Author Topic: So how many of us are actually going (hopefully)  (Read 180412 times)

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: So how many of us are actually going (hopefully)
« Reply #420 on: May 17, 2021, 11:37:54 AM »
Over the weekend along with other Greek destinations, charters have started to arrive.  In Corfu we had flights on both Saturday & Sunday from Paris, Dusseldorf, Brussels and Zurich.  Today Monday 17th there are 2 flights on route due in within the next hour from Gatwick & Manchester.

That’s fantastic news Lesley. Let’s hope the village fills up quickly and that Corfu goes on the next green list.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 17, 2021, 11:53:05 AM »
Just seen the LGW fly over on route towards airport - It's a lovely mild day with a clear blue sky to welcome them.......

Offline hobbes

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 17, 2021, 03:03:36 PM »
Hopefully we will start to see people on the beach then-is Vicky open yet Lesley? And now I know you look for the planes flying over we will remember to wave when we fly in! ;D

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 17, 2021, 03:29:43 PM »
Yes - I watched the TUI flights from Gatwick and Manchester arrive within minutes of each other! They left just after 6 this morning and arrived ten minutes early.

Both had very unusual landing patterns: The Gatwick plane crossed southwards somewhere between Sidari and Roda, flew down the spine of the island, passing the airport on its left, then eastwards and back north over the channel between Corfu and Albania on its downwind leg - south-easterly at 10 knots today - then turned 180 degrees and landed on runway 16 from the north. The Manchester plane flew down Ionian to the west of Agios Stefanos, crossed eastwards literally straight across the airport at 3,000 feet, turned left to the north and landed as the Gatwick plane did.

That's slightly puzzling, because there was no other traffic, and no reason I could see for not doing a straight-in landing from the north. Maybe ATC were practising approaches - they've had nothing apart from flights from Athens and Preveza for six months! Still - great sight-seeing for the passengers.

The landing from the north is classified as moderately difficult because of the hill just before the runway. The normal glide-slope is 3o - the angle the plane descends to the touchdown zone on the runway. The approach from the north on runway 16 is a 3.5o descent - i.e. steeper. Runway 16 also has a deferred touch-down - the thick strips indicating exactly where to land are further from the threshold of the runway, meaning there's less room to land. So they really have to stick the wheels on the target, or they'll have to do an exciting go-around. Fun!

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 17, 2021, 05:50:08 PM »
Yes seen some MAN flight arrivals - they were more than happy with their arrival  & lovely to see some new faces but those we know over in resort....... It has been a sunny day with a bit of a breeze but around 23c....... Happy Monday All x

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 17, 2021, 07:05:03 PM »
Great to see return of the visitors 8)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 18, 2021, 12:10:37 PM »
The 1st Cruise Liner arrived today, Tuesday 18/05 at the Corfu Port - just watched on Greek News.  I expect Paleocastritsa will be busy later......Oh and the ATM between Tasty Corner and El Greco is up and running for the Summer (the little thngs in my life) !! Happy Tuesday All x
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:33:16 PM by Lesley »

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 18, 2021, 03:07:53 PM »
B.A from LHR on route due to touch down around 15.00 hours will keep a look out up there..........

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 19, 2021, 11:52:40 AM »
Prices dropped dramatically on TUI site!

Offline Glenn1

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 19, 2021, 12:09:07 PM »
Hi everyone, four of us have booked to go to the Jasmine in mid-July, and we have made the decision to still go if possible and even if it is still Amber we have all had both our jabs and feel the risk is minimal.
We actually all went last year as well when we had the travel corridors and it was one of the best holidays I have had in San Stef it was very peaceful with a few bars and restaurants open in fact we felt safer in San Stef than in the UK at the time, we all followed the rules and the Jasmine staff were amazing and I can see no difference this year.
If we end up not going for whatever reason I will not holiday in the UK due to the blatant profiteering from the UK hospitality sector and don't see the point of spending a fortune to spend a week or two in probably rubbish weather, and being ripped off for food and drink.
Anyway, hopefully, we will be sunning ourselves in the beautiful San Stef in mid-July.   

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 19, 2021, 01:12:43 PM »
Enjoy Glenn!

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 19, 2021, 01:47:57 PM »
Absolutely agree Glenn1, after much deliberation we also got away last August to Romanza and enjoyed the atmosphere and felt very safe. This year we have 2 weeks booked from the end of July at Fedra Mare and will be able to travel even if still amber as we will also be double jabbed, I work from home and my wife will be off work upon return (teaching asst) so can self isolate if they are still the rules then.
That said we will make the decision nearer the time based on what is happening here and there and assuming our flights still operate. Hopefully the position will be clearer by then and fingers crossed it will be green. Looking forward to making more memories.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 19, 2021, 01:51:06 PM »
Good luck and enjoy BAJ!

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 20, 2021, 01:48:57 PM »
As far as we know our holiday is still on from 11th.June

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 20, 2021, 02:25:29 PM »
Probably. TUI flights from Doncaster start on June 7th.

Personally, we won't go in September if it's orange. I think the insurance implications are too challenging.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni