Author Topic: Tell us about "Sunny Bay" Hotel?  (Read 7255 times)

Offline hobbes

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Tell us about "Sunny Bay" Hotel?
« on: August 18, 2021, 05:16:01 PM »
We have recently found 2 separate youtube vids about "an abandoned hotel in San Stef" and when we watched it, it is definitely our San Stef not the other one Where is it-is this opposite Aspas where all the moggies get fed? When was it open ? We don't remember it was open at all!

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Tell us about "Sunny Bay" Hotel?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 05:39:21 PM »
Our first visit to San Stef was in 2005 and I think it was open the season before. That maybe just my memory playing tricks mind.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 05:56:29 PM »
We stay at Silver Moon and could see this hotel out the back of us. We first went in 2004, I can't remember it then, but maybe the next year..it is quite eerie..

Offline The two Peas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 06:55:30 PM »
I think the Hotel Sunny Bay went bankrupt in 2006 or early 2007, I believe it was a German run hotel but I may be wrong on that.When it went bust the hotel was left with almost everything in place.

Offline hobbes

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 06:57:18 PM »
I thought it was your hotel we could see when they went up onto the roof-TBH, until they did show the view from the roof we weren't convinced it WAS our San Stef! It looked a very fancy place. The woman who uploaded a video of it this week says that rumour is the rest of the hotels/restaurants in San Stef hounded them out as it was all-inclusive!  I don't believe that as I think everyone in SS happily co-exists!

Offline The two Peas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 07:17:44 PM »
It was left like the Marie Celeste, a running joke in the village was if you need a bed get one from the hotel the bar was left with lots of bottles of beer in the cellar TV on wall and a pinball machine it was like everyone left in a hurry.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 01:21:45 AM »
It was left like the Marie Celeste, a running joke in the village was if you need a bed get one from the hotel the bar was left with lots of bottles of beer in the cellar TV on wall and a pinball machine it was like everyone left in a hurry.

Yep we heard that everything was left when it was abandoned. For years you could see the shutters on the windows blowing in the wind.

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 02:11:19 AM »
Yep we heard that everything was left when it was abandoned. For years you could see the shutters on the windows blowing in the wind.

The wind has got up tonight and I can confirm some of the shutters are still swinging and banging in the wind.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 03:40:11 AM »
The wind has got up tonight and I can confirm some of the shutters are still swinging and banging in the wind.
;D

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 09:44:14 AM »
When I worked for a tour operator we used this hotel and it was then called Corfu Asteria that was in 2002.  However our UK guests didn't often like it and asked to move as the rooms were very small and quite dark plus the menus were geared mostly to the majority staying there with a German tour operator. We stopped using the hotel for this reason during that season Summer 2002.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 11:00:39 AM »
Thanks Lesley, that's interesting.

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 12:08:35 PM »
When we first came to SS (about 7 or 8 yrs ago) we walked up the driveway to this hotel and had a nose around. Access was still OK although weeds were rapidly taking over the drive. There had obviously been people squatting in the building, loads of sleeping bags, empty cans etc around. We didn't touch anything and did not enter the building as the floor looked unsafe. Yes, it was just like the Marie Celeste, very weird. A few years later we saw that security gates had been put up, and the trees has grown so much the hotel was not visible. I think this was discussed on the forum a while back?

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 07:47:30 PM »
Interesting Barbara..as I said, we could still see it from the back of Silver Moon, but that was 2 years ago, maybe it is more overgrown now!

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 08:19:16 PM »
It always seemed a strange addition to a place like San Stef though I have no idea when it was built and opened.

Offline hobbes

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 04:49:41 PM »
The weird thing is that one of the videos has only been put on Youtube in the last week or so-I know that that is no guarantee that it wasn't filmed years ago but we assumed it was recent!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni