Author Topic: Stay safe  (Read 8583 times)

Offline hobbes

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Stay safe
« on: July 24, 2023, 12:11:34 PM »
To all our friends in San Stef and the rest of the island, stay safe and we hope you aren't affected by the fires. We are thinking of you!

Offline Scottygirl

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Stay safe
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 12:22:15 PM »
To all our friends in San Stef and the rest of the island, stay safe and we hope you aren't affected by the fires. We are thinking of you!

Thinking of everyone in SS. Stay safe xx

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 12:39:30 PM »
The fires are all in the north-east of the island, around Mount Pantokrator Old Perithia, Kassiopi etc.

Corfu seems far better organised than Rhodes. People were put up in the Theatre in Corfu Town, with ample supplies of water etc. Tourists are now being sent back to their hotels.

You can keep up with the news on the local on-line newspaper:

https://enimerosi.com/en

Offline geordieborn2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 04:46:13 PM »
A lady from the Greek tourism ministry was on the BBC this morning telling everyone there was no problem on Corfu. My concern, apart from the danger to the people already there , was those of us lucky enough to be visiting and the risk of not getting there. Looking at “arrivals” in both Corfu and Rhodes airport there are no cancellations. Hopefully this indicates it is safe for people to travel there and enjoy their holiday.
The public gets what the public wants...

Offline Trevor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 05:05:40 PM »
My Son was scheduled to fly this week to Rhodes with Jet 2.  They have informed him that his holiday is cancelled.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 01:06:14 PM »
I've been quite shocked by some of the comments made in the Agios Stefanos groups on Facebook poo-pooing the idea that there were any problems on Corfu. Although the south and west of the island are fine there is still a serious situation in the north-east. Someone who should know better said the BBC had been "scaremongering" and there were no evacuees. That's simply not true. Loutses has been evacuated and the people are still in hotels. Many roads are closed, and new fires are springing up.

Latest news at the time of writing here: https://enimerosi.com/en/article/79998/Scattered-fires-remain-in-the-northern-and-northeastern-part-of-the-island

Of course everything is fine in the west of the island, but I find the "we're all right and sod everybody else" attitude of some people pretty disgusting. I lived in the north of Zambia in a little hamlet surrounded by savannah and in the rainy season lightning caused vast areas to burn, as it always has. Fire clears the land of unwanted scrubby growth and sterilises it. BUT - it is terrifying. The speed at which it spreads is unimaginable. People from the wetter northern climes simply have no idea about what it means.

Tourism is partly to blame for what is happening in the Mediterranean region at the moment. In times past all the land was managed and cared for. The people moved away to the coastal regions to run hotels and cafes, leaving the land mostly untended. The only longer term solution is to control the land; clear the brushwood and use controlled fires to consume the flammable stuff.

In the meantime utmost care is needed by everyone. The flame-fronts can spread faster than a galloping horse. It only takes one idiot to drop a bottle and leave it in the sun.

Offline geordieborn2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 02:44:32 PM »
I think some of the problem lies with "officials" Tourism minister telling people there is no problem at all, then others saying it's the end of the world (bit soon for that one we hope) and everything will be cancelled. The truth likely lies in between, but I'm sure most sensible people know that, especially those that listen to the UK media. Hopefully the predicted drop in temperatures will help.   
The public gets what the public wants...

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni