Author Topic: New Shops - or Not??  (Read 28066 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
New Shops - or Not??
« on: January 20, 2009, 02:59:13 AM »
Last year we went in May and Stefanos of the Condor Music Bar was completing the building of some new shops - one a Jewellers,
almost dead opposite the Condor.
Can anyone who went late in the season confirm that they were open - & what were they in the end - - - just curious?
Any other new places opening? Who is in the Know??? Also what opened next to Bar 38? if at all - I saw them painting the place!!

Tony C

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline strogs

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: New Shops - or Not??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 11:34:50 AM »
Can anyone who goes early also let us know if they had built anything to replace the Mexican.  There were rumours it was going to be an Italian.  Nice for a change.

Offline fannymarie

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:04:11 PM »
yes , shops were open .

One was a jewellary and the other was leather shoes and rather nice leathee handbags too .

They are lovely shops and very nicley lit up also.

Hope this helps

zoe

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 02:24:30 PM »
 hi we went in october and shops were open great handbags shoes and jewellers zoe

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »
The jewellery /hanbag shop was a bit more up market than the usual and the prices also reflrcted this. To us and other people we spoke to seemed to think that they did not fit in with the way San Stef is.
The place next to Bar 38 is called Gladiator and is an internet cafe. I have read the owner was the landlord to Willys Wash House and he has knocked that down much to Willys owners annoyance. Because of this they may never return to San Stef and will be sorely missed by everyone who used them. >:( :(
Having said all that Gladiator cafe never seemed busy  :D and was closed for a few days on the trot as well when we were there in September.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline deborahh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:26:20 PM »
We went to the Gladiator bar most nights when were were in San Stefanos last Sept, as it was recommended by Leo from Teresa Apts where we stayed (Dimitri the owner is his brother-in-law)
Dimitri and his fiancee were great people and we spent many long sociable evenings there after a meal.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 06:16:31 PM »
The jewellery /hanbag shop was a bit more up market than the usual and the prices also reflrcted this. To us and other people we spoke to seemed to think that they did not fit in with the way San Stef is.
The place next to Bar 38 is called Gladiator and is an internet cafe. I have read the owner was the landlord to Willys Wash House and he has knocked that down much to Willys owners annoyance. Because of this they may never return to San Stef and will be sorely missed by everyone who used them. >:( :(
Having said all that Gladiator cafe never seemed busy  :D and was closed for a few days on the trot as well when we were there in September.
Hi Jules
Can you enlarge on that- has Willy Wash House gone?
I always use them - it helps to cut down on what you pack - if they have gone it will be a great shame.
I think there is another laundry near the (3 w's) WWW's CAfe?
TonyC

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »
Willys has definitely gone. If you look on there website it tells you the reason why. We will miss it as well as they did a great service for visitors to the village. We will have to use the other now as well. Not sure what sort of service they provide - wether they collect ,deliver iron etc.
Here is Willys website link. See Lizs answer

http://willyswashhousesanstefanos.com/page_1208799901562.html
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

zoe

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »
used other laundry in october they did a great job had shirts and chinos ironed as well and they came back great worth every euro zoe

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 07:17:34 PM »
Zoe did they return your items as well or did you have to collect? :)

zoe

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 10:33:05 PM »
hi we collected them but i have a feeling you could have them delivered back to your hotel he was also open till late but we found him very helpfull im very fussy and the trousers and shirts were ironed great it was 7 euros per large bag to wash then per item to iron zoe

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 11:59:02 PM »
Thanks for that Zoe. Sounds like a good service as well. :)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 01:57:37 AM »
Hi ALL
I checked out the WWH site - Poor old Liz & co.
What a nasty way to treat someone - obviously just to get them out to get a higher rent.
shades of the rachmann scandals!!
I usually like to try new places - but I am not so sure I want to put money in Mr Gladiator's pockets.

I hope they can get a new deal nearby & carry on,
Tony C

don

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 02:26:49 AM »
I feel for Jules & Roy who genuinely love Teresas as a place to stay. To find that it is a member of the same family who have done the dirty over Lizzie and co would test my loyalty to the core. As a couple we have not just used WWH but shared good times at EFI Pool with Lizzie & family.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 10:10:52 PM »
I feel for Jules & Roy who genuinely love Teresas as a place to stay. To find that it is a member of the same family who have done the dirty over Lizzie and co would test my loyalty to the core. As a couple we have not just used WWH but shared good times at EFI Pool with Lizzie & family.
Just goes to show you can't pick your in laws. :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni