Author Topic: Advice, how to take money??  (Read 33914 times)

Offline julie49

• View Profile
Advice, how to take money??
« on: April 18, 2009, 10:13:43 PM »
We usually rely on atm's but understand that this may not be a good idea, advice please on how best to take money?  The travel agent told me today that they are advising people not to use credit cards abroad because of fraud, but to take traveller cheques, they seemed to think they could be used as cash in restaurants? Would it be best to take travellers cheques in euro's or sterling? Any help appreciated.

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Advice, how to take money??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 10:26:46 PM »
hi julie
we always take sterling as we seem to get a better rate out there
we use a credit card (the wife to much lol )
fruad in san steph on a card you would be the first have a great hoil

chris

zoe

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 11:51:40 PM »
we always take cash we hire a safe at hotel and have always felt safe doing this

don

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 12:32:55 AM »
We two always take cash to San Stef too!!! Unfortunately being of the tight fisted variety we use the free safety deposit boxes at Sidari/Kappa travel.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 12:48:08 AM »
We always only take cash as well and always hire a safety deposit box at our apartments.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 02:28:32 AM »
hot news don has cash mythos all round
chris (lol don )

don

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 03:36:08 AM »
Chris is skint ................ LOL...... Gordon Brown!!

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:06:07 AM »
hi julie
we always take sterling as we seem to get a better rate out there
we use a credit card (the wife to much lol )
fruad in san steph on a card you would be the first have a great hoil

chris

can you recommend where these places are Chris?

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 10:07:35 AM »
We always only take cash as well and always hire a safety deposit box at our apartments.

cash? is that Euro or sterling? I normally take Euro's and some sterling for the taxi to/from Cardiff airport, I use a card at the airport and on the flight
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:09:19 AM by Zimmer »

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 11:15:21 AM »

cash? is that Euro or sterling? I normally take Euro's and some sterling for the taxi to/from Cardiff airport, I use a card at the airport and on the flight
Exactly the same as you. Euros for whilst there and some sterling for the taxis to and from Manchester :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 11:16:24 AM »

Exactly the same as you. Euros for whilst there and some sterling for the taxis to and from Manchester :)
We do also make sure we have debit cards with us just in case but have never had to use them.

Offline kemo

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 02:00:50 PM »
We take  some euros for 1st couple of days and the rest in sterling and we use the safety boxes in the travel shop opp.condor bar.You can also change your money there

don

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 02:58:34 PM »
Always take €uros.... Have contract with company at this end for home to airport transfers. Pay Noula for transfers at other end in cash. Don't use cards abroad at all. Proved a good move last year as some nice soul spent £500 while we were in san Stef last July. Lloyds refunded our cash straight away.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »
Always take €uros.... Have contract with company at this end for home to airport transfers. Pay Noula for transfers at other end in cash. Don't use cards abroad at all. Proved a good move last year as some nice soul spent £500 while we were in san Stef last July. Lloyds refunded our cash straight away.
Did your card get fraudently used in San Stefanos or back at home whilst you were away? If San Stefanos I wouldn't have beleived it. Total shock.

don

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 06:56:43 PM »
Did your card get fraudently used in San Stefanos or back at home whilst you were away? If San Stefanos I wouldn't have beleived it. Total shock.
At Clinton Cards!!! Now who would spend that much there? I wouldn't even spend that much on my OLD mate Tony or Chris LOL

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni