Author Topic: New Shops - or Not??  (Read 28068 times)

Offline TheMasterD

• View Profile
Re: New Shops - or Not??
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 12:03:41 AM »
Hi ALL
I checked out the WWH site - Poor old Liz & co.
What a nasty way to treat someone - obviously just to get them out to get a higher rent.
shades of the rachmann scandals!!
I usually like to try new places - but I am not so sure I want to put money in Mr Gladiator's pockets.

I hope they can get a new deal nearby & carry on,
Tony C

I was surprised to see the comments about Dimitris or Mr Gladiator, I met him last year in The Gladiator and found him and his fiancee to be very sociable and a great laugh. I don't know the background to the WWH episode but I suppose business is business wherever you are. I shall certainly be returning sometime this year and going to The Gladiator again.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 02:38:48 AM »
Hi MasterD - (thats not Master Dimitri is it?)

Thanks for you comments, I appreciate your honest opinion and will remember it.
We don't personally know Dimitri & co, (I am sure he is probably a nice guy), but I have been great friends with the rest of his family.
Nikos & his immediate family, also his brother Spiros who was a builder when I first met them in 1983.
Spiros runs Terressa's in Sidari now, and I always stop off to have a drink & a chat with him.
The family are all good friends - they are brilliant and go out of their way to help people, in business or as friends or customers.
I have spent many an enjoyable hour chatting over a drink with Nikos on the beach.
I tend to agree with previous comments, at this stage, that you can't choose your in-laws, but what is the other story?
Capt Nikos for one - would never stoop to this level.

However, my view is that there are certain things you don't do in business or in life itself, if you want to avoid the comeback.
The WWH crew have built up a huge customer base and became friends with most.
Their honesty, customer service and willingness to help people when necessary, won't be forgotten or swept under the carpet.

So whether or not Dimitri is a great bloke or not in a social situation, his business ethics ''seem'' to leave a lot to be desired.
As word spreads, I suspect it will take a lot of time and lost customers, for this to be put behind him.

There are many, many Bars in San Stefanos and Customers can make or break them - remember the Mexican!!

My own opinion is I don't like to see or hear about dirty tactics or bullying, and unless there is something special that this new Bar offers,
I will remember the way he does business and avoid the place.

I appreciate that this is purely my opinion & I really don't wish to influence others - everyone will do their own thing anyway.
Me - right now, I think I'll just give it a miss.
Maybe Dimitri could reply and give us the other side of the story - - maybe I'll change my mind!!
Or does the rubble of evidence speak for itself?
Irrespective - of this issue - I still Love San Stefanos and the people there.
It would also be nice to see the WWH re-appear elsewhere in new premises. They provided a good service.
Tony C
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 02:46:47 AM »
Very well put Tony. It is a shame about WWH and we to hope they set up in another premises within the village. Lets hope they got all there machinery out as well if it belonged to them. :(
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 02:50:11 AM by JULES T »
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline deborahh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 05:07:58 PM »
No-one knows the full facts apart from the two parties involved. It's a shame WWH has closed but I don't know the real reasons and situation. As I said earlier I too found Dimitri to be great company and a decent bloke socially. So to see him desribed (on the WWH site) as evil, was laughable. Hitler, Myra Hindley & Ian Brady were evil, putting the rent up on land/property you own is not evil, might be unethical or wrong, but as I said I do not know the facts.
I would say why not give the guy the benfit of the doubt, go in for a Mythos, have a chat and make your own mind up.

TheMasterD, are you the one that went with Dimitri and Sam (from Aspro Supermarket) to the Thai boxing club they run in SS? If you are I think we met in the Gladiator bar, your were with your Son. I am sure I remember the nickname! We were in SS in Sept 12th for 2 weeks Deborah Paul Lisa and Connor.

Offline TheMasterD

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »
The D does not stand for Dimitri Tonyco1,
it seems that no-one knows both sides of the story but everyone has condemned Mr Gladiator. I would have thought you could have gleaned some information if you are so close to the family Tonyco1? Anyway, I shall speak as I find and I found Dimitris and Andrea to be a fantastic couple and as yet nothing has changed my mind.
All the best and hopefully I will see you in SS later this year, maybe you'll come for a coffee with me in The Gladiator?

Offline TheMasterD

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »
Hi deborahh, thats me! Glad you remember me. If you are back to SS later this year and we bump into each other I'd love to have a Mythos with you and your family, in The Gladiator of course!!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 07:32:36 PM »
Ok if we all agree to disagree for now and see how the land lies on our own personal holidays. Then maybe we will all be able to comment more fairly one way or another. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

don

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 02:59:26 AM »
Had exactly the same split last year over the merits of one particular taverna... One person said "rubbish" rest said "brilliant." Ok, it didn't do beetroot soup but every one is entitled to their own opinion.

BARRAS

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 03:11:20 AM »
The D does not stand for Dimitri Tonyco1,
it seems that no-one knows both sides of the story but everyone has condemned Mr Gladiator. I would have thought you could have gleaned some information if you are so close to the family Tonyco1? Anyway, I shall speak as I find and I found Dimitris and Andrea to be a fantastic couple and as yet nothing has changed my mind.
All the best and hopefully I will see you in SS later this year, maybe you'll come for a coffee with me in The Gladiator?
Hi The MasterD
Everyones opinion is very valid - appreciate all the comments - you need to get both sides or conflicting opinions to make it a worthy debate.
I am a very good friend of Sam as well - known him since he was doing the casablanca resturant with his dad.
We followed his boxing career with interest when he was in the Uk as well and we always go to see the family when in San Stef.

Funnily enough I had a phone call today and was given some interesting info - (not for repeating on the forum - I suspect).
It seems more than one family is involved in the "plot". Of course it's difficult to get to talk to our local friends when not in the village.
When you get involved in a place like San Stef, all the goings-on in the village are quite interesting,
and believe me I have heard a lot and seen a lot over the years!! Mostly they just make you smile as there are a lot of characters about,
and of course you never repeat this stuff in Public!! It's almost like watching the story in a soap develop.
Good guys / bad guys depending on your perspective and usually a pretty woman involved somewhere.

Ok - I like to think I have a fair and open mind and would love to "chew the fat" as they say and find out more - (always been curious!!),
We would love to take up your invite and say hello over a coffee in the Gladiator - as your guest of course!!
We are there first two weeks in July - so hope to meet. Are you there then as well - otherwise it'll have to be by web cam & coffee on your account?
Tony & Linda

Offline TheMasterD

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 12:27:39 AM »
Tony,
The plot thickens with this information from your informant, we now have a possible 'sub-plot'!
I don't know when I shall be in SS this year, I shall try to grab at least a week at some stage, I shall let you know and of course you and Linda will be my guests' for a drink at the Gladiator, if not, then via web-cam, I think my credit is good!!
I shall keep my eye on this site to catch the next episode of the San Stef Soap.
All the best
TheMasterD

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 01:47:10 AM »
Tony,
The plot thickens with this information from your informant, we now have a possible 'sub-plot'!
I don't know when I shall be in SS this year, I shall try to grab at least a week at some stage, I shall let you know and of course you and Linda will be my guests' for a drink at the Gladiator, if not, then via web-cam, I think my credit is good!!
I shall keep my eye on this site to catch the next episode of the San Stef Soap.
All the best
TheMasterD
Where else in the world could you get such great free entertainment?
I suppose the trick is to enjoy it and not get "Too" involved, I am sure I could give you some great backgrounds - such great characters there!!
See you if you make it!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni