Author Topic: Rose Gardens  (Read 35231 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Gardens
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 08:41:59 PM »
When I looked this morning it was showing 34 for Thursday.

geordieborn

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 08:46:37 PM »
Might have to park the beach day tomorrow as the forecast is for sunshine and thunderstorms with a temp of 29 so not 35 as suggested by Mike at the Princess Bar.
Well you can keep the thunderstorms there, but a tiny bit of the 29c would be nice here in the UK – to be honest 20c would be good!

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 12:51:20 AM »
The storms aren’t usually too long but we had hail stones in May.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 07:45:09 PM »
Well today certainly wasn't 35 degrees as it was cloudy and dull all day. Still went to the beach though and it was warm. Spent a couple of hours in Manthos when we had a shower and the rest on the beach. Just got back to the apartment and the sun's come out. Would you adam and eve it.
Off to Olympia again tonight.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 08:03:40 PM »
Well we have had a wet day and now the sun is out and I am on the beach at Aberavon-not quite San Stef but it will do until next week.

geordieborn

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 08:31:13 PM »
Well today certainly wasn't 35 degrees as it was cloudy and dull all day. Still went to the beach though and it was warm. Spent a couple of hours in Manthos when we had a shower and the rest on the beach. Just got back to the apartment and the sun's come out. Would you adam and eve it.
Off to Olympia again tonight.
Tomorrow looks like there is a chance of more rain, but warmer. Warmer still after that and lovely sunshine for the next 2 weeks – enjoy!

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 09:50:24 AM »
It's Thursday morning around 8.30 and it's brilliant sunshine and not a cloud in sight. Probably pee down by midday then.
Yesterday's meal at Olympia was excellent. Had an early night as well.
Beachcomber tonight follwed by a quiz at the 3W.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 11:23:48 AM »
Keep that sun on duty please.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 07:22:43 PM »
It's still Thursday and we still have clear skies though the wind has picked up but not the Mistral we've been reliably informed.

Okay a warning for those travelling later this month - wasps. They're everywhere especially away from the beach though you still see a few there. Also mozzies. They are in abundance. My wife and I have taken all the usual steps and she has 10 bites and me 7 and we still have one night to go. We haven't met anyone yet who hasn't been bitten.

geordieborn

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 07:39:52 PM »
It's still Thursday and we still have clear skies though the wind has picked up but not the Mistral we've been reliably informed.

Okay a warning for those travelling later this month - wasps. They're everywhere especially away from the beach though you still see a few there. Also mozzies. They are in abundance. My wife and I have taken all the usual steps and she has 10 bites and me 7 and we still have one night to go. We haven't met anyone yet who hasn't been bitten.
I love it when they get that forecast wrong, no sign of thunder on there now, just clear sky apart from the 22nd, but sure that could change. Can't be bad still 30c and above since the start of the month....

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 08:33:01 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Tredegar Boy about the bugs and buzzers.
We do have the all the necessary as you say but if they are determined.....

geordieborn

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »
Well since my last post “Tropical Rainstorm Gabrielle” has hit us! Weird, quite warm still for here, but this very fine soaking rain bowing around...

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2019, 10:36:07 AM »
It's our last day and we've awoken to a cloudless sky and brilliant sunshine and its hot. Day by the pool until the coach picks us up at 5.15. I'll let you know how the journey home goes tomorrow.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 11:57:17 AM »
A late return for you then Tredegar Boy.
That was why we switched to the Monday flight from Cardiff,we are quite a way from the airport here.
Early start Monday though but we land about 11.40 Corfu time.

Have a lovely last day and safe journey home.

geordieborn

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2019, 05:11:29 PM »

The mention of mosquito yesterday made me think more about it this morning.  Going back there after many years that there was a surprisingly high number of the horrors. I’ve never been particularly bothered by them, but the OH is the opposite. So I was very disappointed to be bitten to hell on the first night! Elsewhere in Europe I could go out on the balcony at nights in just shorts and not have a bite, whereas the OH alongside has clothes with feet and hands tucked in and still was bitten. Hence in Corfu I did not spray or cover up. In short they are a different breed there, but my other main point was that after all these years away, one particular type is apparently present there in Corfu now – the tiger mosquito. If you don’t know about them I would suggest it worth looking up or at least noting they are not just night creatures, they bite during the day! The only good bit of news on them is the fact they are very poor flyers and will not go beyond 200m or so of their water birth place. Any breeze or wind and they are not too happy, so normally the beach is good, but I guess not so too near the river there. Bad news is they can breed in just a few millimetres of water, so a place with plant pots and saucers is ideal for them.
I know for different people different mosquito protection works for them, but not others. We (I) was not bitten again in the following 16 days we were there, used little spray, spent almost all the time during the day at the beach. What spray I used is the OH lifeline against them – autan tropical – she has tried them all…
Enjoy your last day Tredegar Boy and I hope those horrid mozzies don't follow you to the airport!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni