Author Topic: So how many of us are actually going (hopefully)  (Read 180417 times)

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
Re: So how many of us are actually going (hopefully)
« Reply #375 on: April 06, 2021, 11:54:30 AM »
I hope we can get next year Winkie. I know it won't bother many, but it's the potential of testing  both ways, restrictions etc that puts me off and John's health to take into account.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 06, 2021, 02:51:26 PM »
The hints are no testing, or just lateral flow, and no quarantine for those who have been vaccinated. Fine by me!

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 06, 2021, 03:29:12 PM »
The hints are no testing, or just lateral flow, and no quarantine for those who have been vaccinated. Fine by me!

Let's hope so :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 09, 2021, 01:38:56 AM »
Vaccinations are picking up on Corfu. At the current or expanded rate it should see high coverage by July, or possibly before.

The Greek tourism minister said yesterday that the plans are to allow those vaccinated in without tests, or unvaccinated following a negative PCR test. Although lateral-flow tests may be used, PCR follow-up will be fast for positive cases.

Generally good news, I think.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 09, 2021, 02:36:04 AM »
Vaccinations are picking up on Corfu. At the current or expanded rate it should see high coverage by July, or possibly before.

The Greek tourism minister said yesterday that the plans are to allow those vaccinated in without tests, or unvaccinated following a negative PCR test. Although lateral-flow tests may be used, PCR follow-up will be fast for positive cases.

Generally good news, I think.

It is good news Jim :) I wonder what the proof of vaccination requirement will be..

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 09, 2021, 10:13:55 AM »
Followed swiftly by the UK government hinting that a lot of PCR testing may be required. Looking today, tests cost between £70 and £135. TUI is offering a  £70 service for people with bookings.
Various airports are offering testing facilities.

However, if one outgoing and two returning tests are needed, even with TUI that's £210 per person. That's likely to stop a lot of travel in its tracks, methinks.

But if a lateral flow test before departure and one PCR on return is needed, that's a lot cheaper.

There is no distinction in the outlined plans between those vaccinated and those not vaccinated. That surprises me.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:33:52 AM by Jimbo »

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 09, 2021, 10:52:23 AM »
Grant Schapps on BBC news, says they need to drive down the cost of the PCR test, for travellers..

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 09, 2021, 11:36:00 AM »
So everyone will need a pre travel test, before travelling home (type of test not known yet) and a PCR test, on return, even if returning from a green country, average cost, £120...

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 09, 2021, 12:08:33 PM »
There's not mention of test before returning - just a PCR test after arriving back, or two if returning from an amber zone. Nobody sane would go to a red zone!

Ideally, regions would be separately coded. At the current levels, Corfu would probably be amber and Attica red. But by (say) July Corfu will probably be green. However, there are three flights a day to Athens or Thessaloniki, so how do you stop people flying to Corfu and then staging on to Athens and back? Indirect flights have been a problem with the UK's current border controls.

I think that the rules for outgoing passengers should be dictated by the airline and/or the host country. I would like to know that people on my flight have been vaccinated or tested.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 09, 2021, 12:50:48 PM »
Grant Schapps was suggesting a test before returning from holiday, a lateral flow test, which we can now get free and take with us.

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 09, 2021, 12:57:11 PM »
There's not mention of test before returning - just a PCR test after arriving back, or two if returning from an amber zone. Nobody sane would go to a red zone!

Ideally, regions would be separately coded. At the current levels, Corfu would probably be amber and Attica red. But by (say) July Corfu will probably be green. However, there are three flights a day to Athens or Thessaloniki, so how do you stop people flying to Corfu and then staging on to Athens and back? Indirect flights have been a problem with the UK's current border controls.

I think that the rules for outgoing passengers should be dictated by the airline and/or the host country. I would like to know that people on my flight have been vaccinated or tested.

Why? You’ve had the vaccine to protect yourself, you are now protected. There will always be an element of risk and there will always be the chance that you may be sat next to somebody who hasn’t been vaccinated for medical reasons. That shouldn’t be your concern.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 09, 2021, 02:54:38 PM »
If they haven't been vaccinated they should have been tested, I think. That gives me, at least, a safer feeling. I don't know what others think. After all, vaccination doesn't give 100% protection against catching or spreading the virus, although it does give 100% protection against serious illness or death. Airlines could certainly demand it, for the sake of their cabin crew.

Surely, the probability of other passengers being protected is definitely my concern.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 09, 2021, 03:12:36 PM »
As an addendum - it would make sense if people who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons could have a free NHS test.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 09, 2021, 03:47:25 PM »
Why? You’ve had the vaccine to protect yourself, you are now protected. There will always be an element of risk and there will always be the chance that you may be sat next to somebody who hasn’t been vaccinated for medical reasons. That shouldn’t be your concern.

As Jim said, it is a concern.  We can still catch the virus, after vaccination and can become ill, or be asymptomatic and pass the virus on to others , who may not have had the jab.. We are protecting ourselves and others, we may come into contact with..

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 09, 2021, 03:48:28 PM »
As an addendum - it would make sense if people who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons could have a free NHS test.

Yes.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni