Author Topic: mozzies  (Read 50843 times)

Patandgra

mozzies
« on: February 21, 2009, 06:18:39 PM »
We are staying at the olga apts in sept, this will be our first stay in San Stefanos. We have stayed in the peraloudes area a couple of times which is not that far from San Stef and are hoping for a similar mozzie free experience.We made the mistake of stopping in Benitses one year and were unprepared for the relentless mozzie assault we endured for two weeks,will somebody tell me what level of mozzie activity they have experienced in San Steph. ???

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: mozzies
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:58:32 PM »
We are staying at the olga apts in sept, this will be our first stay in San Stefanos. We have stayed in the peraloudes area a couple of times which is not that far from San Stef and are hoping for a similar mozzie free experience.We made the mistake of stopping in Benitses one year and were unprepared for the relentless mozzie assault we endured for two weeks,will somebody tell me what level of mozzie activity they have experienced in San Steph. ???

Beleive me you will not have a mozzie free experience. We are always in SS at beginning of September and always have to take the usual precautions with repelent and plug ins. It never spoils our holiday though. It is just part of our holiday we can deal with effortlessly. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 07:28:08 AM »

Beleive me you will not have a mozzie free experience. We are always in SS at beginning of September and always have to take the usual precautions with repelent and plug ins. It never spoils our holiday though. It is just part of our holiday we can deal with effortlessly. :)
I can agree, you shouldn't get too bad a Mozzie experience up at the Olga, but they are usually about.
We take all the usual precautions, and have spent many Septembers in San Stefanos.
We also take anti-histamines for a couple of weeks before we go away, (non-drowsey type) & during our stay there,
we read an article some years ago, it seems that Mozzies, don't like the odour on the skin from it, but if you get a bite it helps.
I get hay-fever so have always taken anti-histamines, which may explain the lack of bites, coupled with anti-mozzie spray,
and room plug-in's.
My wife's mozzie bite experiences have dropped dramatically, since doing the same, although she always cop's a few bites each year.
I think some people are just more attractive to the little beasts. Other articles suggest eating garlic helps as well.
Whatever - in spite of the Mozzies - I have only ever had one bite there since we first went there 26 years ago.
My wife used to get bitten a few times each year, but we have "savvied-up" a bit since the early days and it's really not too bad.
I hope this helps.

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

don

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:51:50 PM »
1)-We use the room plug ins.
2)-A burning candle on the balcony.
3)-Shower with natural lemon shower gel. Allegedly the varmints hate lemon!
4)-Always have Garlic bread or Garlic mushroom starter.
5)-Use after sun with Insect repellant.
6)-Use anti-histamines.
7)-Mosquito repellant wrist bands. Lemon scented

The problem is I still get bit. After putting on all the various gunges and quack potions I get bit on the hands. I really must stop washing them!

PS ..... any further suggestions?

8)=Vitamin B
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:22:44 PM by don »

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »
Marmite keeps them away as well. And before anyone asks (who do I mean) you do not put it on your skin. Just eat as normal. My hubby swears by it but then he does eat it on a regular basis anyway. ;)
The Citronella candles are a good idea to have on your balcony after dusk if you are sitting out. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline sharris

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 06:28:40 PM »
Just a word of warning......if using a spray repellent.

my 2 friends last year decided to spray repellent just before leaving apartment, then proceeded to re-inact the ice skating scene from BAMBI !!!!!!!!   ;D

althugh hilarious to watch, it could have caused injuries !!!!

so do not spray repellent inside as it makes the tiled floor VERY slippery !!!!!!!

i am sticking to my gel !!!!!!

Sarah H

Patandgra

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:03:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice, lemon yes,Garlic yes,even anti histamines but Marmite!! some people will tell you anything to get you to eat the stuff, spreading it on your skin would make more sense as it seems to be repellent to most living things.

don

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 07:10:12 PM »
Thanks for the advice, lemon yes,Garlic yes,even anti histamines but Marmite!! some people will tell you anything to get you to eat the stuff, spreading it on your skin would make more sense as it seems to be repellent to most living things.

Love that take on Marmite... I hope I stop laughing soon!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 07:39:08 PM »
Just a word of warning......if using a spray repellent.

my 2 friends last year decided to spray repellent just before leaving apartment, then proceeded to re-inact the ice skating scene from BAMBI !!!!!!!!   ;D

althugh hilarious to watch, it could have caused injuries !!!!

so do not spray repellent inside as it makes the tiled floor VERY slippery !!!!!!!

i am sticking to my gel !!!!!!

Sarah H

The only time we used a spray repellent the bottle leaked everywhere so now only use Jungle Formula roll on and Jungle Formula plug in.

Offline strogs

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 08:13:58 PM »
Apparently if you take Vitamin B tablets for a few weeks and while on holiday that works.  Marmite is full of Vit B so must have the same effect.  Better if you don't Marmite.

don

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 10:24:41 PM »
6)-Use anti-histamines.
8)-Vitamin B
9)-Jungle Formula
10)-Marmite

The problem is I still get bit. After putting on all the various gunges and quack potions I get bit on the hands. I really must stop washing them!

How many more repellants out there?

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 12:02:31 AM »
6)-Use anti-histamines.
8)-Vitamin B
9)-Jungle Formula
10)-Marmite

How many more repellants out there?

Try to wear long legged pants and not shorts. Also don't wear perfume or after shave as they may be attracted to it.

don

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 02:31:03 AM »
Don't do perfume. Not my scene baby! As for aftershave... Sandra claims I never shave! As for long trousers... why deprive the world of my legs? You have kept on about them long enough! Must be something about them. Good or bad let the world share  :o
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 02:33:17 AM by don »

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 04:13:47 AM »
Don't do perfume. Not my scene baby! As for aftershave... Sandra claims I never shave! As for long trousers... why deprive the world of my legs? You have kept on about them long enough! Must be something about them. Good or bad let the world share  :o
All very interesting, but looking at your dodgy 'Tan' Don, I would say that you definately use Marmite as an instant tan,
the trouble with Marmite is - you either Love or Hate it - so only the Marmite loving Mozzies tend to bit you!!!
Now - does it rub off on the sheets??

It comes down to this - do all of the above - and if you still get bitten - wear a rubber suit from head to foot!! LOL
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline peter

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 10:13:56 PM »
hi folks as well as all the other mozzie protections you should try avons skin so soft ,soft and fresh scent,its in a green bottle it comes in oil or lotion.
also comes in shower gel.
hope this helps.     :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni