Author Topic: Map of the route from the airport  (Read 17321 times)

Offline sanhelp

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Map of the route from the airport
« on: March 01, 2009, 12:28:37 AM »
I will be visiting Corfu for the first time and will be hiring a car from the airport on arrival. We will be traveling to San Stefanos and was wondering if you could recommend a route and a good road map.

Offline corfuaddicts

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Map of the route from the airport
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 12:32:23 AM »
I take it you mean SanStefanos NW? as their is a similar resort on the NE side of the island, wouldn't want to send you to the wrong one

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 06:03:04 AM »
I will be visiting Corfu for the first time and will be hiring a car from the airport on arrival. We will be traveling to San Stefanos and was wondering if you could recommend a route and a good road map.
The trick in Corfu is to plan routes via villages.
There is two, even three alternative routes the taxis/Coaches take you these days.
1) My favourite  via Arrilas. Quickest and reasonable journey.
2) Via Sidari and avliotes - slightly longer but better sign posted, some narrow villages and bendy narrow mountain roads.
3) follow main road following signs for initially, Roda and Sidari, (by-passing) Roda, via Karoussades, Sidari Avliotes.
I'll stick with these.
Leave the Airport, at "T" junction turn Right, (you should have a map from the hire Co.) you need to take a left turn and go ahead -
To complicated to give exact directions, find your way out of town looking for Gouvia.
So - follow signs for Gouvia , then Limni.
you are heading for the road (that passes the road towards the Harbour - on your right)
It's a dual Carriageway (not many of those on Corfu) -
and also on your right you will note you are running along the coastline for a while.

After Limni, look for Gazatika (and general signs for Sidari & Palaiokastritsa) - you will turn right at a big "T"-junction).
At this "T"-junction (it should be signposted Sidari & Roda), turn right - then after 30 metres, the road goes sharp left & you will be driving up a "mini-mountain" one of the higher points of Corfu, and by-passing Skripero (on your left), through Troumpettas village (top).

As you descend the other side, after the double bends, (just before Kastellani village), there is another "T"-Junction sharply to the right, {this is the way the Coaches Go} (option 3)
Now decide your route!!
Option 1). You would not go right at the T"-Junction, carry on straight through Kastellani village, and turn right at the next "T"-Junction.
(Sign-posted Agros & Sidari).
At Agros village, Turn very sharply to the left (not towards Sidari), and follow the road, (follow signs for Arillas ), via Aspiotades, Manatades, Dafni, Termenades, Armenades, Kavadades, (by-pass)-Magoulades (on right) -  drive into Arillas -
at "T" junction (Cash Machine - before sea front) turn right - Follow Road up hill, turn left, (before BP Garage),
Follow main Road, Turning right at next "T"-Junction, follow road - welcome to San Stefanos!

Option 2). Again, You would not go right at the T"-Junction, carry on straight into Kastellani bear right and simply follow signs for Sidari, then as below from Sidari.
a harder route roads not so good.

(option 3) - Starting back to descending the mountain, Turn sharp right, at the "T"-Junction, (just before Kastellani village),
{this is the way the Coaches Go}
it's much longer, distance & time, but better roads. It goes via the road to Roda initially, then Sidari, follow signs for Acharavi, (by-passing) Roda, via Karoussades, Sidari, Avliotes then into San Stefanos.

Sidari is partially one way system now - follow road through Sidari - as you leave Sidari 1/2 Kilometre, turn Left then immediately turn right after 30 metres. (straight on is sign-posted Peroulades). Follow signs for Avliotes, watch out for sharp bends, slowly through village, then follow main road to left for San Stefanos. 10 mins drive now.
This is probably your easiest route, road wise, but a much longer drive.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:22:34 AM »
The trick in Corfu is to plan routes via villages.
There is two, even three alternative routes the taxis/Coaches take you these days.
1) My favourite  via Arrilas. Quickest and reasonable journey.
2) Via Sidari and avliotes - slightly longer but better sign posted, some narrow villages and bendy narrow mountain roads.
3) follow main road following signs for initially, Roda and Sidari, (by-passing) Roda, via Karoussades, Sidari Avliotes.
I'll stick with these.
Leave the Airport, at "T" junction turn Right, (you should have a map from the hire Co.) you need to take a left turn and go ahead -
To complicated to give exact directions, find your way out of town looking for Gouvia.
So - follow signs for Gouvia , then Limni.
you are heading for the road (that passes the road towards the Harbour - on your right)
It's a dual Carriageway (not many of those on Corfu) -
and also on your right you will note you are running along the coastline for a while.

After Limni, look for Gazatika (and general signs for Sidari & Palaiokastritsa) - you will turn right at a big "T"-junction).
At this "T"-junction (it should be signposted Sidari & Roda), turn right - then after 30 metres, the road goes sharp left & you will be driving up a "mini-mountain" one of the higher points of Corfu, and by-passing Skripero (on your left), through Troumpettas village (top).

As you descend the other side, after the double bends, (just before Kastellani village), there is another "T"-Junction sharply to the right, {this is the way the Coaches Go} (option 3)
Now decide your route!!
Option 1). You would not go right at the T"-Junction, carry on straight through Kastellani village, and turn right at the next "T"-Junction.
(Sign-posted Agros & Sidari).
At Agros village, Turn very sharply to the left (not towards Sidari), and follow the road, (follow signs for Arillas ), via Aspiotades, Manatades, Dafni, Termenades, Armenades, Kavadades, (by-pass)-Magoulades (on right) -  drive into Arillas -
at "T" junction (Cash Machine - before sea front) turn right - Follow Road up hill, turn left, (before BP Garage),
Follow main Road, Turning right at next "T"-Junction, follow road - welcome to San Stefanos!

Option 2). Again, You would not go right at the T"-Junction, carry on straight into Kastellani bear right and simply follow signs for Sidari, then as below from Sidari.
a harder route roads not so good.

(option 3) - Starting back to descending the mountain, Turn sharp right, at the "T"-Junction, (just before Kastellani village),
{this is the way the Coaches Go}
it's much longer, distance & time, but better roads. It goes via the road to Roda initially, then Sidari, follow signs for Acharavi, (by-passing) Roda, via Karoussades, Sidari, Avliotes then into San Stefanos.

Sidari is partially one way system now - follow road through Sidari - as you leave Sidari 1/2 Kilometre, turn Left then immediately turn right after 30 metres. (straight on is sign-posted Peroulades). Follow signs for Avliotes, watch out for sharp bends, slowly through village, then follow main road to left for San Stefanos. 10 mins drive now.
This is probably your easiest route, road wise, but a much longer drive.

Think I will stick to the coach transfer - it sounds very complicated unless you are there.  :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:21:40 AM »
Actually, I've done this journey loads of times now and as long as you look out for the main destinations signposted,
it's very easy. Not so easy in the dark though!!!
The main advice is to check out a good road map first and remember where the main places are,
then you know which way you are heading.
Coming out of Corfu Town can be sticky, but follow the signs for either Gouvia, Palaiokastritsa, Roda & Sidari - you've Cracked it!!
Then you adjust according to the route you have chosen! - I have never needed a Sat-Nav on Corfu.
A good map reader alongside you is helpful though!!
Remember, they only sign for villages that are quite close (or not at all), but if you are on the road, and stick to the main road,
don't disappear up a dirt track, the next village on the list will soon come up.

Where's your sense of adventure Jules? LoL 8) ??? ??? ???

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »
remember arriving one night with daughter and getting taxi at the airport.... he got lost on the backroads (took a right turn on the road getting close to the olive workshop) Dont know how the heck i did it but i managed to navigate to ss for him! It was one am and daughter was panicking like crazy as Noula should have sent  taxi and we half believed apartment would not be ready . i did keep telling her that it would not be a prob cos someone would find us something! as it was noula saw the taxi going through arillas and recognised me and dashed back to ss to let us into apt! point i started making was... its really not that hard to get there jules !

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 12:34:27 AM »
A couple of years ago 2 friends and ourselves had the quad bikes as normal and decided we would go to Paleokastritsa. It took us over 4 hours to get there. Yes you did read that correctly. We just got so lost and ended up going through Agios Georgeous 3 times at least. In the end we were joking with the woman in the cafe that we would see her again in 20 minutes and lo and behold we did. Although it took that long we had a great time and Richard our friend said it was the best fun he had ever had with his clothes on!!!!!!!!!!lol ;)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 01:17:44 AM »
A couple of years ago 2 friends and ourselves had the quad bikes as normal and decided we would go to Paleokastritsa. It took us over 4 hours to get there. Yes you did read that correctly. We just got so lost and ended up going through Agios Georgeous 3 times at least. In the end we were joking with the woman in the cafe that we would see her again in 20 minutes and lo and behold we did. Although it took that long we had a great time and Richard our friend said it was the best fun he had ever had with his clothes on!!!!!!!!!!lol ;)
If it was Jules driving - no wonder how long it took!!! LOL
We enjoy the journey to Paleokastritsa, and the "must do" stop at one of the 2 x Cafe's overlooking, Bella Vista and forgot the other name!!
what a stunning view!!
But on a quad bike? - not sure thats the best mode of transport for that journey, I find Quad's a little unstable compared to a proper bike.
(yes I was an ex biker in my youth and always had a bike and car until about 15 years ago when I realised just how vunerable you are).
Still if you go round the corners slowly - you are ok! and yes it was fun to drive one - had one last year!

So if Richard kept his clothes on  - - - - what were you doing?  ::)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 06:31:45 AM »
If it was Jules driving - no wonder how long it took!!! LOL
We enjoy the journey to Paleokastritsa, and the "must do" stop at one of the 2 x Cafe's overlooking, Bella Vista and forgot the other name!!
what a stunning view!!
But on a quad bike? - not sure thats the best mode of transport for that journey, I find Quad's a little unstable compared to a proper bike.
(yes I was an ex biker in my youth and always had a bike and car until about 15 years ago when I realised just how vunerable you are).
Still if you go round the corners slowly - you are ok! and yes it was fun to drive one - had one last year!

So if Richard kept his clothes on  - - - - what were you doing?  ::)
It seems Tom-tom Europe MAps (Sat Nav) won't work here without having Greece as an extra!!

don

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 01:59:24 AM »
We find Noula works perfectly LOL  ???

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »
Well she doe's live in Greece!! LOL (her TOM-TOM is Irenea shouting turn left!!).

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 04:00:14 AM »
Well she doe's live in Greece!! LOL (her TOM-TOM is Irenea shouting turn left!!).
Zimmer, check the routes above 3rd post down from the start.
The coaches usually head for Arillas to SS.

Offline Zimmer

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 09:48:47 AM »
thats excellent - thanks

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile