Author Topic: And another one....?  (Read 22922 times)

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: And another one....?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 10:54:41 AM »
Sadly we can no longer make the trek up either,but mustn't dwell on what we can't do make the most of what we can,and there is plenty still to enjoy.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 07:58:08 PM »
I read a number of old posts on here and someone described their visit to the Tsaros and it sounded like they did exactly the same journey as us in May 1993. Arrived (after going via Sidari ::)) more than 2 hours from the airport at 2:30 ish in the morning, left by the rep with all our cases and 2 kids on the road outside the Nafsika and this odd looking Greek guy (Speros ;)) came trudging out. In a surprisingly American English accent tells us “I’ve called Nikos and he will be down to take you up to your apartment shortly”! The “down/up” and “shortly” bit did not bode well. The red pick-up with me and the oldest in the back and OH and youngest (3) in the front, wife holding the passenger door which did not shut properly! He did indeed take us up the track (no tarmac back then, and yes we were there when they did eventually do the road), pitch black with a polecat halfway up blocking our way…. We were even more worried when Nikos couldn’t open the apartment door, turns out it had just been varnished and was stuck. The location more than made up for the hill, but there are a number of places in that area with similar views. I again wonder what the owners are paid as on those dates, take off the flight cost and that’s only £260 for the accommodation!! I do like that Jet2 have anything from 3-54 days duration and alternative flight options.
I believe that "someone" was me. Probably wrote it about our visit in about 1990. That hill was even worse than it is now before they laid the tarmac and I remember walking behind one lady as she teetered along in her high heels ,wonder she didn't break her ankle.

If you were there that long ago Geordieborn I wonder if you remember Nikos' mother. She had her own little cottage and you could look down from the apartments and see her pottering about in her garden tending to her vegetables. You also may remember the little gift shop up the hill on the right hand side, she used to sit outside while her granddaughter looked after the shop.  Of course there was no swimming pool in those days or pool bar.

geordieborn

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 02:42:30 PM »
Yes Dupnica I do believe it was the post from you on the old “flights or package” topic. Do wish I had read it all before repeating the subject recently :-[.
Thanks to you, we do now recall the old girl sitting outside the trinket shop and what must be Thanassis lovely sister looking after it? If you were there in 1990 I guess Nikos did not then have the 2 apartments (now 4) on the right as you go up the hill? It was one of those we stayed in first time around.
To find your post again I had to go through many more, some very interesting threads.... Shame people let what’s said here get to them and they leave the forum, but I do understand in some cases why they do when people get so heated.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 03:18:26 PM »
Some people are remarkably thin-skinned these days. There's one I remember from a while ago, whom I will not name, who posted frequently promoting Romanza and it's offshoot, then original Mythos. Frankly, when he took his ball away it was a bit of a relief. It's possibly to argue passionately without dishing out abuse, isn't it? I don't think I could have survived as a broadcaster or writer if I couldn't accept disagreement. But there are those whom I have clashed with many times who remain friends across the differences. The forum now is a fairly sanitised zone compared to what it was. We've already seen objections to debating the merits of bus versus taxi. Mentioning that as things stand we're going to lose our EHIC cards and all the other benefits of EU membership will cause howls of protest. The Greeks have few such inhibitions and will argue loudly (very loudly) until the cows come home (or maybe the goats!). I think they've got it right!

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 05:43:43 PM »
We all have our own opinions and ideas formed through our own experiences and hopefully also with help from the advice of others.
We have our favourite places to eat or stay we have our preferred mode of travel and that is quite normal and healthy.

We here in W Wales are a bit stuck as far as getting to Corfu as we have only Tui flights from Cardiff and we have now given up trekking to Bristol except in very extreme circumstances.Maybe things will change for us befor we’re  too old to make it over.

geordieborn

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
We all have our own opinions and ideas formed through our own experiences and hopefully also with help from the advice of others.
We have our favourite places to eat or stay we have our preferred mode of travel and that is quite normal and healthy.

We here in W Wales are a bit stuck as far as getting to Corfu as we have only Tui flights from Cardiff and we have now given up trekking to Bristol except in very extreme circumstances.Maybe things will change for us befor we’re  too old to make it over.
I have to say we are spoilt for choice! Manchester is nearest, but Leeds not much different. Apart from which we are not averse to going to Stansted and have done so dozens of times in the last 12 years. Add to that, that we are also not at all bothered about a hop to somewhere like Bergamo, have a few nights there and fly on to Corfu. Was just looking at flights from there to Corfu for September, Ryanair €23 base!

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 10:09:34 AM »
I really miss the choice.
When we lived in Herts we were spoiled.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2019, 12:35:34 PM »
Living here in the Winter we have no choice on flights everything is via Athens meaning a minimum of 2 flights each way, mostly long connection times then via Athens (or a European hub) into 'somewhere' in the UK.  Over the years there have been various campaigns for winter direct flights into CFU but to no avail.  So 4 flights can be a costly outlay when having to come to UK in an emergency.  Also we have to take into consideration during Winter months flights can be cancelled in/out of Corfu due to low visability, then there is actually getting to/from the airport normally entailing a taxi each way as the local bus network is very limited during off season months.  All things to consider for those thinking about retiring here or visiting family 'off season'........ 

geordieborn

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 02:21:04 PM »
Living here in the Winter we have no choice on flights everything is via Athens meaning a minimum of 2 flights each way, mostly long connection times then via Athens (or a European hub) into 'somewhere' in the UK.  Over the years there have been various campaigns for winter direct flights into CFU but to no avail.  So 4 flights can be a costly outlay when having to come to UK in an emergency.  Also we have to take into consideration during Winter months flights can be cancelled in/out of Corfu due to low visability, then there is actually getting to/from the airport normally entailing a taxi each way as the local bus network is very limited during off season months.  All things to consider for those thinking about retiring here or visiting family 'off season'........
Ah I wondered if there were many people on here who ended up living there Lesley! We often thought of doing the same, but in the end decided the language was far too difficult and went elsewhere. And of course we knew living there, especially in winter, would be very different from holidays there….
I’ve read with interest the back posts on life there and attempts to extend the “holiday” season. I do wonder if there is a market there for none “sunbed/beach” visitors. Or is it a case of without the sun, beach and full swing resort there is no demand? 
Lesley the difficulties you mention are well known to us, they would not put us off. Reading some of your posts, winter there sounds superb! But it would have to be a place with heating, preferably the wood burner with several pallets of wood!

Offline Chrissyann

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 02:37:18 PM »
I really miss the choice.
When we lived in Herts we were spoiled.

I have just recently moved back to Yorkshire from the Midlands where we were 1/2 hour from park and ride (so easy). Now I have to go to Newcastle for a decent flight and as you get older the strain of an hours drive in the early hours is too much I've booked to stay in a hotel the night before .I have not been on the forum for a while but always read the comments.Do you think SS is changing ? I saw a lot of negativity this year 

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »
Chrissyann. We didn't think San Stefanos had changed much this year.. Still the lovely friendly locals, looking after us. We went in July and met up with lots of our holiday friends.

Offline Chrissyann

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2019, 03:14:16 PM »
Good ! I haven't being going long only 2014 but I fell in love with the people and place ,missed this year due to illness but booked for next  May/June  :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2019, 03:21:53 PM »
I have just recently moved back to Yorkshire from the Midlands where we were 1/2 hour from park and ride (so easy). Now I have to go to Newcastle for a decent flight and as you get older the strain of an hours drive in the early hours is too much I've booked to stay in a hotel the night before .I have not been on the forum for a while but always read the comments.Do you think SS is changing ? I saw a lot of negativity this year

I agree with Karen - the warm hugs are still the same. The demographic was a bit different late July and early August - that's the latest we've been.

Also agree about driving late at night. That's when the two hour time difference takes its toll. We're flying to Birmingham mid-October. We had to go from there because the Doncaster and Leeds flights end earlier. We're scheduled to land at about 9pm, but I've booked a night in the Holiday Inn. Brum to Hull is about a three hour drive in the dark - and if the plane is delayed, fatigue is a factor.

Welcome back to God's county! Where are you? Is Leeds a problem? Jet2 have three flights in the season, and there's also Ryanair if you can stand it! Mind you, low cloud often means a diversion, and strong cross-winds in England's highest airport can mean "interesting" landings with the plane crabbing sideways on final approach until seconds before touchdown! But where a planeload of soft southerners would be screaming, the tougher Yorkshire travellers merely chat and count down the hours before a decent pint and a good roast.

Offline Chrissyann

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2019, 03:28:24 PM »
Hi Jimbo, I'm in a little village near Leyburn so it's a treck which ever way we go,   Newcastle suited us because of the nearby hotel  and I prefer an early flight as you don't waste a day getting there. :D

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2019, 04:15:45 PM »
The Dales are so beautiful. Surely  it's worth a bit of a hassle to get to airport when you have such wonderful surroundings?

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni