Author Topic: reporting back  (Read 89297 times)

Offline sharris

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
reporting back
« on: May 24, 2009, 04:21:13 PM »
well guys, back home  :'(

First of all, it is still the same wonderful, laidback, sunny place that we all love so much.

There are a couple of new things going on :

MYTHICA =  my good friends Jenny & Leo (from Romanza) opened their new restaurant. Located to the left at junction and virtually opposite Yiannis Grill. A pure delight, gorgeous food served with fresh vegetables instead of rice or chips. Good home cooking with an extensive choice and is no more expensive than any other restaurant. A touch of class. Do visit them and tell them Sarah sent you !!

MAMA MIA- opening night is monday 25th May. Pavlos from Zorbas, and is next door to Zorbas. the old Mexican. He has been working very hard the whole time i was there to get it up and running. Looks very nice and am sure it will be of the high standard that is Zorbas.

UN-NAMED AS YET - small bar right next door to SAN STEF Travel. looks like it will be a nice place to chill and watch the world go by. looks very close to finishing.

Well it has been a strange start to the season, most places are booked up, but there never seems to be many about at night. The locals are worried that people are not going out spending in evenings. There is some concern there for survival this season, so come on guys go spend some money. Also the sunbeds did not appear on the beach until the 16th may, this was due to some auction for the pitches on the beach and some arguements, why not do that in the winter then ????

Weather has been great for May, we had a couple of cloudy days but they were still hot, as we did the marathon walk to Avliotes and back !!!!

As usual have been greeted back by all our Greek friends and treated like royalty, and have once again met some lovely people, also met people who stayed at Teresa when we did last year. So all in all it has been a great fortnight, and now we are dying to go back again.

If anyone wants to ask anything please feel free, am sure i can help out with any queries.

Sarah H

P.S Nothing has gone up over there fronm last year, inc Ciggies etc so thats good for us.

P.P.S  Met MIKE T from this forum, and his family, a pleasure to speak to. x

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: reporting back
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »
Glad all is still as wonderful as ever. The new un named bar may be in a very good position for people watching - a hobby of many of us on here lol!!
The new Italian will be open by the time we go in August so will probably try there as well as Mythica.  :)
We must all support the locals as much as we can as they are all great people and always work very hard to make sure we all have a great time in there village. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:03:29 PM »
BAD news is that the Mistral is shut. George's landlord wanted to put up the rent a lot as the tenancy was due for renewal. George declined and has gone back to fishing with his father.

Over the hill walk is troublesome as the cliff has fell in during winter and it is difficult to get over the fall, also the top of the hill is now covered with a fine powder dust, so expect a lot of cling ons during or after rain.

New snack bar opened up overlooking Arillas called Gravia (on hilltop) and a LOT of money has been spent on it, and overall is very good from experience and surveying others.

The SS sunbeds debacle ( Costa had his out for two days and was then threatened with jail, so had to remove them) was all about licences. The paperwork did not go out from the council in time, and were to start from last weekend, not when the first tourists came!!!

New taverna being built on hilltop road where a bungalow used to be. Still in scaffolding.

Arillas sea front almost wrecked during winter with the sea breaking on the beach road, and lots of rocks being thrown about smashing things. Made a mess of the beach too which has no sunbeds, so stay in SS.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:07:17 PM by swedebasher »
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline shelly

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 12:10:10 AM »
It's a good job we are going for 3 weeks. Looking forward to trying the new places as well as revisting all the old ones. What with the glorious weather today its a good job its only a 2 week wait. Thanks for all the updates.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 12:54:12 AM »
It's a good job we are going for 3 weeks. Looking forward to trying the new places as well as revisting all the old ones. What with the glorious weather today its a good job its only a 2 week wait. Thanks for all the updates.
I bet when your there you'll be wishing it was 4 weeks  lol!!!
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 04:29:28 AM »
BAD news is that the Mistral is shut. George's landlord wanted to put up the rent a lot as the tenancy was due for renewal. George declined and has gone back to fishing with his father.

Over the hill walk is troublesome as the cliff has fell in during winter and it is difficult to get over the fall, also the top of the hill is now covered with a fine powder dust, so expect a lot of cling ons during or after rain.

New snack bar opened up overlooking Arillas called Gravia (on hilltop) and a LOT of money has been spent on it, and overall is very good from experience and surveying others.

The SS sunbeds debacle ( Costa had his out for two days and was then threatened with jail, so had to remove them) was all about licences. The paperwork did not go out from the council in time, and were to start from last weekend, not when the first tourists came!!!

New taverna being built on hilltop road where a bungalow used to be. Still in scaffolding.

Arillas sea front almost wrecked during winter with the sea breaking on the beach road, and lots of rocks being thrown about smashing things. Made a mess of the beach too which has no sunbeds, so stay in SS.
Bit of a blow losing the Mistral - one of my favourite lunch spots, we'll miss George.
The Landlord will be sick now then - no income for being greedy in a recession!
Thanks to all above for the reports
Tony
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 11:44:59 AM »

Bit of a blow losing the Mistral - one of my favourite lunch spots, we'll miss George.
Tony
Maybe he will try to get another place instead -you never know. In Corfu you should never say never lol!!!

don

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 11:56:50 AM »

Tony
Maybe he will try to get another place instead -you never know. In Corfu you should never say never lol!!!
George was one of the first half dozen people we met in San Stef and we've always made a point of seeing him even when he worked in a Sidari pool bar.

zoe

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 06:00:14 PM »
roy had the most fantastic fish in there he was taken in to the kitchen to pick the one he wanted will miss going this time

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 08:52:04 PM »
roy had the most fantastic fish in there he was taken in to the kitchen to pick the one he wanted will miss going this time
"What did they take you to the kitchen for Roy?"

don

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 11:40:38 PM »

So which Kitchen did Roy pick?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 06:34:18 AM »

Sounds fishy to me!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

don

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 11:31:15 PM »

Sounds fishy to me!!
Didn't quite catch that. Slipped the net again. Don't worry though I'll feed you another line. See your'e hooked now. I'd run off down the Alley But I've lost the Eel and Sole off my shoe in that Plaice.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:33:11 PM by don »

Offline pembo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 02:35:34 AM »

First of all, it is still the same wonderful, laidback, sunny place that we all love so much.

MYTHICA =  my good friends Jenny & Leo (from Romanza) opened their new restaurant. Located to the left at junction and virtually opposite Yiannis Grill. A pure delight, gorgeous food served with fresh vegetables instead of rice or chips. Good home cooking with an extensive choice and is no more expensive than any other restaurant. A touch of class. Do visit them and tell them Sarah sent you !!

MAMA MIA- opening night is monday 25th May. Pavlos from Zorbas, and is next door to Zorbas. the old Mexican. He has been working very hard the whole time i was there to get it up and running. Looks very nice and am sure it will be of the high standard that is Zorbas.

UN-NAMED AS YET - small bar right next door to SAN STEF Travel. looks like it will be a nice place to chill and watch the world go by. looks very close to finishing.

Well it has been a strange start to the season, most places are booked up, but there never seems to be many about at night. The locals are worried that people are not going out spending in evenings. There is some concern there for survival this season, so come on guys go spend some money. Also the sunbeds did not appear on the beach until the 16th may, this was due to some auction for the pitches on the beach and some arguements, why not do that in the winter then ????

Weather has been great for May, we had a couple of cloudy days but they were still hot, as we did the marathon walk to Avliotes and back !!!!

As usual have been greeted back by all our Greek friends and treated like royalty, and have once again met some lovely people, also met people who stayed at Teresa when we did last year. So all in all it has been a great fortnight, and now we are dying to go back again.

If anyone wants to ask anything please feel free, am sure i can help out with any queries.

Sarah H

P.S Nothing has gone up over there fronm last year, inc Ciggies etc so thats good for us.

[/q Hi Sarah, That was a really good report. Nice to know what changes have taken place since 2008. Will keep going back each year, but If I ever see a Mc Donalds being built, I will consider going somewhere different. We go in August and it can't come soon enough

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 09:40:25 AM »

Sarah H

[/q Hi Sarah, That was a really good report. Nice to know what changes have taken place since 2008. Will keep going back each year, but If I ever see a Mc Donalds being built, I will consider going somewhere different. We go in August and it can't come soon enough
Perish the thought of a McDonalds . We all realise that won't happen though thank goodness.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni