Author Topic: Mozzies in San Stef  (Read 53588 times)

Offline Welshone

• View Profile
Mozzies in San Stef
« on: April 10, 2009, 08:12:15 PM »
We are coming to San Stef at the beginning of June. How much of a nuisance will mosquitos be? What do you recommend to deal with them?

don

Re: Mozzies in San Stef
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:00:17 PM »
We eat Garlic, wear anti-mozzie bands, use lemon shower gel, after sun with insect repellant and basically anything that anyone suggests. Still get bit though!  ;D

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 12:04:54 AM »
All the usual repellents and plug ins. We use Jungle Formula and last year was the first time I have never been bit. Roy for some reason has never been bit on our hols. He swears its the marmite he eats. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 07:35:37 AM »
you may get the odd bite, but take precautions - you should be ok.
I generally never get bitten - my wife usually cop's a couple of bites each holiday.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

don

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 11:53:17 AM »
I generally never get bitten - my wife usually cop's a couple of bites each holiday.

Tony.... you little beast you! LOL :o

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 07:04:37 AM »

Tony.... you little beast you! LOL :o
Well that too!!LOL
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Frosty.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 04:50:31 PM »
I have used Citroenella oil (not sure I have spelt that correctly), you can buy it from a Pharmacy/Health shop and generally some on the wrists and ankles before I go out at night usually does the trick for me, it's not expensive and goes a long way.  You do tend to smell of lemons tho!!

don

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 08:26:31 PM »
I don't mind the smell of lemons. Do you buy it in Greece or UK?

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 08:54:57 PM »
Citronella candles available in most shops in the village. We sometimes light them on the balcony if we want to sit out late at night.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Frosty.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
I get my Citroenella oil from Lloyds pharmacy. I also think Holland & Barrett sell it, it's not expensive, my current bottle has lasted me 2 years.  I put mine on neat but the first time you use it you may want to water it down a bit.

don

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 10:41:34 PM »
I get my Citroenella oil from Lloyds pharmacy. I also think Holland & Barrett sell it, it's not expensive, my current bottle has lasted me 2 years.  I put mine on neat but the first time you use it you may want to water it down a bit.

Cheers, will try that.......... My biggest problem is I get bit on the hands. Yes I put on all sorts of lotions & potions to keep the varmints at bay then go and wash my hands..... DOH!!!!!!! :'(

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 11:42:29 PM »

Cheers, will try that.......... My biggest problem is I get bit on the hands. Yes I put on all sorts of lotions & potions to keep the varmints at bay then go and wash my hands..... DOH!!!!!!! :'(
Use the roll on types (jungle formula) and you don't then have to rub it in with your hands.

don

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 03:11:56 AM »

Use the roll on types (jungle formula) and you don't then have to rub it in with your hands.

With being roll on types do they keep my belly in or control my perspiration and BO!  LOL

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 11:48:24 AM »
All the usual repellents and plug ins. We use Jungle Formula and last year was the first time I have never been bit. Roy for some reason has never been bit on our hols. He swears its the marmite he eats. :)

Does Roy go out smeared in it ? :D

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 11:51:32 AM »

You lucky bugger, for some reason, the last few years, they've really taken to me, which in my case is a suicide mission for them  ;D [ warfarin ] but your right just take as many sensible and well recommended precautions

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni