Author Topic: Cost of living in San Stefanos  (Read 24904 times)

Offline madge

• View Profile
Cost of living in San Stefanos
« on: March 16, 2009, 02:39:10 PM »
Hi

We booked a week in June to Theresa apartments last summer.  Like probably everyone else we are concerned at the Euro exchange rate, and therefore the likely costs.  We have to pay the balance of the holiday at the beginning of April and don't know whether to cancel or transfer to somewhere that includes some food.  To be honest, that is not really our scene, we like to be independent and eat and drink where we fancy.  Is anyone able to give some advice as to what approx a nice meal for 2 costs, price of a pint etc.  Many thanks for anyone's advice.

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of living in San Stefanos
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 08:25:59 PM »
hi there madge, eating out in the village is a brilliant experience and the prices are all very reasonable. Some places are slightly more expensive than others but as you will see from this site very few people have had a negative experience anywhere. Many  places have at least one set meal which is a special which last year was about 8 euros with a glass  of wine thrown in. This usually included a starter and a main. Places like the Little Prince, Zorbas and Yiannis grill room are very reasonable indeed as is the Paradise right at the end of the village and if you want to splash out a bit more then Ozzy oils or the Beachcomber bistro are a bit more special but still wont break the bank. If you like to be independant then SS is the place to be! I am sure you will find places to suit your pocket and tastes.  Everyone on here has their special favourites and the biggest problem you will have is choosing where to eat each night and that you will have to miss some places out.

Offline madge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:44:40 PM »
Stressed - thanks for your reply.  Funds are a wee bit short this year, as I'm sure like many and that is why we only booked a week.  We certainly don't mind spending for a nice meal or drink etc, but with this horrendous euro situation, don't want to seem to be paying through the nose so to speak.  It is years since we have been to Greece, Roda was the last place we went to in Corfu (we had a lovely holiday then) and we have been going to Cyprus for over 15 years.  We absolutely loved Cyprus, it was like a second home to us, but the old cypriot hospitality is gradually fading in many many places, and the last couple of years have not been the same, even more so since the introduction of the euro there last year.
We did'nt know whether to cancel and go somewhere AI, but to be honest on reflection, it is going to cost around £500 more than the balance we have to pay for San Stefanos, and my hubby thinks we could get a lot of food and drink for that and the choice of where we want to eat and eat what we want. If it is like Cyprus and around 3 euro for a lager or whatever, that should be fine.  It sounds a lovely place.  Thanks Madge xx

don

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 11:48:23 PM »
As a rough guide :-
Beer around €2 per pint
Short with mixer around €3.50
Special of the day at most Tavernas around €7.50 and normally consists of starter and main or wine and main.
Lunch usually Giros Pitta for around €3 and very filling.
Alternatively there is a good bakery. We take a fair lump of cheddar and get fresh rolls and a tomato. Bread and jam also does for a lunchtime snack.
Breakfast is normally Flakes and milk on the balcony or terrace.
Just a few cheap tips, anyone who knows me will back me up and say I'm cheap!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 02:21:04 AM by don »

Offline Helen

• SanStef Hero
  • Helen & Graham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:02:22 AM »
hi Madge
welcome to the site  :) Don forgot to tell you how generous the short's measures are!! VERY VERY GENEROUS
have lots of fun
helen

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 12:24:03 AM »
Hi Madge,
As mentioned the specials boards do offer fantastic value for money and they do include some of the popular meals from the main menu. The drinks are large and are well worth it. We always stay at Teresa in the Self Catering apartments and we always have breakfast either in the village or on our balcony. Eating breakfast out for full English is around €4 euros each depending which place you go to. Are you in the self catering or the B & B.
Teresa do good meals from breakfast , lunch and evening meals at a reasonable cost and are always well presented. :)
Whatever you decide you can make the week as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 02:15:27 AM »
I also agree with the above comments.
I understand the constraints of the credit crunch, but if anyone is on a tight budget, (or simply tight like Don), do as he says!!
It makes sense where you staying, to do your own thing for breakfast and save the cash for the evening meals.
We quite often take rolls from the bakery like Don does for lunch, it's plenty when you are lazing on the beach.
We have in the past when funds were tight, even eaten in as well, lots of people do, and then go out for a drink!!
However, San Stef compares quite well with most resorts in Europe, so enjoy.
The problem with ''All Inclusive's'' is they work to a tight budget and the food quality often suffers, (unless you go 5 star),
also I am convinced they water down the booze as well.
Have a good holiday and don't worry - you will love it there!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 09:49:19 AM »
hi madge
you have booked a great place to stay at terezas when you have had your stay there you will be glad you did not change your plans

the bbq night at terezas is one not to miss only 10 euro pp and i think the girls like the dancing too
we eat at terezas twice while staying in san steph and the most we have payed for 10 peeps is 130 euro so i think for two of you you will do well if you can spend £500 in a week and remember all the nights lol

chris

when are you out there in june ?

Offline madge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 05:07:56 PM »
Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to answer our queries.  Hope I did not come over as being a "tight wad!!", and are going to stick with the holiday we have booked.  We are staying in the self catering apartments because we had read quite a few of the reviews and they seemed to come out in favour of the apartments because they have the best view, and leave 12th June.  The costs appear to be relatively cheaper than Cyprus, but again we certainly don't mind paying for quality food.  That is what we love to do in the evening, a couple of drinks, little explore of the menu's on offer, and then sit and enjoy the meal with a nice bottle of wine.  Roll on June.  Once again thanks for all your replies.  Madge xx

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 08:06:53 PM »
might even bump into you madge we go 5th june for two weeks

chris

don

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 11:30:17 PM »
Madge.... Instead of bottles of wine try the carafes of house wines. We tried 18 different ones last year and they ranged from yeuk !! To - can I have another carafe please? Some were extremely palatable. Only problem is we can't remember which were where. Guarantees good fun again this year!

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 12:17:55 PM »
I can vouch for last years house wine at the Mistral and Elpitha.
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 12:43:59 AM »
One of the may good things about SS is you can make your stay as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be without spoiling your holiday at all.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 01:50:04 AM »
Madge - you could never be a tight-wad - Don bought the title - Lord Tightwad - - LOL
Seriously, you should have some cash left over - so put behind the bar for us lot!!! LOL
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

don

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 02:36:03 AM »
Madge - you could never be a tight-wad - Don bought the title - Lord Tightwad - - LOL
Seriously, you should have some cash left over - so put behind the bar for us lot!!! LOL

Yes Madge as you can see by the colour of this print Tonyco1 and myself need all possible donations to keep the delectable and luscious Linda & Sandra to the style they endearingly believe they deserve..... All blame please to go to Jules (really JEWELS) & Suela who live to such an exorbitant standard and make us pale in comparison!!!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:53:48 PM by don »

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni