Author Topic: End of term report - Summer 2018  (Read 11415 times)

Offline AndrewK

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
End of term report - Summer 2018
« on: December 29, 2018, 02:18:57 PM »
Once again we enjoyed a thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable break at our favourite destination.

It really is hard to beat SS as the long beach, great weather (in the main) along with superb food and drink make the place something special.

Sometimes it is hard to figure why it is not busier than usual in August (but I am not moaning, that's for certain, as the balance is about right).

Made couple of usual trips to Panorama Resturant at Logas Beach at Peroulades as the mussels in white wine sauce are very good. Must admit on second occasion  was a bit disappointed but they were very busy so perhaps it was forgivable.

Anybody who has not visited Afionas should put the place on the must-do list next time as it's a memorable village to visit and the meals at Porto Timoni were very good and the view breathtaking. Ok the wasps are a bit of a pain but the breathtaking panoramic views easily make up for that. 

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: End of term report - Summer 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 03:58:58 PM »
We, too, had a great time again this year. Three weeks end of June/July and two weeks Sept/October.

We were up at Tsaros in the summer - wonderful two-bedroom apartment with a huge balcony and great views over the bay. The schlep up the hill can be a bit much when it's hot, but the pool bar is nicely situated halfway for a pit-stop en route, and there's always a congenial bunch of people having a sup until late at night. Thanassis, Xristina and Nikos are terrific hosts.

Pavlos' birthday party at Zorba's was great fun, with an excellent Greek band, including the best bouzouki player on the island. The weather was unusually cool for July, but lovely for sitting on the beach beside Mistral. And the best mussels with home-made frites at Beachcomber - an annual treat for me! Forget Panorama - go to see Sue and get the moules.
If you can bear 30 minutes of holiday video you can see the highlights, starting at Hull and ending at a very hot Leeds/Bradford airport, including a rare sunset landing in Kerkyra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu7_iaQXKbQ

In the autumn we stayed on the flat at Barras, where the hospitality of George and the others was as great as usual. It did get very cold at times - it was utterly foul on my birthday, but was fine a couple of days later. Had the usual good food and good company, and watched the village starting to shut down for the winter.

I hope we'll be able to go next year. It was noticeably more expensive this year as a result of the devaluation of the pound, and a "No Deal" Brexit will almost certainly cause another significant drop. Fingers crossed! 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:06:40 PM by Jimbo »

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 01:02:08 PM »
Love the video I was back there!!Well done.

We will be staying in Little Prince in May again as we did for three weeks last year simply because there is a lift and my husband can't do stairs very well and hills are out now.
We couldn't get back in September/October but hope to this year,probably not from Cardiff though so we may have to make the trek to Bristol.

Our taxi driver friends have offered us a holiday for the whole winter up in Pavliana,we go and see them every year and have a party,and I must say it is very tempting.   

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 04:46:21 PM »
Thanks, Maggie. Really just a "home video" to capture the essence!

Little Prince is a great place to stay. Huge rooms, and if you're ever short of an opinion you can get one from Dimitris downstairs (or lift)!

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 07:42:35 PM »
We had a lovely holiday, as always, beginning of July. Stayed at Silver Moon, as always, lovely and central for everything. Nothing seemed to have changed too much. We always catch up with lovely friends whilst we are there, either at the apartments or in the restaurants and it never seems like a year since we last saw them all! Booked for first 2 weeks in July again 8)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 02:04:31 AM »
We hadagreat 2 weeks beginning of September. The 2 weeks was just about the best weather we have ever had with hot sunshine every day.
Our first 2 nights we spent in Corfu Town which was amazing and would recommend anyone to do that.
Once up in resort we stayed in Silvermoon private apartments which were huge. Loved seeing all our September friends. The food was as good as ever with my favourite being at Olympia.
We go 2 weeks later in 2019 so I can celebrate a significant birthday in our favourite place. We will be joined by various friends and my brothers and partners as well.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 11:39:48 AM »
We meet up with friends who stay at the Silver Moon.
We often just pop in during the evenings for a drink and a chat with Stamatis.
Time just slips away when you are there doesn't it.

We still haven't booked our second holiday,only got May sorted so far.
The problem is our oldest granddaughter will be 18 on 27th September so we need to be here for that so we would have to travel after that date but everywhere is closing by then these days.Not like when we first started going when we stayed until the end of October. 

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 03:58:08 PM »
We’re staying in Corfu town for our first night each time, this year, in the Arcadion Hotel (above Macdonalds). Any suggestions for good restaurants welcome 😀.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 11:11:12 AM »
Iris make your way upto Guildford Street a good selection of places to eat here, also one of my favs near to Metropolis church is The Venetian Well and then on the Liston itself is Aegli either lunch or dinner there......

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 02:54:48 PM »
I’ve read good things about the Venetian Well, we might try that. Thanks, Lesley.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 01:49:04 PM »
Venetian well was great last time i was there.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 01:02:05 AM »
We were lucky enough to have 2 great holidays in 2018.

A week in May at the Kapetanios. Our first time there and it was great. The weather was stunning. We had friends up at the Romanza and some family over at Moro's

The main holiday was 2 weeks at Monday's behind Tsaros

The weather was good, mostly stunning with a couple of off days including one when a wind whipped up early morning....felt like a tornado had arrived!!

Had a great Saturday evening trip up to Afionas....lovely food at Anemos

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 12:44:14 PM »
Two holidays in San Steph every year-best prescription in the world.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 10:05:58 PM »
Iris. The Beer House near the new fort was amazing. Run by Nicos who used to be at Thomas Bay.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 12:06:28 PM »
Yes it's doing very well I believe.
He was a great loss to the Thomas Bay very popular and a hard worker,I remember him when he was still at school.
Hard to believe he has two children of his own now.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni