Author Topic: Noise Levels.  (Read 13072 times)

Online WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Noise Levels.
« on: July 11, 2022, 05:05:00 PM »
Been reading a few comments on social media, of folks feeling the village is becoming a little more like its neighbour Sidari. Big screen tv,s showing sport channels, in most establishments, 2 in 1 bar alone, live music being heard even at the quiet end of the village, noise levels increasing most nights. There a few places now, where folks can have a quiet drink and chat, and soak up the soothing atmosphere of the village, your thoughts folks ?. 

If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Gouliélmos the Scot

• View Profile
Re: Noise Levels.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 06:35:51 PM »
My thoughts exactly.Just back from two wonderful weeks at Kapetanios.I like seeing the village thriving but there has to be a limit to the number of venues playing very loud music at all hours.What happened to the noise curfew that made venues close sound-proof shutters after midnight?
We first came to San Stef back in 1987.Obviously a lot has changed since then,mostly for the better.But as you say Winkie the level of noise late at night must be quite intrusive for those staying nearby.Even from our balcony we could hear music at quite high levels even after two in the morning.
I fear that the character of the village is changing and becoming more like Sidari.
I hope I am wrong as this place is held dear by so many of us and I would hate to get to the day where I no longer felt like coming back.

Offline geordieborn2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 06:50:31 PM »
Been reading a few comments on social media, of folks feeling the village is becoming a little more like its neighbour Sidari. Big screen tv,s showing sport channels, in most establishments, 2 in 1 bar alone, live music being heard even at the quiet end of the village, noise levels increasing most nights. There a few places now, where folks can have a quiet drink and chat, and soak up the soothing atmosphere of the village, your thoughts folks ?.

We had a gap between 2005 and 2019 and were surprised how little the place had changed. Okay it was bigger and a little more commercial, but actually we would say between our 1st visit 1993 and 2005 it changed more…. Even in 1993 Sidari was our worst nightmare. We were on a package in those days and the bus seemed to stop everywhere… We did not even know the resort we were going to and there were not too many left on the bus when we went through and we both looked at each other and said “not here we hope”. What a relief to pass through, then when we arrived at SS with the moon shining on the sea, lights spread well out and so peaceful… It was like a dream. Personally we would have probably stopped going after year 1, but the kids loved it and we did meet some lovely local people there. Year 2 and both these reasons were even stronger… after that the kids just couldn’t wait to go back…. Many a tear coming home! I certainly don’t think anyone here would begrudge the people there being successful. That success was always going to be our downfall, some of these things come with age and others from fond memories.
The public gets what the public wants...

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 06:52:17 PM »
Blimey, I hope things have quietened down when we go early September. We’ll be staying at the Barras for the first time and I was a bit concerned about the location when we booked! I get very grumpy if my sleep is disturbed.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 07:29:42 PM »
We haven't been for 3 years and we love Condor for the music and dancing. They did however normally close the doors about midnight, so it wasn't too much of a nuisance, to most. I feel midnight should be a cut off point for turning down the music , albeit we wou!d be having a nightcap at Athens, about that time. We like to eat at Nafsika, in the evening as it is quiet so you can talk to each other!

Offline John

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 09:58:26 PM »
I also have fears that things will change and not for the better, the signs were evident on my recent visit.

Online WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 11:15:24 AM »
On a recent visit, there was live music in Athens bar, Bar 38, Condor, Timeout, and the customary Greek nights in Barras, Two Stars, and the occasional dance in LP, all in a little distance from each other. It did feel like there was a volume competition between Silver Star and El Greco on the tv screens LOL. It will not deter us from heading back to the village, but I think the posters on social media, who commented on the issue, are having second thoughts, sadly.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 06:30:56 PM »
It does seem that in high season there is a volume competition between some bars, which when you are not in one of them just becomes a din. I too saw the Facebook post and the poster was staying up the hill to Akrotiri so hardly staying nearby but I guess the noise was travelling up the hill that night.
The main road obviously has a place in many peoples holidays with live music, but it’s horses for courses I guess and a curfew would seem the sensible compromise.
Personally our post dinner drinks are either at Manthos, Kamini, Fantasea or back at the bar at Fedra Mare, or sometimes all of them 😂. Never been disturbed by noise at that end.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 08:05:18 PM »
We're in the village centre at Little Prince and I can't say that the noise level is very high late at night. Most bars have TVs on but the sound off. The music hasn't been unusually loud. But if that changes I'll let you know!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 10:28:57 AM »
There was a small band at Bar38 last night. When we went to bed around 11:15 I could just hear the guitar. When I got up for a pee at 1am the village was totally silent. All I could hear was the sea.

Offline Evertonendo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 10:40:18 PM »
After 2 years of not being allowed to sing and dance for fear of the Greek police arriving surely its a relief to have some live music and fun.
We go again in August and I cant wait for the fun and noise and live music and dancing ( and thats just in my apartment haha  ;D
Live and let live, you only live once, enjoy your life while you can xxx

Offline geordieborn2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 01:19:51 AM »
You are right of course, but other people also only live once and they may not like the same as us… Just being considerate to others cost little or nothing.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 08:50:55 AM »
After a week here I can safely say that noise is not a problem. The latest I could hear any music was 00:20 and then silence.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2022, 12:16:40 AM »
It is after 11pm in a quiet hillside village known as Avlioites - just a few kms from the resort area.  We are sat outside on our patio/balcony area as a festival  here  is in full swing.  The magical Greek music wafting across the village and valley for those  not in the main festival  area to enjoy as us too from our garden,  There is a bouzouki band, a lady singer and you can almost hear the laughter and joy of the locals as after 2 Covid years they get to enjoy a local festival..  I doubt it will finish before at least 01.30 in the morning maybe later - it is all part of village life....

Offline geordieborn2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2022, 01:07:41 AM »
It is after 11pm in a quiet hillside village known as Avlioites - just a few kms from the resort area.  We are sat outside on our patio/balcony area as a festival  here  is in full swing.  The magical Greek music wafting across the village and valley for those  not in the main festival  area to enjoy as us too from our garden,  There is a bouzouki band, a lady singer and you can almost hear the laughter and joy of the locals as after 2 Covid years they get to enjoy a local festival..  I doubt it will finish before at least 01.30 in the morning maybe later - it is all part of village life....

Magical is a good word for it Lesley it's Greece.... :D

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni