Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 30337 times)

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Travel Insurance
« on: June 09, 2009, 06:52:27 PM »
Whats your attitude to it? do you reveal all your medical conditions or, tut tut , lie about your age.
Since being T2D and CHD mine's going thru the roof, it'll get worse as I get older

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Travel Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »
Yes Zimmer, quite a hike when you hit 66. Hands up I have been honest with my broker Direct Travel, where I get my annual insurance, and get a tidy discount when I renew. They are one of the cheapest(NOT inferior) to begin with anyway. None of them really like anyone like me who has cancer, so they usually will not cover it, or quote a big premium, which in my case is tough, as at present mine is not life threatening.
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:56:24 PM »
I work for one of the world's largest insurers (albeit on the Life & Pensions side), but it isn't worth not disclosing full truths, because if something did happen abroad and it was related to an ongoing medical 'condition', for example, you wouldn't get hospital treatment in the foreign country paid for by the insurer or repatriation home. So be careful.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:09:29 AM »
The other year I told them about my shoulder and then the only thing they wouldn't cover was anything to do with my shoulder. Worth telling them as have seen cases on the tv where people haven't been covered for repatriation for one reason or another. I also have seen cases where your not covered if you have had to much to drink as well.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:05:01 AM »
Swede basher - that is a real bummer and my sympathies go out to you, I darent play down my medical probs, knowing my luck ::) ;) so I'll go along with it again , any recommendations?

don

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 02:16:39 AM »
Always use Argos Annual Worldwide............... Unfortunately broke my neck (not spinal cord) 32 years ago. I started back to work 3 years later and have never had a day off with that problem or related one since so why is it any of their business?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 03:15:14 AM »
Always use Argos Annual Worldwide............... Unfortunately broke my neck (not spinal cord) 32 years ago. I started back to work 3 years later and have never had a day off with that problem or related one since so why is it any of their business?
Yes - a big bone of contention, we still use the same insurer for our annual, we had to declare Linda's heart attack nearly 20 years ago.
Sorry Bristol Boy, hope this doesn't offend, but I truly believe that Insurance Companies are the worlds biggest thieves,
(after Euro and Uk MP's), they quickly take your money and so much is hidden in small print to deny payment!
No one wants to be defrauded, but if you are honest, and while I can understand a slight loading when you declare, having been given access to your med/records, which show you are now stable, they should by law be made to insure and pay out if the worst happens.
It must even out over the millions who never ever claim. We have never claimed in 40 years of travel - so it's profit all the way!
Insurance companies hate to pay out and will use any way to avoid it - as usual big profits win over customer service and committment!
The majority of older people have high blood pressure, many have a touch of asthma or various ailments, which is really quire normal!
It's these everyday things, in normal circumstances never a threat, that give the excuse to deny paying out when something goes wrong on holiday!
Repatriation should be the minimum that they cover!
At the very least they should support a central fund to cover this, like motor insurance,
or like when holiday companies go bust and it pays to get the customers home again!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55:05 PM »
Insurance must be seen as a necessary evil, I pay and then forget about it. As others observe, it is FAR more costly not to have it if something goes wrong. The problems start when the will not cover certain ailments, in that case it is a lottery of luck. Bizarrely my AXA policy will not cover me for my stable hypertension, but WILL cover my wife for the same thing!!
To Mr Zimmer, there are several companies out there that specifically cover over 65s(humble apologies if I misread what you said), so spend some time on their websites and get quotes. As I said I have found that Direct Travel on the South Coast have always given me the best quote, but you pay's your money and takes your pick.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:58:23 PM by swedebasher »
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 11:34:34 PM »
Yes - a big bone of contention, we still use the same insurer for our annual, we had to declare Linda's heart attack nearly 20 years ago.
Sorry Bristol Boy, hope this doesn't offend, but I truly believe that Insurance Companies are the worlds biggest thieves,
(after Euro and Uk MP's), they quickly take your money and so much is hidden in small print to deny payment!
No one wants to be defrauded, but if you are honest, and while I can understand a slight loading when you declare, having been given access to your med/records, which show you are now stable, they should by law be made to insure and pay out if the worst happens.
It must even out over the millions who never ever claim. We have never claimed in 40 years of travel - so it's profit all the way!
Insurance companies hate to pay out and will use any way to avoid it - as usual big profits win over customer service and committment!
The majority of older people have high blood pressure, many have a touch of asthma or various ailments, which is really quire normal!
It's these everyday things, in normal circumstances never a threat, that give the excuse to deny paying out when something goes wrong on holiday!
At the very least they should support a central fund to cover this, like motor insurance,
or like when holiday companies go bust and it pays to get the customers home again!

"hope this doesn't offend" - No worries. Chilled out with only one day left in work, finish tomorrow and then fly out to San Stef on Monday morning. soo excited!
Travel insurance is what i call "Peace of mind" cover. If anything does go wrong on hols, at least i know i'm covered (he says fingers crossed!). Anyway what's £40 these days! For any insurer it's all about risk and costing accordingly. Oh, and making a profit. One wouldn't expect a friend or family member to risk all in a business, without that person making a profit!
Successful companies make money, real jobs are created and we all live happily ever after! Contrast that to the 'financial black hole' that is the UK public sector!

Going back to travel ins. I think it's the tour operators that require us to take travel ins. It's the insurance co.s that provide the product. I noticed swedebasher mentioned one particular insurance co....Hmmm!..I'll not comment on that!!

Have a good evening and i look forward to San Stef. 

don

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 02:01:44 AM »

"hope this doesn't offend" - No worries. Chilled out with only one day left in work, finish tomorrow and then fly out to San Stef on Monday morning. soo excited!
Travel insurance is what i call "Peace of mind" cover. If anything does go wrong on hols, at least i know i'm covered (he says fingers crossed!). Anyway what's £40 these days! For any insurer it's all about risk and costing accordingly. Oh, and making a profit. One wouldn't expect a friend or family member to risk all in a business, without that person making a profit!
Successful companies make money, real jobs are created and we all live happily ever after! Contrast that to the 'financial black hole' that is the UK public sector!

Going back to travel ins. I think it's the tour operators that require us to take travel ins. It's the insurance co.s that provide the product. I noticed swedebasher mentioned one particular insurance co....Hmmm!..I'll not comment on that!!

You enjoy San Stef and give them old Turnips a good one from the rest of us!!!!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 03:32:34 AM »

You enjoy San Stef and give them old Turnips a good one from the rest of us!!!!
Yes enjoy!!

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 09:59:39 AM »
Insurance must be seen as a necessary evil, I pay and then forget about it. As others observe, it is FAR more costly not to have it if something goes wrong. The problems start when the will not cover certain ailments, in that case it is a lottery of luck. Bizarrely my AXA policy will not cover me for my stable hypertension, but WILL cover my wife for the same thing!!
To Mr Zimmer, there are several companies out there that specifically cover over 65s(humble apologies if I misread what you said), so spend some time on their websites and get quotes. As I said I have found that Direct Travel on the South Coast have always given me the best quote, but you pay's your money and takes your pick.

Thanks Swede ..no I'm not 65 [or 60 ] just yet,but thanks for the the thought, at the moment I'm surcharged for medical conditions,and thats a fair old hike!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 10:25:04 AM »
When you book with a tour operator they always ask if you have your own insurance if you opt out of the one they can supply. Surely it's up to the individual if they have adequate insurance as well and why then should the TO need to know. I would never travel without insurance which I have through my account at the bank I bank with.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 10:37:46 AM »
no, I agree, it's something I have to "bite the bullet" on - so I'll be sorting that out later today

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 07:57:45 PM »
When you book with a tour operator they always ask if you have your own insurance if you opt out of the one they can supply. Surely it's up to the individual if they have adequate insurance as well and why then should the TO need to know. I would never travel without insurance which I have through my account at the bank I bank with.
We won't travel without it either, and I take good old Bristol boys comments fully on board, but the percentage of claims Totals, against the money collected is an imbalance into massive profits, which is why I believe that Travel Insurance should pay out to repatriate as a minimum, in the case of severe illness, for whatever reason, whether it is pre-existing or not, after all - no one, unless mentally ill, will travel on a holiday, and be enduring a fatal illness in the final stages! The ones who get ill usually don't expect to do so on holiday!!
But if you feel great, go away, keel over unexpectedly, and if you have a touch of blood pressure or a previous mild heart attack from years ago, you are stuffed and not covered!! Morally wrong, as you can also live for umpteen years afterwards, without a problem!
Thats why I hate MP's and Insurers, far too crafty.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni