Author Topic: San Stef thriller  (Read 48043 times)

Offline Kirky

• View Profile
Re: San Stef thriller
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2022, 01:54:24 PM »
Just ordered for my Kindle. Can't wait to start reading tonight.    :D

Offline carl nottingham

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2022, 02:26:58 PM »
Yes she will definitely write a review once she's finished it and her name is Julie look forward to book number two

Offline Charlie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2022, 10:50:25 PM »
Best of luck with the book Jimbo, long time no speak.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2022, 12:03:02 AM »
Thanks, Charlie. How are you doing?

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2022, 02:04:00 AM »
Best of luck with the book Jimbo, long time no speak.

How are you Charlie?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2022, 03:36:08 PM »
Mighty and mysterious are the ways of Amazon! They dictated the book pricing for the paperback - which was £8:90. There was nothing I could do about it. I would prefer it to be cheaper, although I only get about £1:20 royalty at the full amount.

This morning I see it's now listed at £7:71 or £7:48. I'd be very interested to see if you get the same result! Don't use my link: put "Amazon Jim Hawkins Almond and the deep blue sea" into the URL bar.

I know that several people have sent reviews in, some five days ago, but none have appeared. Reviews and plenty of stars are very important. Kindle sales are still about 3:1, so I can see why some authors choose Kindle-only as an option.

Meanwhile - Almond:2 is underway. 

Offline geordieborn2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2022, 04:35:08 PM »
Ah the idiosyncrasies of Amazon, £7.48 here. But this is an issue I've long found interesting as I can look at something on my account whilst looking at the same on a device next to me under another account and the price is different. I'm talking items of say £10-20 being 12-18 on the other... At first I thought this was an currency exchange issue e.g. they work in $ and convert, but this looks more like a profiling/ data collection issue?
The public gets what the public wants...

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2022, 04:38:11 PM »
Thanks! Yes - it's profiling - but they didn't ask me, or even tell me. I mean, I'm just the writer.

Offline geordieborn2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2022, 06:13:48 PM »
What we really need to know is how to setup your profile to get things cheaper ;D !
The public gets what the public wants...

Offline David A

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2022, 02:56:57 PM »
I'm about 2/3 of the way through it and really enjoying it - (no spoilers) but it looks like Jimbo's take on Sidari is exactly the same as mine!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2022, 04:00:29 PM »
Thanks, David. I've tried to describe things as accurately as I can from the point of view of Johnny Almond, who is seeing it all for the first time. I spent a week in Sidari with my son when he was sixteen. We couldn't find a decent Greek taverna. We did have some good curry, though, so I'll try to get that into the second book!

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2022, 09:52:45 PM »
Actually I fell in love with Corfu (and in love) on my visit (1981) to this rock in Sidari which then was a sleepy resort, a few hippies, sandy beaches and - oh yes found my hubby to be..  A moped hair- riding ride took you over to Manthos in Ag Stef on a Saturday night for a real Greek night but you had to book - else no tables were available, a sandy road between the resorts took ages to get there .....
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 10:49:00 AM by Lesley »

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2022, 01:55:21 AM »
Sidari was a dead quiet little village when we visited there in 1989. Really quaint with traditional taverna's and a few bars. Lovely.

Drove through it on the way to San Stef in 2004 and there was a Mcdonalds (if memory serves), a one-way system and hordes of bars and eateries. How things change.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2022, 02:47:01 AM »
If you want to know how I described it - which you may not - get the book. The Kindle version costs about the same as a pint of beer, and you can read it on phones, tablets, laptops and, of course, Kindles.

What I actually think about Sidari is that it's a rather sad place. It does not have the village feel of Agios Stefanos. It's spread out over a large area and looks like a cheap package-tour operation. It's central street is lively in a commercial way, but lacks a sense of a real place. I would never stay there again.

I suspect whoever is in charge of releasing reviews on Amazon likes Sidari. I get emails from people who posted a review a week ago and it's still not there. Maybe they're all awful - at this rate we'll never know. I set out to write another novel before I was eighty or dead and I did it. Now I want to write two, so I'm 6,000 words into the sequel. I just hope people will enjoy it.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2022, 01:18:21 PM »
Well Jimbo I've downloaded it and will read it by the pool in Majorca in June. I think a book about Corfu would be best read in the summer while in San Stef but we're not going this year as we have a number of postponed trips in the diary already from last year, so Majorca it is.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni