Author Topic: ok - level with me...just how hilly  (Read 16776 times)

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
ok - level with me...just how hilly
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:29:59 AM »
....is this resort,where are the "killer" hills and what distance and incline are they?

don

Re: ok - level with me...just how hilly
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:51:13 AM »
....is this resort,where are the "killer" hills and what distance and incline are they?

The road to the Romanza has a few hairpins..... Not just those from Tony's SPEEDOS. That should give an idea of steepness. Likewise road to Arilas. Never tried "over the top" as road to Elpitha too much for my lungs!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »
As Don says road up to and beyond Romanza is hilly but as long as you don't try to walk faster than your norm everyone should be ok. You can always call into Teresa for a breather and a drink as well.
If I can manage the hills anyone can lol!!! ;)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

zoe

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:41:14 PM »
hill up to romanzas is a little steep but if you take your time not to bad just remember check you have everything you need at the shops as you dont want to have to go back for a pint of milk

don

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 08:46:33 PM »
Level with me!!!! Pun intentional? Or accidental?

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:56:03 AM »

intentional :) I have google earth software and it looks like the town is in a basin or valley floor, and pretty steep up to Voula aptmts and "over the top" to Arillas at the side, I take early morning walks, but need to slow for steep hills, should be ok, looks as though Rose Gdns are on an incline too, it's hard to tell how exagerrated with the software

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:28:47 AM »

intentional :) I have google earth software and it looks like the town is in a basin or valley floor, and pretty steep up to Voula aptmts and "over the top" to Arillas at the side, I take early morning walks, but need to slow for steep hills, should be ok, looks as though Rose Gdns are on an incline too, it's hard to tell how exagerrated with the software
Rose Gardens are on the flat.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 03:34:25 PM »

Zimmer, The Rose gardens are indeed fairly flat, if you walk to the main part of town, via tennis courts, the roads are fairly flat.
In the main part of town, if you carried on toward and past the little Prince (Dimitri), to the Paper shop (Maria & Pele's - Papers usually arrive around 11:00 am) the road then has a gentle incline to the beach junction (The Mini-Market - Margaritas is ahead for the Beach).
Turn sharp left following signs for Elphita Bistro, is up one of the the worst hills, killer hill as we all seem to call it, which is very steep for around 100 metres, you are now breathless by the Moros Apartments, another steep bit for 30 metres and you are at Tsaros Pool and Bar. Just past the pool is the steepest little bit road in the resort, down 30 metres to Nondas Apartments and Elphita Bistro.
I made the mistake once of driving a small engined car there, I almost burnt the clutch out trying to get it back up - never forget it!!
Or carry on up the straight, then you have just steep-ish, similar to the hill up to tereza's, right up to the top of the headland overlooking Arillas.
Lets backtrack - - down to the Margarita's Junction (By the old Magnet Bar now called Simple - if still there?)
Bear left after Killer Hill, avoiding the beach and heading to the church is mainly flat, until you get to Pandora's, then an easy slope up past the Golden Beach Hotel to the church. Carry on for 1km and you will arrive at the New Harbour (incidently, this is where many nudists used to swim off the rocks many years ago). The road first goes up a gentle incline, then the last 200-300 metres is downhill,
steepish - but reasonable and manageable for all - just take it easy up-hill. A very - very nice walk.
Lets Back track again - back to the "T-Junction" by Silver Star/Barras - turn right here (from tennis courts), and its a nice level, maybe a slight incline, walk past the Thomas Bay - Bar 38 - Condor - the road to the Left past the condor & before the Athens bar, takes you to the Athina Hotel, obviously stopping for an obligitory drink with Glen & Maria at the Aquarious Bar, the nicest quieter Bar in the resort.
Carry on through or behind the Athina for the beach.
Backtrack to the Athens Bar;
carry on up the road, the slightest of inclines up to the Sunset Taverna.
This is where the hill starts to bite a little and gets a bit steeper, but managable if you don't rush it, past Olga, up to Tereza's,
stop for a rest and a drink!! - carry on round the bend to Kapitanos - round another hairpin and up to Romanza.
When I first came to the resort - I used to run up all the hills here - now I crawl on my hands and knees!! LOL
I try and avoid the steeper hills these days as it can be hard work, but plenty of good walks without too steep a hill.
Lets Back track to the tennis courts by Paradise - from Rose Gardens - turn left here, 300 metres on the flat and the road goes up a steep-ish, incline - you should be ok with this one - take it slowly. You arrive after 300 metres at a T-junction. ******
Left is the "Tarmac'd" road - follow to the next junction up a very slight incline, ahead is the BP petrol station, but turn right for Arillas, part of the walk is a little steep downhill, around a double bend.
OR - backtrack to ***** the "T-Junction" and turn right up a stony road instead -
this is the longer, but easiest way "UP" to the top of the headland if you walk it, you will see the path down to Arillas, which even I can still manage, but take my time. Carry on up the headland and the great views to the round building right on the tip.
Just before it up a stony path you can access the momument on the top (Cross on top of it)!!
If not sure - hire a small car for the day and drive up there, check out which routes you can easily Manage!!
Definitely worth a look!!!
Now the only bit I am not sure about is - - - can you walk via a short-cut from the rose Gardens directly to the Athens Bar?
Can anyone confirm this as I have never got round to doing it!!
Anyway Zimmer - I hope this give you a little more insight into the resort!! bear in mind its my opinion on steepness,
someone else may say its easier or even worse - LOL!!!
Ask Sandra - she has to carry Don home on her shoulder each night!!!

double bend road
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 06:55:30 PM »
cheers Tone thats brilliant - looking at things on my google thingy, your never sure how distorted the angles are... I notice that the left hand from tennis courts eventually goes along some zig zag roads and up toward Arillas - on the top [ it seems ] as two tavernas to stop at - The Alex and The Star ? any good?, I'll probably set off around 7.30, fetch the bread and make my way back, but I really fancy having a bash at that Rose Gdn to Arillas walk

don

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 07:21:45 PM »

But it is up a shallow incline from there to the T junction leading to the village. I coped ...No probs.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 08:22:34 PM »

But it is up a shallow incline from there to the T junction leading to the village. I coped ...No probs.
Just as I said above - but of course you coped don - you ran the Marathon in 2 hours!!!
But us poor old semi-disabled folk of mature years have to plan these things!! LOL

don

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 11:29:19 PM »

Just as I said above - but of course you coped don - you ran the Marathon in 2 hours!!!
But us poor old semi-disabled folk of mature years have to plan these things!! LOL

Got to admit that I shy away from hills. They hurt too too much. Legacy of a former 40 a day for 40 years habit!

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »
Do you know the Alex and Star Tavs? on the hill over from tennis court to Arillas? any good?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 01:42:18 AM »
Do you know the Alex and Star Tavs? on the hill over from tennis court to Arillas? any good?
Never tried or even noticed them before - so sorry!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni