Author Topic: End of September  (Read 7930 times)

Offline hobbes

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
End of September
« on: June 09, 2020, 11:34:24 PM »
Hello everyone, we are looking to sneak out for a week at the end of September this year, although unfortunately the Vicky isn't available so we are looking at Barras. What is the weather like September into October? Is San Stef shutting down by the beginning of October-will this year be different? Sell us on the idea! ;D

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: End of September
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 12:47:02 AM »
Been several times at the end of September and a bit of October. The weather can be totally random - hot one day, cold the next. But the sea is lovely and warm. Take plenty of books, or a well-loaded Kindle.

Things start closing down steadily as trade declines. One by one the tavernas and bars close. The beach beds-migrate to their winter homes and the parasailing platform gets towed across the bay and settled to rest on the car-park. Maria says she's looking forward to lying in bed in her flat in Corfu Town and watching TV with a box of chocolates. Mistral runs out of retsina and Spiros says they won't be getting any until next year. With Zorba's closed, Pavlos trims the hedges on the front wall and has plenty of time to chat. The remaining tourists are concentrated into those eateries that are still open, and there's a sense of autumnal camaraderie. The nights are drawing in, and warmer clothes are needed in the evening, and perhaps a blanket on the bed.

If the wind is lashing cold rain along the streets, you wonder why you're not at home watching the telly. But if the sun shines, the days are gloriously hot and you feel as though you've cheated winter. The beach is vast and nearly empty, and the village is quiet and peaceful. For me, it all has a wonderful fin-de-siècle feeling.

Offline Charlie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 01:16:58 AM »
You have sold for me Jimbo.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 12:06:31 PM »
Re Vicky's - we normally close around 4th October ..... as this is the contract with Jet2 Holidays.....

Offline hobbes

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 12:38:50 PM »
Ooh Jimbo-that sounds Ok to me! We should have gone to Florida in April and we are just desperate for a week away-San Stef will be our reward for taking the disappointment of losing Florida so bravely!  ;D
Lesley we did wonder if that was the case that You would be closing then-unfortunately we cannot get the time off the week before or we would have been at Vicky in a heartbeat, especially after you gave us that lovely end room in the new block last year  ;) DH did say it wouldn't feel right cheating on the Vicky so I have promised him we can come up to the Vicky and eat in the bar and drink cocktails each day!

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 02:21:55 PM »
San Stefanos will be happy to see you and yes pop upto Vickys that would be lovely too...... hope you get your planned holiday, Barras is lovely and a great central location........

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 04:03:47 PM »
Barras is usually one of the last to close - but is, of course, at the mercy of TUI. We have been the last out of Vicky and Little Prince. It's quite odd waiting for a bus or taxi with no goodbye hugs and the whole place pretty much deserted. But Tasty Corner and Beachcomber stay open until the very last soul has abandoned the lovely ship. Little Prince looks vast with all the tables and chairs locked up inside.

One year there was panic on Little Prince's last night. Most places were closed, and consequently Dimitris had laid-off the chef. But the restaurant was totally stuffed full of people, with no chef. Dimitris had to give up being mine host and dancing, and retire to the kitchen. He had to phone Pavlos and ask him to come and dance, which he did. For old hands, it was a very funny drama. Dimitris was pouring sweat and a bit manic. Pipina was rolling her eyes with that "I told you so!" look that women practise from the age of three. Pavlos danced superbly, as always, and it turned into a very happy celebration of months of long hours and toil coming to a close. The next day, the chairs and tables were stacked inside. The main doors were locked. Ours was the last bus, and only us on it, so when the others had gone, Mixalis said "Just shut the pool door. I'll come and lock up later."

If you think of it as one of those English beach holidays you remember, when you could get sunburned one day and soaked the next, you'll be fine. It is, as the Americans say, a crap-shoot. Go prepared for everything. We spent nearly four weeks at Nafsika on September/October and had summer weather the whole time. Pour a small libation to Apollo - it helps; the Christians may have built their churches over the temples, but the old gods are still there, warring between lightning and sunshine.

Offline hobbes

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 04:39:09 PM »
Lesley-we're coming after all!  ;D 8) I talked nicely to a colleague at work and we have swapped our weeks so we are coming 21st September for 11 days-Sorry-that means we will probably be the last men standing in the hotel! I'm so excited, lets hope Covid19 doesn't cock this holiday up for us.

GarySam

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 04:47:38 PM »
As we have rescheduled our late June 20 holiday to mid Jun 21 we are keenly keeping an eye open for September in case we are able to freely travel. We actually have flights booked for a three city Italian trip early September, but we are not sure how we feel about restrictions in big cities such as Rome, Florence and Bologna. If social distancing is still in full force I don't want to be queuing for hours and hours to see St Peters or the statue of David, or the birth of Venus etc.

We would much prefer the chance of a simple beach holiday and hopefully be allowed to take vouchers or rebook the trip to Italy. Its Easyjet out and Jet2 return. Guess time will tell.

Kernowfox

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 04:51:13 PM »
We have visited either in May, June, September or October. Overall I favour May or June, warmer and longer days. However we have always enjoyed our September/ October holidays and agree with Jimbo’s assessment. Weather is simply more of a lottery at the end of the season. One year, staying at the Tsaros (our favourite) we walked down from San Stefanos to Agios Georgios. It was fine all the way down. On our return the heavens opened and stayed that way for 3 or 4 hours. We should have ordered a taxi...but instead attempted to get back via the Arillas to San Stefanos coastal section.Still not sure how we managed to get up the torrent of water and mud.

geordieborn

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 05:07:07 PM »
Barras is usually one of the last to close - but is, of course, at the mercy of TUI. We have been the last out of Vicky and Little Prince. It's quite odd waiting for a bus or taxi with no goodbye hugs and the whole place pretty much deserted. But Tasty Corner and Beachcomber stay open until the very last soul has abandoned the lovely ship. Little Prince looks vast with all the tables and chairs locked up inside.

One year there was panic on Little Prince's last night. Most places were closed, and consequently Dimitris had laid-off the chef. But the restaurant was totally stuffed full of people, with no chef. Dimitris had to give up being mine host and dancing, and retire to the kitchen. He had to phone Pavlos and ask him to come and dance, which he did. For old hands, it was a very funny drama. Dimitris was pouring sweat and a bit manic. Pipina was rolling her eyes with that "I told you so!" look that women practise from the age of three. Pavlos danced superbly, as always, and it turned into a very happy celebration of months of long hours and toil coming to a close. The next day, the chairs and tables were stacked inside. The main doors were locked. Ours was the last bus, and only us on it, so when the others had gone, Mixalis said "Just shut the pool door. I'll come and lock up later."

If you think of it as one of those English beach holidays you remember, when you could get sunburned one day and soaked the next, you'll be fine. It is, as the Americans say, a crap-shoot. Go prepared for everything. We spent nearly four weeks at Nafsika on September/October and had summer weather the whole time. Pour a small libation to Apollo - it helps; the Christians may have built their churches over the temples, but the old gods are still there, warring between lightning and sunshine.
More to do with another post on here! Jimbo you are a "one man band" in trying to keep things going on the forum - well done that man!

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 07:02:24 PM »
Just for info - Barras is now Jet2 holidays not TUI since 2019 so this year 2020 and next summer too 2021........
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:05:14 PM by Lesley »

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 07:31:06 PM »
Lesley-we're coming after all!  ;D 8) I talked nicely to a colleague at work and we have swapped our weeks so we are coming 21st September for 11 days-Sorry-that means we will probably be the last men standing in the hotel! I'm so excited, lets hope Covid19 doesn't cock this holiday up for us.

Wow how cool is that. If only................................maybe if things continue to improve we'll get away as well. 8)
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 07:32:10 PM »
Forgot to add we need our money back from TUI first.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 07:42:11 PM »
Ah lovely see you then September at Vickys - you won't be last standing as we have our private bookings too still in res.....catch you in a few months then....

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni