Author Topic: Passports  (Read 8990 times)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Passports
« on: October 15, 2020, 10:13:49 AM »
I received a link that UK Passports may expire earlier than shown on your actual Passport from 01/01/2021 - so checked mine - yep I have lost 6 months validity.  Check yours too - no idea in the reasoning behind this?  All to do I am advised due to Brexit but why no idea? You can check your's too on the Gov.uk website.......
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 10:52:21 AM by Lesley »

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Passports
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 11:38:02 AM »
Hi Lesley, my passport is up for renewal on 3rd Jan (not that I think I'll be using it in the near future) and I have been wondering when to apply, having read all sorts of horror stories about delays. Yesterday I was talking to a very friendly helpful lady at the DWP, so I asked her if she knew anything about this. She advised me to apply one month earlier than I would have done normally.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 11:48:33 AM »
Most countries require a passport to have at least six months validity, so a passport with less than that is essentially worthless. So it makes sense to protect against future problems by requiring it to be renewed in good time. So effectively a ten year passport is actually a 9.5 year passport.

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 06:17:03 PM »
Well, we only travel abroad once or twice a year. Our next trip in April 2021 may well not be going ahead if the present situation continues, so I'd prefer to leave it as late as possible as I don't want to pay for months that I will not be needing!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 07:45:14 PM »
But if you don't get it at least six months before you travel, you won't be travelling anyway!

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 08:54:35 PM »
Jimbo, I understand that it has to have 6 months REMAINING on it at the time of travel.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 09:11:15 PM »
True. So it must be renewed earlier than six months before. If you don't, it's still a valid UK passport, but unlikely to be accepted by destinations.

A passport last for 10 years, so if you lose six months it costs you £3.75. Is that a major issue?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:17:00 PM by Jimbo »

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 02:36:33 PM »
I see what you’re saying Jimbo. However in my case, we should have been going to Spain in September 2020 (cancelled). When we booked I checked and Spain was one of the countries that didn’t insist on six months remaining on the passport. As long as it was valid for the duration of the holiday that was fine. I do realise that if planning a trip abroad in September 2031 I may have to apply early, depending on where we go!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 04:33:23 PM »
I wish I thought I'd be around in 2031 to join you for a drink!

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 10:10:41 PM »
And I’m sure you will be!

Offline Boilerman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 05:54:38 PM »
Just renewed my wife's passport that was expiring in January. Did it online and got the new blue passport back in exactly one week.

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 06:28:58 PM »
Thanks Boilerman - that's reassuring.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni