Author Topic: Back in 2009  (Read 21685 times)

Offline Gordonc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Back in 2009
« on: March 15, 2009, 06:17:01 PM »
Hi All

New to the forum and looking forward to returning to San Stef in May for our second visit. Our first trip was in June 2007, staying at the Little Prince and we fell in love with the village and indeed Corfu itself.

We had a memorable holiday and everyone we met in the village was very friendly and we were made very welcome at the Little Prince. Used San Stefanos Travel for a few excursions and rented a car for a few days from the car hire place in the main street, name forgotten, sign of old age perhaps!

Anyway, really looking forward to our hols but wondering what to expect temperaturewise in May, we arrive on the 8th. Also what changes in the village since were last there?

Grodon and Beryl

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Back in 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »
Hi Gordon and Beryl,
Welcome to this site. As you will find all on here are very friendly and helpful. Not sure poersonally what the weather is like in May but if you look on this link it will give you the weather from previous years for Corfu.
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/LGKR/2008/5/1/MonthlyHistory.html

This is a good weather site and if you look I have saved it to My last year for you but you can go back to any dates for a good few years back.

This following link is for SS weather but is only the short range forecast.

http://www.corfunet.com/weather/index.php

Since your last visit in 2007 there have been some new shops built and I'm not sure if the hair and beauty shop was there in 2007. Its called Monroes. Anyway it will add to your excitement to see all new things for yourselves and maybe you can report back to us oldies!!!!!!!!.
If you need any more help at all just ask away. :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:14:39 PM by JULES T »
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 05:12:42 AM »
We were there in the last two weeks of May in 2008, weather was iffy the week before we arrived - but was fabulous for the whole of our stay. May is usually good!!
Tony
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline sharris

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 10:23:53 PM »
Welcome Gordon & Beryl

I have been the last 2 Mays (and Septembers !!!) and have to say its really nice in May.

May 2006 i had a better tan after one week than i did that September, last year was also good. It can be a bit breezy but that just makes it easier to lie out in sun all day !!!

Also, the island is very pretty at this time, with blossoming trees and flowers, its like Spring.

The village is also just coming back to life for the new season so everyone is gearing up for the summer and glad to be back at work i think. i always find it nice to be some of the first visitors.

Am sure you will enjoy yourselves.

Sarah H
xx

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 01:44:18 AM »
We agree - May should be good - it usually always is - and not too hot.
We did find that not everything was fully up and running during May - i.e. Water sports and a couple of restaurants.
but what the heck!!
Most things were open - just not all the entertainment - but we had a great time!!
Have a good holiday!!

Offline Brisey

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 11:02:16 AM »
We have been going to San Stef in May for the past 10 years. As it is the start of the season you are made most welcome wherever you go. Be prepared for slightly chilly evenings, there is also a possibility of a rainy day. If the Mistral, a cold wind from europe, starts blowing it can get rather chilly and it will keep you off the beach.
When i die, i want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather... not terrified and screaming.......like his passengers

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 01:16:10 AM »
We have been going to San Stef in May for the past 10 years. As it is the start of the season you are made most welcome wherever you go. Be prepared for slightly chilly evenings, there is also a possibility of a rainy day. If the Mistral, a cold wind from europe, starts blowing it can get rather chilly and it will keep you off the beach.
Just to add to that, it only usually blows strongly for a couple of days - 3 max, so it's a day by the pool if you don't want sand everywhere!!
but the Mistrals usually run in a 10-12 day cycle of windy weather with a rough sea & breakers on the beach, for a few days followed by a change to very calm weather with sea like a mill-pond, then a gradual slow build up to breezier weather again.
in my experience, so you uaually only see one in a normal fortnight, and often don't see any at all, we found it worse (if thats is a good word), in September than in May.
We have sat through quite a few Mistrals in the last 27 years & they have never spoiled our holiday, but worth knowing what to possibly expect!!
Whatever happens, it will not put you off this resort - we usually use it as an excuse to go off in a car for a day - or to visit Corfu Town!!

Offline SueLa

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 02:14:43 AM »
I recommend that you take a wooly jumper just in case as it can turn chilly in the evenings.
Sue & John
A smile is a frown turned upside down

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 02:26:29 AM »
I recommend that you take a wooly jumper just in case as it can turn chilly in the evenings.
A glowing Lime Green one I suppose Sue??

don

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 02:31:03 AM »

With open toes too?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 02:35:14 AM »

With open toes too?
You mean Open Toe Doc Martins!!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 09:43:47 AM »
In September we have only had it windy once since we have been going to SS (since 2000) and that was the year before last. It didn't spoil anything at all.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 12:07:17 AM »
In September we have only had it windy once since we have been going to SS (since 2000) and that was the year before last. It didn't spoil anything at all.
Not surprised Jules - you must have set the "Big-foot" Doc Martins into the wind and used them as windbreakers!!

don

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 12:36:43 AM »
Not surprised Jules - you must have set the "Big-foot" Doc Martins into the wind and used them as windbreakers!!

A change of diet could solve the problem...... If not buy a kite!!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »

A change of diet could solve the problem...... If not buy a kite!!

Ooh You two are awful - but I like you. :P

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni