Author Topic: Romanza Hill....(Romanza Hotel)....help  (Read 17329 times)

Offline JP

• View Profile
Romanza Hill....(Romanza Hotel)....help
« on: May 18, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »
Hello All...
Its our first time visiting San Stefanos and we will be staying at The Romaza Hotel..
How hard is the Romanza Hill to walk up each evening?? Or do u recommend a taxi?
Please get back to me as im planning some nice nights out!!
Thanks

P.s Has anybody visited the Romanza Hotel recentely....

Offline OuzoPower

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Romanza Hill....(Romanza Hotel)....help
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 03:38:26 PM »
Hi JP,

Depends on your frame of mind when you start the walk back up !!!

If you're relaxed (well-oiled) and in the mood to continue your night out, it is a nice walk (via Thereza's and Kapetanios obviously).

If you're in a hurry  (or verrrry well oiled), the hill can be a mountain.

I'd give yourself half an hour to walk up it in one go. That way, when you arrive after 15 minutes, you'll have time for another snifter !

Offline JP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:56:52 PM »
Thanks for getting back so quickly,should we start going to the gym?we are really looking forward to our holidays in san stef,how far is the walk to the beach from The Romanza?how many bars nearby? are we near a supermarket or is that a taxi ride,not good at carrying heavy bottles! thanks jp

Offline OuzoPower

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 04:08:51 PM »
San Stef is in between two headlands. The Romanza is at the top of one and Arillas is over the other so everything you'll want is downhill.

Taxis are few and far between. Cant remember if the Kapetanios still runs a taxi or not. Noula at San Stef Travel or the Romanza reception would book one for you.

The Romanza path down the 'cliff' is quite easy going down  (2-3 minutes) but coming back up in the full sun can be a bit unpleasant, far better to take the road route.

There are plenty of bars, supermarkets etc down in the town, some deliver if you spend a reasonable amount or if you turn into a blubbering pile of patheticness in front of them (not that we did....honest!).

Turn left out of the Romanza for a nice place almost on the same level (Voula, I think).

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 04:29:49 PM »
I think the first supermarket you come to is down the hill and will be on the left. They deliver FOC if you spend a certain amount. I think its €10
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline JP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:09:04 PM »
should i leave my platform shoes at home? thanks jules for your reply.We arrive san stef 7weeks today and now on count down.Last year went to the Algarve everything was so expensive 5euros pint 7euros gin and tonic,so its great to read the reviews and hopefully our hang overs will be more frequent than last year.

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:15:06 PM »
Hello All...
Its our first time visiting San Stefanos and we will be staying at The Romaza Hotel..
How hard is the Romanza Hill to walk up each evening?? Or do u recommend a taxi?
Please get back to me as im planning some nice nights out!!
Thanks

P.s Has anybody visited the Romanza Hotel recentely....

aint no taxi's

Offline john and jo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »
The Romanza was the first hotel we stayed at in san stef some 6 or 7 years ago and it is a great really friendly place and they do excellent food,but the hill can be a killer after a big meal and a few drinks (and we were san stef youngsters in our early thirties!!) and her indoors with those shoes that "look great"but can hardly walk in dosen't help!! At least you will burn off a few calories after a night of excesss! Also you can reach the beach directly from the romanza down a steepish path.   

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:16:47 PM »
should i leave my platform shoes at home? thanks jules for your reply.We arrive san stef 7weeks today and now on count down.Last year went to the Algarve everything was so expensive 5euros pint 7euros gin and tonic,so its great to read the reviews and hopefully our hang overs will be more frequent than last year.

Crikey, that's expensive! We've been going to The Algarve for 8 years, staying in Carvoeiro, and on average that round of drinks would be about 7 euros.

We're visting San Stefanos in 4 weeks time after a 16 year absence, staying at the Teresa Hotel. I think we're up a hill; can anyone indicate how long our walk is from the town and/or beach? Cheers, in advance.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 10:21:56 PM »
Thanks for getting back so quickly,should we start going to the gym?we are really looking forward to our holidays in san stef,how far is the walk to the beach from The Romanza?how many bars nearby? are we near a supermarket or is that a taxi ride,not good at carrying heavy bottles! thanks jp
I think it all depends on how fit you are!
On my first visit to San Stefanos 27 years ago, I was able to jog or Stride up the worst hills carrying my Son on my shoulders,
These days downhill is fine and uphill is daunting!!
The walk into town is worth it and you may find a sympathetic restauranter who could give you a lift back up,
Or hire a quad bike for the week, just to do the hill!! Cheap and cheerful!
I think there are Taxi's in Arillas, who may help out, check with Noula is best!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 10:26:32 PM »

Crikey, that's expensive! We've been going to The Algarve for 8 years, staying in Carvoeiro, and on average that round of drinks would be about 7 euros.

We're visting San Stefanos in 4 weeks time after a 16 year absence, staying at the Teresa Hotel. I think we're up a hill; can anyone indicate how long our walk is from the town and/or beach? Cheers, in advance.
There's a short cut down the cliff to the beach, harder going up!!
The walk to Town is not too bad and only about 100-150 metres of steeper hill, on return,
5-10 mins down and 10-12 mins going up.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 12:21:48 AM »
The walk to the beach from Teresa is about 10 minutes max going over the road and down the steps. Coming back up just a bit longer. The walk into the village is a nice steady walk even during the day. Coming back in the heat up the hill can take a whole lot longer but your on holiday and you can take your time - stop off and look in the shops or go for a drink somewhere to break it up. Teresa are in a great position for sunset views due the elevation of the property.You will love it. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline JP

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 03:06:14 PM »
Hi Bristle Boy, we stayed in Carvoeiro last July for 2 weeks really enjoyed it, we stayed at the  hotel at the top of the hill on the left,i must have a thing for extreme hikes after a night out! booked the Romanza this year,so if anyone stumbles upon 2 very unfit couples struggling home each night you know it's us.     

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 10:55:23 PM »
Hi Bristle Boy, we stayed in Carvoeiro last July for 2 weeks really enjoyed it, we stayed at the  hotel at the top of the hill on the left,i must have a thing for extreme hikes after a night out! booked the Romanza this year,so if anyone stumbles upon 2 very unfit couples struggling home each night you know it's us.     

Hi JP. We normally stay in Monte Carvoeiro, in a private apartment that we rent from someone we've never met! But we had a long weekend stay in Carvoeiro in early May a couple of years ago and stayed at the Mirachoro Hotel (i think that's the one you referred to). Carvoeiro's a great place and we've been going for about 8 years now. Going in early September this year.
Bit like the forum membs on here, who keep visiting San Stef. Our last visit to SS was 16 years ago and i suspect, after our June visit this year, we'll want to come back!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:58:52 PM by Bristle Boy »

don

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 11:08:31 PM »
I think it all depends on how fit you are!
On my first visit to San Stefanos 27 years ago, I was able to jog or Stride up the worst hills carrying my Son on my shoulders,
These days downhill is fine and uphill is daunting!!
The walk into town is worth it and you may find a sympathetic restauranter who could give you a lift back up,
Or hire a quad bike for the week, just to do the hill!! Cheap and cheerful!
I think there are Taxi's in Arillas, who may help out, check with Noula is best!!
On my first visit to San Stefanos 27 years ago, I was able to jog or Stride up the worst hills carrying my Son on my shoulders,Looking forward to seeing you do that DOWN from the Romanza!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni