Author Topic: Scop's Owl  (Read 11431 times)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Scop's Owl
« on: March 26, 2021, 09:56:12 PM »
ln the early hours of the night/morning I was awoken to the cry of the Scops Owl. I had a little chuckle rolled over and went back to sleep perhaps it was around 03.00 hours.
Why the post and why the chuckle well as many know I work as a receptionist in one of the apartment blocks in Agios Stefanos.
This particular morning when I arrived around 09.15 ish! A gentleman was sat outside waving his arms and being very vocal. Actually quite hostile and rude in fairness but hay all in a days work!
This perhaps was 10 years ago but every time come Spring I hear the owls I smile and recall the conversation which went.
Him: Did you hear that noise last night?
Me: politely - sorry no but I live in the neighbouring village approx 6kms away.  What was the noise?
He: All night long a fire alarm was going off I demand to change rooms.
Me: Let me come over with the maintenance man maybe it is the battery in your room maybe the fire alarm.

So we went to room, no problem with alarm so the plot thickens. Couldn't change rooms as always we are full, thus explained. Man not happy......

As the course of the day went on I wandered around the pool. There were as always many guests whom have stayed and return for many years some every year for more than 20 years so I politely asked :Did anyone have any noise issues in the early hours with fire alarms or other noises? No one could shed any light on the issue until one guest said Oh Lesley that would be 'our' Scops Owl.  We went inside and put a search on You Tube and yes this could be the noise the said Gentleman was angry with.

I found the man and asked him to listen to the video - Yes he said that's it.  I explained and he said well you better shoot it tonight as I will be complaining to my Tour Operator. Of course once again I explained and said I was not in a position to and I couldn't shoot it.
Man departed huffing, puffing and clearly not satisfied with me!
He did complain to his rep not sure what she said but we did get a complaint letter which I answered with the link on You Tube.
So I didn't know whether to post this on the Joke thread or just to warn you we have Scops Owls here in resort and love them......

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Scop's Owl
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 11:27:16 PM »
Love to hear the Scops Owls, don't get them in UK. Extra special when you hear them at The Night Owl in Afionas.

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 12:15:20 PM »
I too, love the sound it makes, it is a haunting call, and echoes all around the village at night. Lovely funny story Lesley lol, any more funnies to share on here ?.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 02:42:41 PM »
I hope that man never stays in the wonderful block three at Tsaros. There's a cockerel that heralds the dawn at disco volume levels.

Still, the views are great, and the chickens look really happy!

I remember my first ever trip to Greece, to Lindos on Rhodes. At six in the morning I nearly jumped out of bed at an awful, very loud noise that sounded like it was in the room. I looked out of the window and there was a donkey, braying cheerfully to greet the dawn. So I went out onto the patio, and saw what I have loved ever since - the glory of a Greek sunrise. There's nothing quite like having a cup of tea outside in the cool of the early morning!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 02:58:14 PM »
Great story Lesley,you couldn't make it up could you? I wonder if he ever visited again or did it out him off for life, I hope so.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 04:19:15 PM »
Nope never seen him since - probably in Goa complaining there is only curry on the menu - had that whilst working over there for 6 months!  Oh and of course why are the cows allowed to roam freely. Do you know when you read the posts shared on forums about complaints I can so identify.  So I will tell you another quick story.....Just to brighten our days.....

Telephone call from the UK T.Op I worked as Area Manager for.

Lesley we need you to drive to Parga? - I was based in Lefkada at this time.
Why say's I, now this is pre the tunnel from Lefkada Preveza to Parga so at least a 3 hour journey each way. You had to drive back then on a Roll off Roll small ferry when even they were there!
Well we have a complaint that the sand there is not suitable to build sandcastles and we sell this hotel as sandy beach ideal for families with children.
What says I!!!
So off goes me  with a test tube type of thingee and plastic cup.  Onto the beach and I collect a sand sample.
DHL or something similar from Lefkas P.O. back to UK.

So now you know some of those complaints are really true.

Happy Weekend and as many say - yep I could write a book - maybe one day!!!!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 04:23:32 PM by Lesley »

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 06:21:10 PM »
Lesley this made us laugh.  It reminded us of when we first heard the scops owl and we thought it was an alarm going off.  We didn't complain though  ;D

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 07:25:11 PM »
and you keep coming back - looking forward to seeing you both again very soon x

Offline ybroc1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 09:40:31 PM »
One year at the Romanza there was a complaint that the sun shone into their room 🙆‍♂️🙆‍♂️

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 01:01:15 AM »
Like everyone else on this forum - we will be back as soon as we possibly can  ;D
Also we will definitely not complain if the sun shines in our room  ;D

Offline Evertonendo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 11:24:40 AM »
How about the chirping frogs in the stream next to the Thomas Bay? We’ve had many a sleepless night   ;D ;D ;D

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 03:45:01 AM »
Can't believe how noisy those frogs are  ;D ;D

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni