now the question is? Where do Zoe, Jules, Sue, Sarah and Linda fit in here? I suppose they could loosely qualify as virgins,
metaphorically speaking of course!! But are they the wise ones?? LOL !!!

don

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 12:17:14 AM »
HA-HA - very good!!  Bit like an extract from the record - The Deck of Cards, remember it:-
The soldier said, "Sir, I have been on the march for about six days, I had neither Bible nor prayer book, but I hope to satisfy you, Sir, with the purity of my intentions. And, with that, the boy started his story.

And the duce reminds me that the Bible is divided into two parts, the old and the new testament.
And when I see the four, I think of the four evangelists who preached the gospel, there was Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
And when I see the five, it reminds me of the five wise virgins who trimmed their lamps, there were ten of them, five were wise and were saved, five were foolish and were shut out.
Now the question is? Where do Zoe, Jules, Sue, Sarah and Linda fit in here? I suppose they could loosely qualify as virgins,

Wink Martindale no less   Though Max Bygraves did a far inferior version!

don

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 12:19:04 AM »

Wise ones? Virgins? I bet they'll 'OWL at that one. Probably saying you are Vergin' on the Ridiculous!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 03:43:13 AM »

Wise ones? Virgins? I bet they'll 'OWL at that one. Probably saying you are Vergin' on the Ridiculous!
Well they live in a Barn - so a good start!!

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 10:14:12 AM »
Hmm...playing "Devils advocate" for one moment, I'm not sure whether "naughty" words - where they emphasise a point - are,in themselves, particularly,hurtful. It's the context, and naughty words IMO arent needed for something to be construed as hurtful. PC over  ;)

I'm fascinated as to the sort of child that would read an adult forum concerning holidays, it's not very exciting or childlike [for the children ] is it? Just wondering like....carry on bantering  butty ;) :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:16:21 AM by Zimmer »

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni