Author Topic: San Stef thriller  (Read 47957 times)

Offline Gill C

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: San Stef thriller
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2022, 08:00:58 PM »
On my kindle ready for July

Offline Paul and Ruth

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2022, 01:25:06 PM »
Hi Jimbo. I've just read the sample of your book on kindle. I wanted to see if it flows. Jimbo, it's flows. So easy to picture san stefanos through Almonds eyes. I'm now going to purchase the book. Looking forward to relaxing by the pool at silvermoon with the book. Not sure about a kiss if I see you. 🤔

Offline John

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2022, 02:38:56 PM »
Hi Jimbo,
I also downloaded a sample of your book on kindle. It may flow but I question the need to use such language from someone who is such a eloquent writer on this forum.
I will still download the book.  Don’t wish to offend but I’m only being truthful.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2022, 02:50:54 PM »
John, I understand. But it's a first-person novel by an ex-CID copper in north London. It's not me telling the story - it's Johnny. I spent quite a lot of time with the police when I was writing for The Bill, and their language was a lot stronger than this!

I can put a health warning on Amazon if you think it's a good idea.

Offline John

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2022, 03:02:46 PM »
Nice one Jimbo,

My wife has just read most of the sample and she suggests that I should have the health warning and that I should be more tolerant.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2022, 03:28:13 PM »
I like your wife!

The preview option does allow people to decide, doesn't it? I was brought up in a very religious household. My father was a preacher, so absolutely no swearing. But that is not like the modern world. Swearing is a stress marker in speech, and it is very general, and always has been. There's swearing in Chaucer and Shakespeare, but the words are different. It was a constant moan amongst writers on The Bill that the language was not realistic - or the instruction that tired coppers should never "accidentally" hit some toe-rag's head on a car door. The language in EastEnders is very unrealistic. But those are prime time TV - a novel is not.

Two characters in the novel swear. Plenty of others don't. I think that's pretty true to life, really. I've tried to have Johnny describe the village as it is. I hope you will see through the odd casual F word to the affection I have for the place and its people.

I started writing book two last night. If - as my father would have said - the Good Lord spares me, bearing in mind that I'm 80 in September, it will be out in the summer.

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2022, 07:48:51 PM »
I have ordered my copy of the paperback which should arrive tomorrow  ;D Now I have a dilemma - whether to begin reading or whether to wait until my holiday?  Decisions decisions  ;D

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2022, 08:31:53 PM »
Mrs Winkie has it on Kindle, bedtime reading  :).
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2022, 03:38:06 PM »
Hi all - I'm pleased to say that sales in the first four days have been very good. In fact better than the total sales for my science fiction novellas!

What's interesting is that Kindle sales are more than three times the paperback sales. It's also enrolled for Kindle Unlimited and quite a few are reading it on there. I must say that all surprises me.

I wish I could make the paperback cheaper, but Amazon imposes a minimum price. I may make the print format a bit smaller for book two to reduce the page count. I would have done it for this for book one, but I showed proof copies to several people who liked the easy to read format for older eyes - both layout and font. I'd really appreciate feedback from those who read the paperback before releasing book two, but that won't be until mid-summer unless a magic age-rejuvenation pill comes along!

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2022, 05:52:26 PM »
My copy has just arrived - I don't think I will be waiting for my holiday to begin reading  :D

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2022, 05:57:51 PM »
Jim just to say on the link you shared and I shared it says paperback sold out and to pre order if you wish to check with them?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2022, 06:14:13 PM »
I think that's what happens if you log on from Greece. It's printed on demand, so never out of stock. UK sight shows it as available.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2022, 11:20:23 PM »
ok xxxx

Offline carl nottingham

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2022, 07:30:43 PM »
So i purchased your book for the mrs on her kindle she was going to read it when we arrived at nafsika in May  but couldn't wait she's enjoying it at this time i don't know if you remember us but we was the only people round the pool last September which was very nice hope your sale well she's now waiting for the next one and i can watch football in peace

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2022, 08:51:54 PM »
Of course I remember you! I was quite ill with bronchitis, so not as lively as usual. It was quiet at Nafsika, but lovely by the pool as always.

I'm glad your mrs is enjoying it. If she likes it, please persuade her to drop a little review onto Amazon. It makes a huge difference. What's her name again? I'll make sure she gets a mention in book two!!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni