Author Topic: Comments from a long term webmaster  (Read 7219 times)

Offline cannedfool

• SanStef Regular
  • You cant can this fool!
    • View Profile
    • cannedfool.org - coming soon
Comments from a long term webmaster
« on: July 18, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
So im new to ss.co.uk and i have spent a lot of time in the past few days reading the posts. As long running webmaster of a number of forums (as long as my 24 year life will let me) there are only a few things ide change.

1) General Chat Board

This forum really needs a place were the long term/Active members can post what ever they like. Everyone seems to like a little banter but many complain about hijacked threads. With a place for people to just chat and have fun it would mean that more important posts may not get lost in the mix.

2) Website updates

I understand our webmaster may not have all the time in the world to edit the site. One thing i do find is there's a lot of information on the boards which would be very useful on the site. I know 90% of my questions were answered here rather that ss.co.uk itself.  Who ever the web master is ide guess he/she has a few friends here who might help. Most questions are answered here anyway so it wouldn't be that hard to update the pages.

(on a personal note, upgrade to SMF v2 its much more stable (even being a beta) and has a wide range of quality features. I know it says not for production sites but honestly i have upgraded a few sites and its well worth it. OW and touch wood i have had no sql/hacking attacks).

3) Gallery

I'm sure that many of you have amazing photos of ss, some you may wish to share. A simple mySQL gallery would enhance a greater sense of community here. Ide like to see picture of people having fun in SS (if only to give more appeal to people like myself who have never been). Also it would mean if i saw you out and about in SS ide know who you are and maybe make a new friend.

I have nothing really negative to say about these forums. In-fact they are the reason im coming to SS, you dont often find this much information about other resorts. I think this section of the forums could be used to better the experience of users. You don't have to be part of the community if you don't want, so try to be constructive and accept others opinions for what they are.

Sorry for the essay, as i say, i know im new and so my opinion is maybe not as well respected as some. Just think, would i say this to someone's face in real life?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:05:19 PM by cannedfool »

5 Weeks untill i am no longer a SS virgin

Facebook - Cannedfool
Flickr - cannedfool

joan

Re: Comments from a long term webmaster
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:40:22 PM »
A really good idea  :D

Offline 2sanstef

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sanstefanos.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 01:46:10 PM »
Cannedfool, thanks for your constructive comments certainly food for thought. A general chat area has received a high vote in the recent poll so maybe that's the way forward, as you say I can restrict it to members with so many posts etc

I have seen v2 used on many sites in production so maybe this is the way forward I will have a look into how I upgrade and link it to my current mySQL database in the oming weeks.

Can you post or PM a link to your sites so I can have a look?
Its our 10th time here and we will be coming back again very soon!" 8)

www.sanstefanos.co.uk
Admin

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 01:57:07 PM »
Thanks for coming up with some more v good stuff for us all and I hope some of it can lead us all forward to a great site again. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 05:47:36 PM »
Nicely put, very constructive and welcome to ''our'' San Stef website.
We like friendly banter and communities get together because of this - as you say.
I am certainly not opposed to some good changes as long as it doesn't destroy the certain feel of this site, which most of us love.
You will be a most welcome addition to this site if you decide to continue with us!!
Tony
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni