Author Topic: Where will you have your 1st meal in 2009?  (Read 167675 times)

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Where will you have your 1st meal in 2009?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 09:07:12 PM »
Sorry,Vangelis sings after several Ouzo's, please provide your own musical accompaniment. I have doubts as to whether he can find his own way home too!!
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 09:27:41 PM »
our first meal will be at manthos and the last one . manthos sp steak cant wait only 99 days now

chris

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2009, 06:06:31 AM »
I forgot about Manthos - many years ago - on our first ever trip in '83, it was the second place we ate in in San Stef.
(first meal was in the Golden Beach, the welcome night for Greek Connection Holidays)
Manthos's Mum cooked and her Stuffed Peppers or Tomatoes were the best I ever tasted.
His meals have always been good. Great Steak and Chicken, home made Tazaki etc.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009, 03:49:04 PM »
god tony thats a name from the past g c hoils we first went with ilios island holidays and stayed with theo and sophi up the hill and you had a choice where to eat think it was 5 lol and it was beer or mataxa to drink and capt nicos and his brother used to drive their white van on to the beach

chris

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 05:44:23 AM »
god tony thats a name from the past g c hoils we first went with ilios island holidays and stayed with theo and sophi up the hill and you had a choice where to eat think it was 5 lol and it was beer or mataxa to drink and capt nicos and his brother used to drive their white van on to the beach

chris
You are a true brother Chris!! Great Memory. Remember Illios well, they used to do very well in those days.
Capt. Nikos Kantina Van - - I remember it well - until the day it broke down and never moved again!!!

Theo was a great character - nice Apartments, he always went the extra mile, and hardly looks any older today - he used to love his old Vespa!!  We hired him one year to take us out for the day on his boat -
and we went around the Islands, ending up on Matraki - this was before they laid the electricity cable by ship,
(we were lucky enough to see it at the time), which started from the side of the Athena Hotel, (Just Weeds and Cane grew there then).
There was just an empty beach, one Taverna above the Harbour, and the lovely church and graveyard.
Do you remember what a charming rouge Manthos could be, in those days, with his binoculars scanning the beach!!
He used to drive my wife mad!!
Tony

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 10:51:18 AM »
yes tony we thought manthos was saying meatballs but it began with a n you are right about theo on our last day we got breakfast before we left no charge of course.and manthos would say pay me later of course you went back the next day to pay and never left was tony still doing his windsurfing on the beach when you first went there ? and im sure sue (beachcomber) and katie (kalima bar ) were reps for ggc or iih god just typing this gets the mind active of those days still the same but more places to park your but

chris

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 06:28:11 PM »
This is great seeing you 2 reminiscing about the olden days lol!! :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

don

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 10:38:11 PM »

You mean when Knights were bold etc. Saving damsels in distress and slaying dragons? On a serious note I must find time to visit Manthos and browse through his old photo albums.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 02:00:44 AM »

You mean when Knights were bold etc. Saving damsels in distress and slaying dragons? On a serious note I must find time to visit Manthos and browse through his old photo albums.
Chris, (& DON),
I found a picture from around 85, of Linda and another girl, (friends we made in SS), and Manthos was clearly (with his arms around each girl), just touching thier boobs, with the top of his index finger as he pretended to hold their waist's. We knew him well by then, so quite funny, and even funnier to look back on - he always got excited at (as he put it), white Boo*ies on the beach.
He was certainly one of the real characters in the old days.
The first year, he tried to get me drunk at lunch time by giving me a huge brandy, after another - by the way - it was called Corfu Brandy - rough as F***!! It had an aftertaste of Ouzo!! Anyway, I managed to only drink about 1 drink (all neat), the rest went into the coffee pot, the geraniums etc.
He thought I was a real drinker and gave up after about a litre of the stuff. Do you remember he had a glass of drink on every table in the evenings as he went around - I think he's had to cut right back these days as he's been quite ill!!

Katie was our rep with Greek conection, and we could never remember where we originally knew Sue from, but we've known her for so long now, I thought it was Illios.
The "pay me tomorrow", was a very clever old trick - but we loved it - where else in the world would you ever get that?
Thats one of the reasons we loved the place. Also done in the Golden Beach Hotel, (Brothers of course), where Dad Costas ran the shop, (Newspapers), and he always made you learn a new Greek word before he would sell you anything!!

We remember the windsurfing well, and Leon as a young child making us all , look silly with his skill.
Years later, Spiros (Gold shop) had the Wetbikes on the beach - remember them? and the Greek nights at Margaritas (mini-market).
They were the days all right!!

And Don!! at your age  - you should'a been there!!

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 09:22:34 PM »
tony yes that brandy.and yes manthos had a drink at every table and yes he has cut down will have a glass of wine late on it the evening.and his hands stlll the same if he knows you you should also look through manthos photos always makes me laugh when you see yourself at his green tin shed

chris

LILOLIL

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2009, 12:46:41 AM »
The yesteryear stories are great reading keep them coming boys!!

don

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2009, 02:20:10 AM »
Can the powers that be set up a "looking back/All our yesterdays" section? Apologies , I just can't help looking back and never fail to buy the historical supplements from our local paper. I get so much enjoyment and knowledge allied to a deep feeling for somewhere 400+ miles from my home town. I am a history junkie!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 03:59:57 AM »
tony yes that brandy.and yes manthos had a drink at every table and yes he has cut down will have a glass of wine late on it the evening.and his hands stlll the same if he knows you you should also look through manthos photos always makes me laugh when you see yourself at his green tin shed

chris
I remember when Manthos first built his first Apartments, he wanted you to do a deal and only eat in his Taverna!!
He couldn't understand why anyone wanted to eat elsewhere!!

I also remember George from Nafsika getting upset if you didn't spend all your money with him as well, and if you did - you were treated royally. (Didn't make him smile though).

The Three Brothers, Manthos, Nikos, and Stefanos (Condor), seemed to be some of the "Big-Cheeses" in the resort.
They are all so different as well. Nikos was/is always genuine, quite and reserved - we know what older brother Manthos was like,
a real character. Stefanos, used to drive a black BMW and was the Fun-Guy of the three, always had that "I'm a naughty boy" grin -
still does I think. I remember there was almost no music in the resort except Greek.
We had bought a "Boom Box" from duty free, to take on holiday, to play our cassette tapes of all the latest music, when we left, they almost broke my arm to buy it, as electrical's in those days were v/expensive in Corfu.
We had impromptu Disco's every night in the Golden Beach as soon as Nikos went home to Avliotes,
(he wasn't a music fan - Stefanos loved it though!!).
We always asked Stef to play music and he always had to fight to play it.
We did this for some years and then one year we found that Stefanos had created Pandora's Music Bar, just down the hill a bit.
This was the fore-runner of the Condor - he realised that the busy end was the place to be in the future.

DO you remember the barman called "Moose", (english guy - moose - -  because he thought he was well hung!!),
loved himself, Linda always said if he was made of chocolate, he would eat himself!!
He tried and failed to make a go of running the Pandora after Stef moved into the Condor.

We first stayed in the little boxy apartments overlooking the old Harbour, below the church, I think they were called Stefanos Apts?
We ate a lot in the Golden Beach Hotel. Stefanos (young then) was a waiter, working with his brother and Father / Mother.
Vangellis (Helena Supermarket - remember that as well), also worked there, young single lad - he tried to chat up our Daughter.
So we always sent her for the drinks, then swapped ours for hers as she always got stronger drinks!!

Do you remember the Enigma Club? - or even earlier - do you remember the original old Disco Club, around where the Oz Bar is!!
Our 16 yr old Daughter used to climb out the window and sneak off to dance all night, thought we didn't know!!
Memories - they go on!!

We went fishing with Vassilas (Mini Market), and he used dynamite to fish - scared us to death that day - he called it Boom-Boom fishing. I often go out for a trip and help him - nets these days thank god!!
And the cops turned a blind eye to this, drink-driving, and many other things!! They were the days all right!!

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2009, 10:55:11 PM »
yes tony i remember the disco went there once with manthos in his old austin 1100 it had a sunken floor if i remember right
and them wanting us to bring over electricals along with decent bottles of spirts and one more thing that has just come to mind was getting your cases from the front of the airport on the trolleys the came of the plane on

and manthos was the only one with live music on party nights the outhers all moaned .talking about the police if you ever saw one one day turns up on his police bike + 3kids spends all day on the beach drink at the taverna then home

they even used dynamite for the trench for the cables across to the islands

yes the place has changed but we still love it.its a good job your are not in san steph the same time as us all we would is look back lol chris

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 12:12:03 AM »
All our Yesterdays comes to mind lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni