Author Topic: And another one....?  (Read 22918 times)

Offline AndrewK

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
And another one....?
« on: August 29, 2019, 12:53:58 PM »
The Jet2 takeover of San Stefanos looks set to continue as the word on the street is that Barras is going with them for next year.

Anyone else heard that?

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: And another one....?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 12:58:11 PM »
Barras is already with Jet2 holidays for this summer 2019

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 01:37:36 PM »
We only have the option of Tui from Cardiff at the moment.

geordieborn

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 02:22:29 PM »
Thanks for the info folk, would never have thought of looking at Jet2 for a package (or any package for that matter - with anyone). Had a quick look just to "debate/argue" with myself on the matter and found they have:-
Manchester 01Jun20 7 nights p/person
Barras   £501
Perros   £643
Kapetanios   £514
Tsaros   £484
Vicky   £645
Villa Elia   £1362
Villa Zeus   £1454

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »
The Tsaros apartments are fabulous - usually 2 bedroom. But only if you don't mind a walk up a steep hill, or can afford a car or quad.

If you can stand half an hour of cheesy home movie, this is us staying at Tsaros in 2018:

https://youtu.be/uu7_iaQXKbQ

Herein is
Hull train to Leeds
Leeds-Bradford airport and Jet2 sunset flight to Corfu - why you should sit on the left of the plane
Tsaros pool bar
On the beach at Mistral
Manthos at sunset
Pavlos' birthday party at Zorbas
Tsaros apartment
Journey down the hill
Going to the airport for flight home

And my ever-beautiful Gillie!

geordieborn

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 04:34:45 PM »
I read a number of old posts on here and someone described their visit to the Tsaros and it sounded like they did exactly the same journey as us in May 1993. Arrived (after going via Sidari ::)) more than 2 hours from the airport at 2:30 ish in the morning, left by the rep with all our cases and 2 kids on the road outside the Nafsika and this odd looking Greek guy (Speros ;)) came trudging out. In a surprisingly American English accent tells us “I’ve called Nikos and he will be down to take you up to your apartment shortly”! The “down/up” and “shortly” bit did not bode well. The red pick-up with me and the oldest in the back and OH and youngest (3) in the front, wife holding the passenger door which did not shut properly! He did indeed take us up the track (no tarmac back then, and yes we were there when they did eventually do the road), pitch black with a polecat halfway up blocking our way…. We were even more worried when Nikos couldn’t open the apartment door, turns out it had just been varnished and was stuck. The location more than made up for the hill, but there are a number of places in that area with similar views. I again wonder what the owners are paid as on those dates, take off the flight cost and that’s only £260 for the accommodation!! I do like that Jet2 have anything from 3-54 days duration and alternative flight options.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:02:41 PM by geordieborn »

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 05:54:11 PM »
I wonder why Spiros was involved. Mind you, everybody in AGStef is related to everybody else. Nikos is no longer doing the driving to and from Tsaros because his eyesight is failing, but he's a lovely bloke, as is Thanassis. There are other apartments, but you'll never get anything as good as Tsaros without paying a fortune!

Spiros spent many years in New York, and the locals say his English is better than his Greek!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:56:02 PM by Jimbo »

geordieborn

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »
I wonder why Spiros was involved. Mind you, everybody in AGStef is related to everybody else. Nikos is no longer doing the driving to and from Tsaros because his eyesight is failing, but he's a lovely bloke, as is Thanassis. There are other apartments, but you'll never get anything as good as Tsaros without paying a fortune!

Spiros spent many years in New York, and the locals say his English is better than his Greek!
Speros was involved because Nikos was working for him as a waiter at the time, either as a job or to help each other out.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 09:02:44 PM »
That makes some sense. Spiros Kapovitsos got so sick of the Americans calling him Sp-EYE-ros that he started using the spelling Speros. In Greek it's  Σπύρος, and comes from the patron saint, Agios Spyridon.

Love these stories of Agios Stefanos many years ago!

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 09:28:19 PM »
We are seriously looking at Jet2 for the future. Flying out of Stansted this year, Tui had a make shift desk and no conveyor belt for the cases, porters were carting them away. Jet2 had a much more professional look and the staff were very helpful to us, when we couldn't find the TUI desk, tucked up a corner!

Offline telford_mike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 10:35:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing Jimbo, I enjoyed that. Very informative as we're staying at Tsaros for the first time next month.

The Tsaros apartments are fabulous - usually 2 bedroom. But only if you don't mind a walk up a steep hill, or can afford a car or quad.

If you can stand half an hour of cheesy home movie, this is us staying at Tsaros in 2018:

https://youtu.be/uu7_iaQXKbQ

Herein is
Hull train to Leeds
Leeds-Bradford airport and Jet2 sunset flight to Corfu - why you should sit on the left of the plane
Tsaros pool bar
On the beach at Mistral
Manthos at sunset
Pavlos' birthday party at Zorbas
Tsaros apartment
Journey down the hill
Going to the airport for flight home

And my ever-beautiful Gillie!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 12:10:10 AM »
Mike - You will love it, I'm sure. The pool bar is a very social place, especially in the late evening. Up there in the morning there is only the sound of the birds and chickens and as you gaze over the village far below if you're  lucky you may see a hawk soaring on the updraft.

Alas - we've decided that we're too old and crumbly to face the hill again, and now dwell with the denizens of the lower levels. Enjoy it for us! 

geordieborn

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 12:14:00 AM »
That makes some sense. Spiros Kapovitsos got so sick of the Americans calling him Sp-EYE-ros that he started using the spelling Speros. In Greek it's  Σπύρος, and comes from the patron saint, Agios Spyridon.

Love these stories of Agios Stefanos many years ago!

You lost me on the first bit about Speros Jimbo.
But on the history. A fraction of the story is here in this thread
http://www.sanstefanos.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,1366.msg42140.html#msg42140
, one of the main reasons I joined the forum. These people knew the folks there, who were (almost) always at war with each others families. I doubt we will ever know the real story.... The bit about "Michalis Mouzakitis came home from ‘the ships' and built Anatoli apartments" is the very same I was thinking of when I said there are places there as good as Tsaros, better for many reasons in my opinion, but not least because the guy Michalis Mouzakitis who is an "original" in the greatest sense!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 12:17:38 AM »
Nikos was doing pick ups outside Barras just last week Jim!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 02:28:14 AM »
That's what he told me a few weeks ago! Bless.

geordieborn - His name is Spiros with an i
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:29:50 AM by Jimbo »

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni