Author Topic: moussaka!  (Read 50715 times)

don

Re: moussaka!
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 02:37:30 PM »
Once tried Asda Extra Special Moussaka or should it have been Moossaka? Never tasted one like it in Greece!
Was it that good? Is that a Scottish, or American moose?

Gerald Ratner once had a word for it that caused his company to go bump           C R A P

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009, 06:34:21 PM »
Well we bought our Tesco Finest Moussaka for 2. Having with salad tonight and will report back  on it.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

zoe

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2009, 07:27:14 PM »
moussaka recipe in todays daily express mag

don

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 11:50:13 PM »
moussaka recipe in todays daily express mag
Very Tory !!! LOL

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 12:07:15 AM »
Well we had the Tesco Finest Moussaka and it wasn't to bad. Would have been better in San Stef though lol!!!!!!! ;)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

zoe

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 01:16:13 AM »
i think the tescos finest is one of the best

don

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 03:32:56 AM »
Even in San Stef???????????????????????????????????

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 10:15:19 AM »
Even in San Stef???????????????????????????????????
Of course not - a genuine Greek one on holiday is always best. :)

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 11:04:11 AM »
without sounding snobby, making your own has to be better than ready meals that go PING!
On the face of it moussaka should be straightforward,a lasagne without pasta but with aubergine instead [or potato]layers,but Ive yet to make one thats anywhere near authentic - I think it's the cheese sauce that makes it...oh and always salt your aubergine slices for at least half hour in a sieve,or they'll taste 'orrible

Offline deemac

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »
without sounding snobby, making your own has to be better than ready meals that go PING!
On the face of it moussaka should be straightforward,a lasagne without pasta but with aubergine instead [or potato]layers,but Ive yet to make one thats anywhere near authentic - I think it's the cheese sauce that makes it...oh and always salt your aubergine slices for at least half hour in a sieve,or they'll taste 'orrible
My wife and I both make, but hers is best. It takes a long time to make, at least 4 hours. There is less need to salt aubergine with new varieties.
deemac

don

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 06:50:36 PM »
My wife and I both make, but hers is best. It takes a long time to make, at least 4 hours. There is less need to salt aubergine with new varieties.

What do you mean             "oh and always salt your aubergine slices for at least half hour in a sieve" ?

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 07:25:02 PM »
Ok - if you cut the aubergine in slices, sprinkle them with salt in a sieve, what happens is that the bitter juices seep out, the aubergine becomes moist and absorbs the taste of the meat better and has lost it's bitter slightly tough taste, after about 1/2 hour wash them, pat dry and then their ready to be cooked..voila:) and cook the moussaka slowly...Zimmers greek cookery tip of the day

zoe

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 10:46:53 PM »
i dont think you can make any greek meal taste the same as when you are away no matter how you try there is the most important thing missing the sun shine makes all the diference
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:34:50 AM by zoe »

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 11:27:22 PM »
never heard of sunshine as an ingredient  ???

don

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2009, 11:38:54 PM »
Dunno Zimmer............... If I make a trifle I use Liquid Sunshine from the Jerez area of Spain LOL

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni