Author Topic: A week to remember  (Read 12402 times)

GarySam

A week to remember
« on: September 16, 2019, 01:43:40 PM »
Well that came and went all too quickly, but the bottom line, we had a fantastic week in San Stefanos again.

It all started a bit poorly with a 50 minute delay at Manchester due to the cleaning team turning up late, so slot missed and a 15 minute wait on the tarmac.
Once we arrived in Corfu things improved, we had booked a private taxi and had paid online, but due to the delay we ended up sharing a lovely minivan from the San Stefanos Travel people. As a way of saying sorry they gave us a 20 euro refund in a little welcome pack. Anyway, no waiting and an hour later we were at the Little Prince. We were given a lovely two bed apartment right above the reception, huge private balcony. A quick change later and we were off for lunch via Hippopots as we wanted some personalised items from them, which when we collected later in the week were amazing.
Saturday was spent at the beach and in the evening we went to the Arillas wine festival. We had a taxi there and back pre-booked again through San Stefanos Travel which was the same Minivan as before with other wine festival goers. The festival itself was a too busy for me, huge queue’s for everything, but was an experience we were glad we had tried, but likely won’t repeat. Back in SS it was to Town Pizza for takeaway and then to the balcony for Ouzo and a few slices, very yummy.
Sunday was a beach day again and we arranged to hire a boat for the following day for a four hour put-put down the coast. As we arrived to collect it on the Monday, but the weather changed and a bit of a storm hit as we were getting instructions, so alas no boat that day. We decided to walk to Afionas, which was great in the drizzle until it cleared and the sun came out. We made it to where the Dionysos restaurant used to be and it has been completely remodelled for 2019 and is now called Zeus’s Throne. Still has the great views of St Georges Bay and the food was fantastic. The walk back was a bit of a struggle in the sun, but mostly downhill and we slept well that night.
Tuesday was the day we eventually hired the boat and headed south, first stop was Porto Timoni bay near Afionas. We dropped anchor, had a snorkel to the beach and back for refreshments on the boat before again heading south towards Palaiokastritsa. We had a little trip round the bay and harbour before heading back north and dropping anchor by a lovely horseshoe pebble beach which is only accessible by the sea. Another swim to the beach, where we collected a few pretty pebbles before finishing off the last of our refreshments on the boat and heading back to San Stef making the most of the 30hp engine. All in all it was a wonderful half day afloat and followed by a visit to Havana, where to my embarrassment I seemed to have a fare few pebbles from the beach in my swim shorts.
Wednesday was overcast but warm enough to relax on the beach and we took an extended lunch at Havana with way too many G&Ts after the food, wine and ouzo.
Thursday was our last full day and the gods were kind and we had a lovely day on the beach and playing in the waves, until Sam was stung, bitten or trod on something alive. Luckily I didn’t have to perform the ‘Friends’ scene as I had a sting pen with me and pee was not needed. By the time we walked back along the beach to the bridge, it had faded to a tingle and just became a funny story.
We had a great last night and a leisurely breakfast before out taxi zipped us back to the airport on Friday, straight in, baggage dropped off quickly, then a 45 minute queue at security. Once through we just had time for a quick purchase in DF before joining our boarding queue for flight back to Manchester which was bang on time.
Like I said, it all went too quickly, but good this tend to feel like that don’t they?

geordieborn

Re: A week to remember
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 02:33:05 PM »
Think you will need a holiday after all that! Wonderful.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 03:27:47 PM »
Thanks for that. The magic never ends!

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »
What a great review, sounds more exciting than our lazy holiday sitting on the beach ;D

Offline David A

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 11:20:22 PM »
Got me right in the mood for arriving in the village on Wednesday evening. My weeks plans are more in keeping with Karen's though  ;D

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 02:46:57 AM »
Got me right in the mood for arriving in the village on Wednesday evening. My weeks plans are more in keeping with Karen's though  ;D

Haha ;D. Lucky you, have a lovely holiday :)

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 03:04:44 PM »
Great review and you certainly packed enough in.

We arrived yesterday and for th3 first tim3 ever ha£ to queue to ge5 into the airport on arrival.
Our taxi is alway therefor us though.
Problems with our room though,just where it is in relation to the lift,so not full of Bon Home 

GarySam

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »
Don't get me wrong, we spent plenty time on the beach snoring on the loungers  :D

GarySam

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 03:21:33 PM »
Hope all improves for you Maggie

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 04:59:05 PM »
Yes Maggie hope it gets sorted for you.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »
I'm sure Mixalis will sort you out!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 11:44:57 AM »
Hope your ceramics got home OK and are being enjoyed by the recipients! Thanks for ordering from us.  :)

GarySam

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 03:41:15 PM »
The Ceramics did indeed make it home safely (both ways of wrapping were fine :-) ). The turtle has pride of place near the TV and the cat bowls were an instant hit.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 06:28:40 PM »
Still very warm for the time of year and very busy.
Pleased for all the businesses.

Room not sorted but will be tomorrow.
The problem really stems(in my opinion) from having 2 people sharing the booking job taking part of the week each-a touch of the right hand/left hand situation and lack of meaningful communication.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 07:29:49 PM »
We had issues in May at the airport. Had to queue about 40 mins as 4 planes in at once. Queue  went right back to the apron!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni