Author Topic: Nafsica or Nafsika  (Read 8976 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Nafsica or Nafsika
« on: November 20, 2019, 04:11:49 PM »
A while ago there was a discussion on the subject of how to spell Princess Nafsika on Facebook. I researched this quite thoroughly, and you may find the results interesting or tedious:

It's all down to the Romans and Latin. Latin (or Italian) does not have a K character. So when the Roman and later scholars wrote about the myth of how Odysseus was shipwrecked on an island bearing a marked resemblance to Kerkyra, they changed all the Ks to CC. Greek does not have the letter C. So it's about alphabets.

There is also some confusion about the letter U in Greek. It's really a V or F sound. I was brought up to pronounce Epidaurus in the Bible as epi-daw-rus, but if you've been to the wonderful theatre near Nafplion you'll know is epi-dav-ross. The Latin scholars, confronted with the word Nafsika in Greek changed it Nausiccaa - which sounds to us like a stomach complaint.

In Homer it's Nausikâ. Notice the kappa (K) and the U (F or V) and you get Nafsika. O Spiros fully accepted the answer, so you may notice that the webcam is Nafsika and not Nafsica.

Keep warm!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:33:47 PM by Jimbo »

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
Re: Nafsica or Nafsika
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 06:46:21 PM »
Thanks Jim, great post :)

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 07:17:55 PM »
I stand corrected Jimbo. I will duly correct future posts
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 08:24:04 PM »
That is interesting,I find etymology fascinating.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 09:13:05 PM »
Thanks, all. I should really have said that the U is actually mostly halfway between F and V sounds. That's hard for English-speakers to distinguish.

Greek people are endlessly forgiving about these things, but it's nice to get it right.

I find the letter G a bit of a problem. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's almost an H sound. For example, England in Greek is Agglia and that's fairly hard with two gammas - Agg -LEE-a.

But the real name of the village is, of course, not San Stefanos but Agios Stefanos, and it seems to be much softer - AH-yee-oss STAY-fan-oss.

I'm sure Tredegar Boy will be able to help with Welsh, which has similar traps!

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 06:49:13 PM »
Unfortunately Jimbo though welsh I'm of the generation that didn't have welsh on the curriculam when in school. So my knowledge doesn't stretch beyond the national anthem and a few key words.

My sons were doing compulsory welsh from age 7 up to 6th form under the Welsh Language Act and are far more knowledgable on such matters.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 08:52:55 PM »
I moved to Wakes 22 years ago,learned the language and worked in a Welsh  Medium school.
My grandchildren have Welsh as their first language.

I found it fascinating,having learned Latin and German at school,languages seemingly totally different but there are many clues in each.
When I first  started Welsh lessons I used to practice reading addresses in the phone book out loud to get the pronunciation.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 12:20:33 AM »
My Welsh mother didn't speak any English until she was 11.

geordieborn

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 01:13:10 AM »
Amazing, just as well my mum told me to watch out for anyone south of the Tyne Bridge and north of Ashington ( ˘︹˘ )

Offline gillie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 04:07:07 PM »
As I understand it, it's not "u" on its own that sounds like an f or v, it does sound like an "u" as pronounced in the north of England. It only sounds like f or v when precede by an e or a u, as in Epidaurus and or eugenia which is pronounces evyenniaa. I think. Anyway it's what I was taught in the Greek classes I went to!

Offline gillie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 04:13:22 PM »
Also we were taught that the double gammas in Agglia can be pronounced more like anglia! It's all very complicated - possibly regional??

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 10:12:54 PM »
Amazing, just as well my mum told me to watch out for anyone south of the Tyne Bridge and north of Ashington ( ˘︹˘ )

My first husband (died very young) came from Ashington

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 10:15:10 PM »
My Welsh mother didn't speak any English until she was 11.

Very Welsh speaking here in this valley but of course it is a very ‘local’ dialect  and use of mutations.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni