Author Topic: The Airlines Charges - what do you think?  (Read 16260 times)

don

Re: The Airlines Charges - what do you think?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 11:09:13 PM »
I'm with you Don on weights, and also have never had hand luggage weighed, good job as I have my cameras in that!!

I know exactly what you mean. I carry a minimum of 2 digital cameras and a video-cam and sometimes a full SLR outfit too. That back-pack stays with me!!!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 01:08:43 AM »
I'm with you Don on weights, and also have never had hand luggage weighed, good job as I have my cameras in that!!

I know exactly what you mean. I carry a minimum of 2 digital cameras and a video-cam and sometimes a full SLR outfit too. That back-pack stays with me!!!
I sometimes take the Laptop in the back pack as well as my camera so I can download and check my pictures out.
Also good for checking any DVD films on offer and you could always log on in previous years to the public Wi-Fi
and check emails or this forum!!
Sad - eh!!  :o 
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 12:16:13 AM »
Thomsons on there website say you can only have 20 kilos each and not spread them over 2 cases so each case can only be 20 kilos max and if you have hand luggage that has to be deducted from your 20 kilos as well >:(
This is what is stated on Thomsons website
Standard Baggage Conditions
Any baggage may only be accepted if it is packed and secured in suitcases or similar containers and capable of withstanding reasonable handling.

Any passenger presenting baggage that is insecurely or insufficiently packed, or already damaged must sign a disclaimer waiving their right to any subsequent claim.

Each customer may take one item of hand baggage (maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm), Other bags such as handbags, laptop bags or laptop computers must be carried within the single item of cabin baggage.

The total weight of hand luggage items must not exceed 10kg and is part of any baggage allowance which you may have purchased, or be entitled to (please see your travel documentation). You must be able to lift this yourself into overhead storage compartments and any handbag or laptop computer bag (or equivalent) must fit under the seat in front of you.

If your total baggage weight exceeds the limit detailed on your booking confirmation, excess hold baggage will be accepted for carriage subject to the conditions of acceptance of excess baggage, and will be charged at the current excess baggage charge (per kg) each way. This rate will vary by destination. Extra weight can be purchased in advance on Thomson.co.uk/flights.com at a discount during the flight booking process, or via the call centre.

Any single item of checked-in luggage must not exceed 32kg, as this exceeds the recommended guidelines for airport baggage handlers to lift.

Infants under the age of 2 have no hand/hold baggage allowance.

It is recommended that video cameras, mobile telephones and other valuable items should be carried as hand luggage; they must not exceed the dimensions outlined above. Customers will only be able to carry Hypodermic Syringes in their hand luggage if supporting an approved "Diabetic Doctors letter". Customers carrying such items must also advise check-in staff.

Can I combine my baggage allowance with someone else?
No, unfortunately you can no longer combine your luggage allowance with another passenger. The maximum weight for any piece of luggage to be checked into the aircraft hold is 20kgs. If you and another passenger wish to share a bag you can do so - however please ensure that no one piece of luggage exceeds the maximum 20kgs weight allowance. Similarly if you are taking hand baggage, please remember that no one piece of hand baggage must exceed the maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm and maximum weight of 10kg.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 02:30:25 AM »
I rest my case - it's all in the small print -
Thompsons and co-conspiritors, use the baggage scam all the time and see it as a cash cow!!
Ryanair being the worst!!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 09:36:19 AM »
Personally though I think it is all just pure luck who you get at the check ins as it does seem to vary across the country and aslo varies at your chosen airport. Its probably all comes down to how busy they are.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 10:37:21 PM »
Personally though I think it is all just pure luck who you get at the check ins as it does seem to vary across the country and aslo varies at your chosen airport. Its probably all comes down to how busy they are.
I think there is an element of truth there!!

zoe

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 11:13:26 PM »
have just been looking to book for september thomsons have put baggage allowance down to 15kg £10 for 5 extra when we went in june it was 20kg >:(

don

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »
Late bookings with Thomson always carry less of an allowance. Did you book?

zoe

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 11:33:51 PM »
we were going to book today but will now be monday as i will ring a girl who can sometimes get a little bit more off the price if i work out a price for everything if she cant will do it myself

Offline Paulene Dean

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 12:35:30 AM »
Hi all

Over the years we have used a number of different flight operators - this year Easyjet started flying to Corfu from Bristol - brilliant times as we have 2 young children - and from beginning to end I couldn't fault them. We booked the flights back in Jan at a very good price, luggage allowance was not a prob as 2 standard cases are allowed with total weight of 64 KG (u can pay for xtra if needed) , and also because our youngest is under 5 were given priority boarding at no extra cost. Checkin at both ends  was really quick - quickest we have ever known it - and the in flight food - altho you need to pay seperately for it - was the best we've ever seen for choice and value for money. We'll def be booking with them again next yr.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 01:48:43 AM »
Yes - we also had a good Easyjet experience.
Also travelled with Son and Daughter-in-law, with Grandson.
Given priority boarding as per the child, a good all round experience.
Flights were (with all the bits) £140 each approx. return. Easy everything - only complaint - they ran out of food on the way home!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni