Author Topic: So how many of us are actually going (hopefully)  (Read 180418 times)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: So how many of us are actually going (hopefully)
« Reply #360 on: March 23, 2021, 05:20:50 PM »
The Greek TV reports the 1st Israeli tourists are to arrive today obviously via Athens - so looks like Greece is expecting to open.  Everything now depends on each Governments criteria re travelling....... Kathimerini news today....... Oh yes and Charles & Camilla arrive tomorrow - believe the agenda is sit down meal for those around the world invited on the evening 24th  followed by 25th March large Parade, to mark 25th March but especially this year being 200 years of Independence. Parade in Athens, Military Parade fly by's etc.  We are invited to enjoy whilst at home by Livestream TV.  Can only think it must be Essential Travel!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 06:21:36 PM by Lesley »

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 24, 2021, 07:41:21 PM »
Wonder what the protocol is for other European countries e.g. France, Germany, Poland, where covid rates are high,are they going to allow their citizens toy travel abroad this year?

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 25, 2021, 11:20:25 AM »
Germany are considering no travel - however the first holidaymakers arrived into Mallorca a few days ago. It's another wait and see.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 25, 2021, 03:42:34 PM »
It will be interesting to see the Spanish figures in a couple of weeks or so.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 03, 2021, 01:44:40 AM »
I must say that it's not looking very good for this summer. Greece is now at the highest infection rate it has been, and rising - currently 193 per 100,000. Reuters states that 8.1% of the population have been vaccinated. The vaccination rate is about 25,500 per day. Obviously, these numbers are heavily weighted by the high levels in the Athens-Thessaloniki region, and probably unfairly reflect on the Ionian Islands.

But, in that overall context, given that rates in Continental Europe are worsening, it seems to me unlikely that the UK government will want to open up much before September, if then. Only my opinion, of course, but I think the numbers speak for themselves. The pandemic was spread by air travel, and hence it's not easy to justify opening it up too soon.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 02:32:00 AM by Jimbo »

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 03, 2021, 02:03:32 AM »
I must say that it's not looking very good for this summer. Greece is now at the highest infection rate it has been, and rising - currently 193 per 100,000. Reuters states that 8.1% of the population have been vaccinated. The vaccination rate is about 25,500 per day. Obviously, these numbers are heavily weighted by the high levels in the Athens-Thessaloniki region, and probably unfairly reflect on the Ionian Islands.

But, in that overall context, given that rates in Continental Europe of worsening, it seems to me unlikely that the UK government will want to open up much before September, if then. Only my opinion, of course, but I think the numbers speak for themselves. The pandemic was spread by air travel, and hence it's not easy to justify opening it up too soon.

Totally agree Jim

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 03, 2021, 11:09:46 AM »
But then the Telegraph has this this morning (Saturday 03/04/2021):

"Foreign holidays for vaccinated" is the headline in the Daily Telegraph, which looks ahead to Boris Johnson's travel announcement on Monday.

The paper understands that people who have been fully vaccinated against coronavirus could require fewer tests if they want to holiday in countries deemed to be low-risk and may not have to quarantine when they return from countries classed as medium risk, including popular Mediterranean resorts.

Any guesses as to whether Greece will be red, yellow or green?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 05, 2021, 08:34:00 PM »
Well - As of today (5/4/21) we still don't know about foreign travel. However, I'm pleased that my haircut booking for 13th April is going ahead.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 05, 2021, 09:34:46 PM »
He (Boris) always said the update regarding travel would be addressed 12th April - it was Social and other Media outlets saying otherwise......

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 05, 2021, 09:44:42 PM »
I doubt they will be green, Jim...

Offline Charlie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 05, 2021, 10:27:00 PM »
I have this evening wasted about one hour of my life listening to Boris telling me sod all.

Offline Fenton

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 05, 2021, 10:53:34 PM »
Surprised you bothered to tune in

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 06, 2021, 01:25:48 AM »
To be fair to Boris - no easy task - he doesn't waffle as much, and he does seem to be listening more to people who know what they're talking about.

The Press this morning was forecasting news on travel, but, unsurprisingly, that turned out to be as accurate as the Daily Express forecasting cataclysmic weather.

The Greek infection rate is up by one point to 200 per 100,000, with 8.3% of the population fully-vaccinated. So a lot remains to be done.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 06, 2021, 02:17:07 AM »
Yes, they were saying there would be news on travel today..

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 06, 2021, 10:57:50 AM »
Sadly, not us this summer, due to a wee health issue  :'(. Hopefully get back to the friendliest village we have ever visited next year. Fingers crossed for all of you folks who have made plans for this season.  8)
If its not one thing,its your mother.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni