Author Topic: Walks North?  (Read 25045 times)

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Walks North?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 11:34:30 PM »
Reading this takes me back to the time my son and family came with us,the last year children were allowed to stay at Thomas Bay.
My son and I did that walk with the youngest GD in a buggy and she is 14 now.

Offline Corixa

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 12:22:17 PM »
Reporting back after our return, from a dark and stormy San Stefanos, yesterday.

We tried the walk North in our first week and all went well until Avliotes. We missed the track/road down to Loggas Beach/Peroulades and my phone decided not to want to update Google maps with our position and was as such useless. Any way we had a nice long walk, did go up church and tagged the Ilias Taverna for a visit. When we got back to the Romanza I checked the route in more detail on the iPad and could clearly see that the track we needed to take was right, well left actually, by the Satellite Cafe. We did the walk again in our second week and did not get lost this time. Also the walk up the road from The Romanza to the junction where the olive grove section meets it was not arduous or busy and only took 15 minutes. We used this a number of times to walk down through the olive grove to the town in the mornings, took about an hour.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 01:37:35 PM »
Thank you Corixa, that sounds a lovely walk.  :)

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 02:00:42 PM »
Yes it does,but sadly one we could no longer do.

Offline Corixa

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 07:30:05 PM »
In addition to the walks north we also walked to Afionas twice and Arillas and back a few times. The first time we came out on the cliff tops from the top of the track by the Fantasea restaurant we were pretty stunned by the view across to Arillas and back across San Stefanos. I would definitely recommend this for a short walk. Also stop at the little rustic cafe that serves home made ice cream, freshly squeezed orange juice and cold beers and a host of other hot drinks and snacks.

Above Afionas the view from the Dionysos taverna overlooking Agios Georgios is also a stunner. The walk up from Arillas is mostly a good surface but a bit of a slog. I would not want to attempt it in high Summer, although some of the views along the way are also just stunning.

Clive

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 07:56:50 PM »
However many times I make the Arillas walk I always marvel at the fire.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2019, 08:59:05 PM »
We walked up there today. The torrential rain has gone, at least until Monday, but cool this morning. Of course, the views along the headland are wonderful. Akrotiri is one of the most beautiful bars I know anywhere. It's so peaceful. Then down the road and called in at Tsaros to to say hello to old friends: it's still open.
Looks like from Monday we have a stormy week, but when it's wet or dark the residents at Nafsika go into blitz mode. Great place to eat great food and chat to others who have braved the vagaries of October weather.
The village is in shut-down mode. Most of the sunbeds have gone from the beach. The tourist population is shrinking, and the local people are looking forward to a long and well-deserved rest.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni