Author Topic: Will San Stefanos survive  (Read 4896 times)

Offline Charlie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Will San Stefanos survive
« on: April 23, 2020, 10:01:38 PM »
I am a newbie on this forum but a regular visitor to San Stefanos. I hope as i am sure you all do that the businesses all survive but I do believe that there could be many casualties.

Offline David A

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Will San Stefanos survive
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 01:31:55 AM »
I am a newbie on this forum but a regular visitor to San Stefanos. I hope as i am sure you all do that the businesses all survive but I do believe that there could be many casualties.
I hate to say it Charlie, but I totally agree with you, none of us have ever faced such a challenge in our lifetimes. I just hope, for everyone's sake, that we come out the other side without too many casualties.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 02:04:38 AM »
We/they have no option but to come out the otherside. What's the alternative? Of course some businesses will suffer but that goes for the whole world. People have to make a living and when you've got a fantastic, beautiful country like Greece people will always go there.   
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 02:07:53 AM »
I think in some ways the Greek people are more prepared for this than northern Europe. They've been through years of austerity. It's very sad that just when the economy was growing, this hits them. In the UK and other more northerly countries we are used to plagues and famines being far away, in Africa or the Indian sub-continent.

Greece has handled the pandemic very well so far. But they are certainly aware that opening the flood-gates for tourism may open the flood-gates for a health disaster. Perhaps they will decide not to do it at all. I hear that the Greek government is not going to allow tourist venues to open until July 1st. Will that push back to August or later? The economic consequences are cataclysmic.

The EU must swiftly lift borrowing restrictions and print money to give people at least a minimum income.

Meanwhile, Turkey is exploiting the situation as usual to serve its own selfish and opportunist goals.

Those of us who go regularly to Agios Stefanos have many friends there whom we love. Those of us in the UK who are elderly and frail face a year of lock-down, and all we can do is to send love and solidarity.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:11:06 AM by Jimbo »

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
Totally agree Jim, but they are now looking at lifting travel restrictions at the end of July, have put a link in 'up up and away'

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 03:11:35 PM »
I think it's July first, actually. I find the idea that they can open the tourist industry and retain social distancing totally incredible. Four people in the baggage reclaim? Laughable.

It's a terrible dilemma for Corfu. Currently, they have no infections. But statistically it's almost certain that they will when tourists arrive, a significant number of whom will be silent carriers with no symptoms.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 05:13:08 PM »
Yes sorry Jim, 1st July :)

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 05:41:13 PM »
Five confirmed in Corfu to date.
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 04:05:36 PM »
It is difficult to imagine just how they will manage it.I know there will be far fewer visitors but even so it will not be easy.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni